Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SIN-Europe fares more expensive than vv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-Europe fares more expensive than vv?

Is it just me or is it that SIN-EUR-SIN fares tend to be more expensive than the opposite direction (EUR-SIN-EUR)? And why would that be?

Airlines set pricing at what each market is prepared to pay, fares ex SIN tend to be higher than say ex KUL/BKK/JKT due to higher wages & high disposable income rates in Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethor View Post
      Airlines set pricing at what each market is prepared to pay, fares ex SIN tend to be higher than say ex KUL/BKK/JKT due to higher wages & high disposable income rates in Singapore.
      But surely Europeans tend to have higher wages/disposable income compared to Singaporeans?

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one reason airlines price more expensively from their homebase is higher brand loyalty and recognition, and consequentially, higher demand. For example, if you were a German flying FRA-JFK, Lufthansa would probably come to mind before SQ, and from what I hear SQ prices very competitively on that route. For travellers originating their journey from Europe, they may chose to fly their home airline due to familiarity. This demand drives up fares.

Comment

Higher wages yes but higher disposable income no. Europe has much higher taxes & cost of living than Singapore which eats a higher percentage of income.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but one reason airlines price more expensively from their homebase is higher brand loyalty and recognition, and consequentially, higher demand. For example, if you were a German flying FRA-JFK, Lufthansa would probably come to mind before SQ, and from what I hear SQ prices very competitively on that route. For travellers originating their journey from Europe, they may chose to fly their home airline due to familiarity. This demand drives up fares.
            +1

Comment

You'll find that airline ticket prices aren't really linked to the distance you fly. It's a mystic dark art I don't claim to know well though.

Comment

My favourite answer:

Q. So the airlines use these cost factors to calculate a rational price for my ticket?
                A. No. That is determined by Rudy the Fare Chicken, who decides the price of each ticket individually by pecking on a computer keyboard sprinkled with corn. If an airline agent tells you that they're having "computer problems, " this means that Rudy is sick, and technicians are trying to activate the backup system, Conrad the Fare Hamster.
                Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/2...#storylink=cpy

Comment

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/blog...015-27m01.html

Haha, us Australians are complaining about the same thing, but we think we are the only country in the world that experiences this!

What I want to know, is why does it cost SGD2K+ to fly econ SG to Europe, when it costs the same to fly Aus to Europe?! Crazy! More bang for your buck on the longer trip!

Comment

Originally posted by ozdude View Post
                    http://www.theage.com.au/travel/blog...015-27m01.html

Haha, us Australians are complaining about the same thing, but we think we are the only country in the world that experiences this!

What I want to know, is why does it cost SGD2K+ to fly econ SG to Europe, when it costs the same to fly Aus to Europe?! Crazy! More bang for your buck on the longer trip!
                    2k+ for economy SIN to EUR would be more like full fare already, one can usually get a fare for 1.7k or less.

But still that's more than you can get ex EUR. I'm hearing you can find deals ex LHR for 500 plus pounds and Swiss is offering deals from 600 euro? Don't think you can find such fares ex SIN.

Comment

Originally posted by zxulee View Post
                      2k+ for economy SIN to EUR would be more like full fare already, one can usually get a fare for 1.7k or less.
                      One cannot when one is trying to earn miles. Apples for apples it's still roughly the same price SG to Eur as it is Aus to Eur.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        You'll find that airline ticket prices aren't really linked to the distance you fly. It's a mystic dark art I don't claim to know well though.
                        My thesis is on this subject - will post it if there's anyone interested.

Comment

Bring it on..!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
                            My thesis is on this subject - will post it if there's anyone interested.
                            Yes, please. After doing some very trivial checks on SQ's site, evidence does not seem to agree with the statement that SIN-Europe fares are more expensive than vv.

Comment

Pls share.

Perhaps you could also help us understand why are SQ's redemptions to EUR the same as to the USWC.

Comment

Working...
                              X