No announcement yet.

east Hotel, Tai Koo, Hong Kong in pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, forgot to mention - East has my favourite mattress in HKG at the moment.

The lobby/ground floor reception was very quiet at all times that I passed through... I wouldn't say it resembled a night club (the staircase is funky, though)...

I did not try the room service. I noticed that a char chan teng just around the corner at Cityplaza that would serve the purpose if I was absolutely craving for food. When in HKG, I don't eat in the hotel if I can help it (of course, I understand not everyone feels this way)...

I found the plusses heavily outnumber the minuses...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      Oh, forgot to mention - East has my favourite mattress in HKG at the moment.

The lobby/ground floor reception was very quiet at all times that I passed through... I wouldn't say it resembled a night club (the staircase is funky, though)...

I did not try the room service. I noticed that a char chan teng just around the corner at Cityplaza that would serve the purpose if I was absolutely craving for food. When in HKG, I don't eat in the hotel if I can help it (of course, I understand not everyone feels this way)...

I found the plusses heavily outnumber the minuses...
      Does the East use the same mattress and bedsheets as the W? If yes, then it's certainly one of the best out there. But nothing still beats the Bed in the Shangri-la Tokyo for me.

Have you tried checking in to the W at night? I think they were playing some loud music and with all the neon lights, make me dizzy. Yeah,... I'm old fashion.

Agreed with you. With so much good food outside when in HK, most literally just steps away, it's almost a sin to lock oneself in the room and have room service food like over-priced chicken rice. Exception is when the hotel also have a top-notch restaurant and they can deliver that via room service.

Comment

Kyo thanks for the review! Glad you enjoyed it and agree with you that this is a little gem in the East of HK island. Well worth staying there for the overall value.
        blog

Comment

I *am* very surprised that they leave an iPod Touch (?) in the room for guests...
          I've had an iPod in a hotel before - the Hyatt Erawan in Bangkok in a spa cottage.

The W's got a new Insider (the old one left two months ago), and I got the same stock standard room I had previously. No G+A suites for me on an SPG free night. The W had a broken men's spa being fixed, and the second main ground floor to lobby/reception lift's floor also broken/replaced with a carpet instead 3 times per day... I'm really over the W HKG. Find it rather pointless, to be honest... the pool upstairs is awesome, but the underwater sound system is turned down SO LOW now, you can't hear anything (the pool attendants said the sounds were disturbing hotel residents in their rooms, but hello, there's only 6 floors of gym/Bliss spa insulating the sound in between??)... the highlight of my W stay was getting a Symmetry CD from the Insider as my Plat amenity after I asked...

Oh well - next time if the W upgrade doesn't show in advance (like it always seems to do for our beloved KeithMEL), I'll just book East with absolutely no reservations... give it a try!
          In defence of the W, I stayed there again over NYE (I must have spent a total of about 10-12 nights at this hotel now) and I'm still very satisfied.

I've never had an upgrade to a suite (whether a paid night, points or C+P) nor heard from the Insider (nor have I felt so important to ask to speak to the Insider for special treatment) but I don't mind at all - I find the rooms very comfortable (I love the toiletries etc) and I always get an upgrade of some sort to a larger room/nicer view as a plat even if not a suite. I'm also grateful for the W's HK resident rates (usually available). Not to forget SPG points and a stay credit of course!

The staff (reception, concierge, Kitchen restaurant etc) have always been friendly and responsive. I've never visited the pool so can't comment on that. Yes, there's a carpet in one of the lifts but so what ? I've eaten the W room service food more than a few times (due to having to work in my room) and it was a lot more appetising/presentable than what appears in the pictures above of the EAST food. There are also lots of eating options downstairs in the mall if required.

It's a bit tedious to get to Central by MTR (having to change) but HK taxis are inexpensive compared to (e.g.) London or Japan. The W's convenience for the airport is marvelous (both by the Airport Express downstairs below the Elements mall and the bus from the airport which goes direct to outside Elements).
          Last edited by jhm; 8 January 2011, 01:02 AM.

Comment

I have been upgraded twice to a nicer (corner/bigger) rooms, and twice to a Suite at W HKG as a Plat.

Comment

For Kyo and other fans of East (I think I'll stick with the W):

http://www.checkinforjapan.com/jun10.aspx

US$100 rooms apparently for 48 hours from 10 June (limited availability)

Comment

Cheers for the update jhm! Unfortunately HKG not in my travel plans unless I can squeeze it in 3-4 months down the track...

Thumbs up for a great hotel.

Comment

Working...
                X