Lost Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Singapore

I know a couple of us here are old enough to remember how Singapore was like in the 70s.

Are there any places I could go to to capture my childhood memories? Do these buildings and places still exist?

How about people/skills/workers/food?

I don't suppose old cobblers along the streets in Chinatown exist today? Or old Ah peks on rickshaws?

Where can I go to see a chinese wayang? - Those people with colourful scary looking faces and outfits.

Many thanks.

The big thing now is to walk from train station at Tanjong Pagar to Woodlands along the Malayan railway tracks.

Can't get more nostalgic than that

Do it quick before it's out of bounds

And welcome back
    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 14 July 2011, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
      I don't suppose old cobblers along the streets in Chinatown exist today? Or old Ah peks on rickshaws?
      The cobblers still exist but don't see any rickshaws these days. There are trishaw rides though.

Comment

Go take a walk around Joo Chiat....
        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I remembered the kampong days of the late 60s and 70s. Most could not speak english and mandarin hardly spoken. Used to think Tamil was the single language spoken by all.

Many of the roads outside of the city were practically deserted outside of peak hours. The drains were filled with guppies and many kids were catching them..still guppies in the drains except that have not seen anyone catching them.

Highlights were the Teochew wayangs that came to neighbourhood once a year for two nights. We had our old bench to sit down to watch the wayang. Street hawkers were there for those nights and a little before. But could not afford to eat at the stores with little or no pocket money.

The country has changed beyond the recognition of many. Prices of properties have shot up. Became a lot pricier. Definitely more international in favour with influx of new migrants and with a ratio of about 1 in 3, there is more than an even chance that one of your colleague or neighbour is a new migrant. So called boring Singapore not considered boring anymore.

Comment

Thanks, Lioncity. Are there guppies still in the drains? Which drains? Where? I remember seeing guppies (or fighting fish?) in the drains in Holland V in the 70s.

I want to catch a wayang but the people at the tourist centre told me I could only watch it during the seventh month!

Would anyone know if there were any kelongs I could visit?

Many thanks.

Comment

Thanks, Lioncity. Are there guppies still in the drains? Which drains? Where? I remember seeing guppies (or fighting fish?) in the drains in Holland V in the 70s.

I want to catch a wayang but the people at the tourist centre told me I could only watch it during the seventh month!

Would anyone know if there were any kelongs I could visit?

Many thanks.
              Good to see you back. Quite a few places and one is near Bukit Brown. Volunteer to bring you along. Used to catch the fry of the Pacific Tarpon in the canals. These fishes grow pretty sizeable. In Hokkien, we called them dragon fish.

I am not sure kelongs still exist in Singapore and perhaps around Pulau Ubin area BUT I know a few go to Batam and Johore area to stay on the Kelong. Perhaps you could organize an event for SQTalkers to enjoy a Kelong stay and it should be fun and unusual.

I have sent one or two wayangs but have not seen one this year. Guess it is going the way of the Dodo.

Comment

Try Penang !

Comment

I was at Tekka market last Saturady, there was a wayang going on there.... such wayangs comes about every now and then whereever there a a diety's birthday....

Such wayangs can also be seen when Parliament convenes...
                  This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                    The big thing now is to walk from train station at Tanjong Pagar to Woodlands along the Malayan railway tracks.

Can't get more nostalgic than that

Do it quick before it's out of bounds
                    Are they actually allowing people to do that ?.

I read the ST coverage of the last train from Tanjong Pagar. I always meant to try the train but never got around to it.

Comment

You could..

http://www.thegreencorridor.org/2011...tanjong-pagar/

Comment

Well, the good news is the 7th lunar month is just around the corner (T-10 days)
                        Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
                          Well, the good news is the 7th lunar month is just around the corner (T-10 days)
                          The Festival of the Hungry Ghosts will start on 31st July for 1 month, plenty of chances to watch wayang coming!

Comment

Working...
                          X