Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suits, not Suites

Howdy,

Starting a new job in the new year after quite some time working companies where most people wore jeans. Heading back to a suit & tie environment, so time for some serious clothes shopping!

I'll be in Singapore over Christmas, so wondering about having suits made vs buying new ones. I've never had a suit made, so wondering if anyone has any ideas/tips/advice?

Thanks!

RL

Originally posted by rlarosa View Post
    Howdy,

Starting a new job in the new year after quite some time working companies where most people wore jeans. Heading back to a suit & tie environment, so time for some serious clothes shopping!

I'll be in Singapore over Christmas, so wondering about having suits made vs buying new ones. I've never had a suit made, so wondering if anyone has any ideas/tips/advice?

Thanks!

RL
    There are many good tailors in Singapore. It all depends on your budget. A good suit needs time and at least one fitting (the tailor would fit a half-made jacket on you to make sure it fits properly). So if you've a tailor who tells you that he can get one done in 24 hours, be wary that you may be getting something less than the best.

Comment

If you are in Bangkok, you could go Pinky Tailor, I does all my work clothes and suits with them.....

https://www.facebook.com/pinky.pinky...ref=ts&fref=ts
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I get mine done at CYC @ Raffles Hotel.

http://www.cyccustomshop.com/

Comment

One of my favourite past times in BKK is to visit my tailor in Thong Lo for a new suit...

It's just such an entertaining experience, and he takes great pride in telling me that if he didn't know my fiance that he would be charging me double and to counter that banter, I tell him that he's still charging me too much for his product He generally takes around 2 weeks (if pushed, to create a final product)

I also use a local 'fashion' brand in Thailand for my suits - just for when I want that little bit extra and they have the added bonus of giving me a VAT refund on top of loyalty dicounts

Not too sure about the SIN scene for tailor made suits...

As CarbonMan mentioned be careful of the tailor who says he/she can have you a high quality suit ready for you in 24hrs, think of it as them showing you contempt for your money...

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
            If you are in Bangkok, you could go Pinky Tailor, I does all my work clothes and suits with them.....

https://www.facebook.com/pinky.pinky...ref=ts&fref=ts
            Agreed. Prefer to make my shirts / suits in BKK with Pinky, not so much because of the price (similar quality and price to my tailor in Singapore, maybe very slightly lower price), but because of the turnaround time. Recently made 10 shirts, 2 blazer and 3 pants within 4 days, and that is considered slower than normal due to busy period now. In Singapore, at this time of the year, would probably have taken easily over one month at my tailor.

Comment

Originally posted by jn82 View Post
              Agreed. Prefer to make my shirts / suits in BKK with Pinky, not so much because of the price (similar quality and price to my tailor in Singapore, maybe very slightly lower price), but because of the turnaround time. Recently made 10 shirts, 2 blazer and 3 pants within 4 days, and that is considered slower than normal due to busy period now. In Singapore, at this time of the year, would probably have taken easily over one month at my tailor.
              Glad to know that there another fan of Pinky here.....
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

As pointed out rather obviously by now, many Singaporeans don't make suits in Singapore. They go elsewhere to make them, like Bangkok.

Same here, so I won't derail this thread any further.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  As pointed out rather obviously by now, many Singaporeans don't make suits in Singapore. They go elsewhere to make them, like Bangkok.
                  Is this a case of the grass being greener elsewhere? As with many places, there're good ones and there are the bad ones. I believe a good suit is created by a tailor who has an eye for detail, a perfectionist, a good cutting talent and matching it with an equally good meticulous seamstress(ster) who does all the hard work in the backroom. In Singapore, I've heard that while shop front is here, the seamstress could be in Batam or Malaysia - to keep costs down.

Unfortunately I've yet to find my perfect tailor - at the price range that I can afford/wish to pay for. Perhaps I should take a holiday to BKK and try out Pinky!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                    I get mine done at CYC @ Raffles Hotel.

http://www.cyccustomshop.com/
                    They're expensive but offer beautiful fabrics.

Comment

I'd suggest making one. Even if you're on a budget, there are good tailors around that are really economical.

Buying a suit off the shelf will never look as good unless you've been spending most of your time in the gym and match the "Ken" proportions well lol

On the lower end, there is a taylor on the second floor of Hong Lim Building, Chinatown that charges around S$150 for suits. A friend of mine goes there, the old man who runs the place is pretty good and friendly. I'm considering having some done up there.

I've had a few shirts done at The Executive at Suntec City. Pricier but they're good and the staff provide good advice.

Comment

Working...
                      X