Defining architecture/bridges in Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defining architecture/bridges in Singapore

Just wondering what are the striking architectural buildings/bridges in Singapore today?

Which are the buildings and bridges which would make it to the list of the newest and latest and most striking? Very sadly, there are no phallic looking buildings in Singapore.

Which are the old and 'forgotten' or 'not so forgotten' buildings? Colonial buildings, shop houses... what else? Any suggestions where I could go to check out these old quarters?

My current list:
    Helix, Marina, the Durian place (whatever it is called), the Singapore flyer?, Cavanage Bridge, CHJMES?

Many thanks.

New: Marina Bay Sands, School of the arts

Old: Hill street fire station, Armenian church

Bridges: The 3 @ Kent Ridge ParK: Alexander Arch, Forest walk, Henderson waves

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
      Which are the buildings and bridges which would make it to the list of the newest and latest and most striking? Very sadly, there are no phallic looking buildings in Singapore.
      See my avatar....
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
        See my avatar....

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          New: Marina Bay Sands, School of the arts

Old: Hill street fire station, Armenian church

Bridges: The 3 @ Kent Ridge ParK: Alexander Arch, Forest walk, Henderson waves
          Thanks, 9V-JKL. Do you know where are the entry points for all three places? I don't want to start the walk at the entrance of Kent Ridge Park. I don't fancy that long a walk!

Would anyone know where I can go to get the classical view of the Marina Bay Sands building across the water? Where should I stand to get that nice view?
          Last edited by phaleesy; 17 July 2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I don't know the entry points.

Good view of MBS is from One Fullerton

Comment

Thanks, 9V-JKL. Do you know where are the entry points for all three places? I don't want to start the walk at the entrance of Kent Ridge Park. I don't fancy that long a walk!
              go to: http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.p...191&Itemid=172

Scroll down to sections on Southern Ridges, take your pick from among various options, including entry and exit points. The pdf downloads come with maps.

Comment

Thanks, 9V-JKL and jammed.

I had a look at the website, so very interesting! I think I'd skip architecture for now and search for Heritage Trees in the Botanical Gdns today!

Comment

Good view of MBS is from One Fullerton
                  Wonderful view, thanks! There was a light display at 8pm and 930pm, lasting approx 10 mins.

Just like Hong Kong, without the haze.

Comment

Another question. Where could I go to take pictures of the Helix? It is too far and small from One Fullerton.

How do I get to Marina Bay Sands? Can I walk across from Fullerton to MBS? I did not try tonight because it was getting too late but I wasn't sure if the road on the right of Fullerton Bay Hotel leads to MBS.

Many thanks.

Comment

Parkview Building is my favourite building in Singapore. Plus you are very near the Arab Quarter and Little India for some classic shophouse action.

Comment

Another question. Where could I go to take pictures of the Helix? It is too far and small from One Fullerton.

How do I get to Marina Bay Sands? Can I walk across from Fullerton to MBS? I did not try tonight because it was getting too late but I wasn't sure if the road on the right of Fullerton Bay Hotel leads to MBS.

Many thanks.
                        There are 2 ways you can walk across - facing MBS, walking via Esplanade (aka Durian), promenade infront of Marina Sq, across Helix bridge, slow stroll prob takes 30min I imagine;

2nd option is to head right (facing MBS at 1 Fullerton), along promenade in front of office blocks and turning left after the NTUC building essentially hugging the waterfront towards MBS, must add this to be a hotter route in the day but no less scenic option, alsoabt 30min if u stroll

Comment

If you really don't want to walk, you can always take the water taxi.

Comment

If you really don't want to walk, you can always take the water taxi.
                            Didn't know there were water taxis! I feel like a country bumpkin these days when I'm in SIN.

How do these water taxis look like? How does it work? Like a private cab or a SBS bus? Designated taxi stands?

Comment

Working...
                            X