Aircraft viewing at Changi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ_fanatic View Post
    Don't think so. The QF incident occured last midnight.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

One of the runway(02L/20R) was closed from late morning to late afternoon forcing all incoming and outgoing traffic through one runway. It was utter chaos as airlines had their schedules messed up. Most arrived half an hour to an hour after their STA and left an hour to two past their STD. Some arrived very low on fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
        Missed that detail

Originally posted by boing View Post
        One of the runway(02L/20R) was closed from late morning to late afternoon forcing all incoming and outgoing traffic through one runway. It was utter chaos as airlines had their schedules messed up. Most arrived half an hour to an hour after their STA and left an hour to two past their STD. Some arrived very low on fuel.
        Was there any reason for the closure?
        Guess it may be time to use a third runway considering that Changi's growth..

Comment

I did saw maintainence work going on at both ends of the Runway, there was a big lighted "X". Runway was opened at 5pm. There were up to 10 aircraft on approach at any time.

Comment

And usually emergency landings are directed to land at Runway 20C/02C. Not 20R/02L. So I doubt that incident had anything got to do with the runway closure.

Comment

It was a scheduled maintenance. It's one of two in a year that's done during the day time hours. Most of these aircrafts circled close to an hour to land.

And aircraft on emergency can choose to land on any runway of their choice. There's no particular runway designated as an emergency runway. Although 20C would be preferred if landing from the North.

Comment

It was a scheduled maintenance. It's one of two in a year that's done during the day time hours. Most of these aircrafts circled close to an hour to land.

And aircraft on emergency can choose to land on any runway of their choice. There's no particular runway designated as an emergency runway. Although 20C would be preferred if landing from the North.
                However the Cathay Pacific a333 incident last month made the aircraft land on 02C. And last year's QF superjumbo landed on 20C. Both suffered engine problems

Comment

Rwy20C is preferable for any emergency due to its longer available length upon touchdown. Rwy20R has a displacement portion at the end, making the available runway length shorter.
                  My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Rwy20C is preferable for any emergency due to its longer available length upon touchdown. Rwy20R has a displacement portion at the end, making the available runway length shorter.
                    You beat me to the reply. 20R has a displaced runway making the runway shorter by at least 500 to 600m. Not the best of options if you are short of braking power. But as I said, when an emergency is declared by an ac arriving into SIN, the pilot is given a choice of which runway he wants to land on and it's his prerogative. In extreme cases, all traffic will be put on hold till the ac lands.

And I've seen quite a number of ac land on 02L/20R while on emergency or requesting for emergency stand-by. They were all SQ and coincidentally, news agencies seemed to have missed it. Hmmm, wonder why

Comment

Working...
                    X