Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singapore Hotels now most expensive in Asia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Hotels now most expensive in Asia!

I have to say this one did surprise me...

Singaporeans paid an average of Sin$244 for a hotel room night in their own country in 2010, representing a 29% increase over 2009, according to the latest Hotels.com Hotel Price Index.

With the highest increase for hotel prices paid worldwide, Singapore ranks the fourth most expensive country globally for hotel rooms in 2010. The top three countries are Switzerland (Sin$258), France (Sin$256) and the United Kingdom (Sin$253).

When comparing cities within Asia however, it is a little surprising to not see Hong Kong towards the very top, instead Singapore was the most expensive city in Asia for hotel rooms in 2010 according to Hotels.com. Sydney (Sin$220) and Tokyo (Sin$199) were the second and third most expensive cities respectively.

Johan Svanstrom, Vice President and Managing Director for Hotels.com Asia Pacific said, “It is no surprise that hotel prices in Singapore are high, but the year-on-year increase of 29% in prices paid last year in Singapore is staggering. Clearly, the hike is fueled by very robust travel demand and growth. Singapore continues to be very attractive as a tourist destination especially with the growing number of attractions, and greater accessibility with low-cost carriers flying to and from the city. In addition, high-end accommodation in Singapore such as the Integrated Resorts continues to increase in popularity among leisure and corporate travellers alike.”

Singaporean travellers were the savviest spenders on hotel rooms when they travelled abroad but the biggest spenders when at home, according to the Hotels.com Hotel Price Index. In 2010, Singaporeans paid an average of Sin$177 per night on hotel rooms overseas but Sin$244 on hotel rooms in Singapore.

“This definitely comes expected, especially with the ‘staycation’ trend in Singapore. Affluent Singaporeans are now more willing to part with their money for a relaxing and luxurious stay in a domestic hotel,” said Johan.
    http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news11...reHotels.shtml

My memory may be playing up here, but I'm sure I remember staying at the Shangri-La for a ridiculously low price in the late 80's - a few pounds I think (was UK-based in those days).

Comment

I beg to differ.. I don't what sort of methods they used on that.. but HK hotels are easily more expensive than Singaporean hotels! The 3-4 star properties were expensive too given the quality one gets in Singapore have always been better than some of the dodgy ones in HK.

Comment

I must say I have just been looking for a hotel in SIN for next month and have been totally shocked at the prices being asked for. Since I was there last prices do seem to have gone up a lot but I would still say HK is more expensive.

Comment

For top-end hotels, I'd say HKG is more expensive.

For the average cost of a night in SIN, I'd say $244 might be a tad more expensive than HKG, therefore the majority of properties could be pricier. Let's face it - the lower-end hotels basically are dominated by chains like Hotel 81 and Fragrance... and they would exert significant downwards pressure on the median cost per night

But the 4-5 star hotels I generally do price-checks on when I'm due in HKG do tend to charge like wounded bulls (except East Taikoo, my new fave)

Comment

you can do better in the 3-3.5 star hotels in Hong Kong pricewise, compared to Singapore. agree with above re: 5 star
            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Can we say the average price for a 4-star hotel in HK is around HK$1000-1100 per night? I know this is how much i'm paying next week but......anyway, that's not the point.

The hotel price has not changed for years, even after a renovation a couple of years ago making it a nice non-dodgy 4-star. What has changed is that years ago we would have been S$200 based on an FX exchange around 1:5 but since now we are 1:6.1 (hitting nearly 6.2 today) the cost in local terms is now only ~$S165.

All this and Singapore hotels have either been holding the same price or putting them up.

Comment

very expensive for what they are nowadays.A decent hotel can cost upwards of AUD $170 and that is not even in Orchard Road anymore

Comment

Have they really gone up? From a SGD perspective many hotels didn't actually go up that much. Some of the Hotels that my boss has put himself in continues to charge around S$200, which hasn't really nudged from 3 years ago?

I do have little doubt we have become far more expensive for the average European / American tourist considering the strength for SGD
                  Life's A Bitch,
                  Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Working...
                  X