Shanghai Hotels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Desert Traveller View Post
    I'm in a bind and need some help choosing a hotel in SHA for this weekend...

Looking to stay from Friday night to Monday morning. Due to FH programs, I have narrowed it down to the Hilton (one more stay before 14 Oct and my silver card will be swapped for a gold one) or the IC Puxi (Ambassador status and cheaper rates) or the Indigo for views. I have SPG Gold status, never used it though in four years...

Stayed at the IC Pudong before for one short night (stopover only), so it's my first visit to SHA. My SO is coming up for Sat and Sun from SG and she's got a preference for the Bund. Me, no clue. The nicer hotel with better service I guess.

Looking forward to your recommendations!
    Can I strongly recommend Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund? Stayed there last week and was very happy with it. Photos coming up!

Comment

There's a Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, I'm sure the service has to be decent...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        There's a Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, I'm sure the service has to be decent...
        Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
        Can I strongly recommend Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund? Stayed there last week and was very happy with it. Photos coming up!
        Thanks so much to the both of you, much appreciated.

Kyo, I had spotted the Waldorf. Is roughly double the rate for the other options a good deal?

kelvgoh, loved your mini TR! It's just made settling on the hotel actually more difficult.
        /Desert Traveller

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Traveller View Post
          Kyo, I had spotted the Waldorf. Is roughly double the rate for the other options a good deal?
          I wouldn't categorise most W=A's under the good deal category, but renewing status whilst getting a shiny card works for me. It's on my places to try list. (wasn't ready when I was there for the Shanghai Expo as it was opening only two weeks later a year ago)

Comment

Had to resurrect this old chestnut because I may have to suddenly jet out to the motherland.

As I've got many things to take care of, a Club Lounge may come in handy. Read that while the Andaz is nice and nicely located, The Hyatt on the Bund kills it -- though their lounge is only for continental breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres + cocktails (Champagne???).

LRM is an option. AGAIN, SPG extended my status to my parents while I was halfway across the globe.

Any recent experiences/advice is greatly appreciated. Loyalty programs are not nearly as important as location (Bund and West) and comfort.

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            Then again, I'm kinda keen to try The Puli next time.
            Did you try that place out? Looks very nice. Location works out well for me.
            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              Had to resurrect this old chestnut because I may have to suddenly jet out to the motherland.

As I've got many things to take care of, a Club Lounge may come in handy. Read that while the Andaz is nice and nicely located, The Hyatt on the Bund kills it -- though their lounge is only for continental breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres + cocktails (Champagne???).

LRM is an option. AGAIN, SPG extended my status to my parents while I was halfway across the globe.

Any recent experiences/advice is greatly appreciated. Loyalty programs are not nearly as important as location (Bund and West) and comfort.

Did you try that place out? Looks very nice. Location works out well for me.
              Stayed at the Andaz two weeks ago. Burned a Diamond UG for a suite. I MUCH prefer the Andaz to Hyatt on the Bund. To be fair, I've only stayed at Hyatt on the Bund for one quick turnaround night, so didn't use the Diamond benefits. But I think the location is a bit off.

I like the Andaz location. However, the furnishings are ageing FAST. Scuffed wooden floors are an eyesore, and can only get worse. No Club lounge and the evening drinks suck - free-flow beer and Jacob's Creek!!!

Not gotten round to trying The Puli yet. Not spent more than 2 hours total in Pudong in 10+ visits to SH. Shame, cos the PH looks real nice (I spent those 2 hours there... )

What else do you need to know? Feel free to Whatsapp...

Comment

My last visit to Shanghai was December and I stayed in LRM for a night, mainly as my brother likes it and he was there for three. The lounge is nice there but all I ever want to do in Shanghai is leave as I don't like the place. The smog was nearly as dangerous as a Bangkok taxi when we were there as well....

Comment

I like the Andaz location. However, the furnishings are ageing FAST. Scuffed wooden floors are an eyesore, and can only get worse. No Club lounge and the evening drinks suck - free-flow beer and Jacob's Creek!!!
                  Yeah, that's exactly what I read on TOF. And that Jacob's Creek thing is just insulting!

Not gotten round to trying The Puli yet.
                  I may have to take one for the team.

Not spent more than 2 hours total in Pudong in 10+ visits to SH. Shame, cos the PH looks real nice (I spent those 2 hours there... )
                  Not only is it super inconvenient, but I have no wanting to stay on the graveyard...I mean, Pudong... Plus, the PH service level reports haven't been all THAT great. This IS China we're talking about here...

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  My last visit to Shanghai was December and I stayed in LRM for a night, mainly as my brother likes it and he was there for three. The lounge is nice there but all I ever want to do in Shanghai is leave as I don't like the place. The smog was nearly as dangerous as a Bangkok taxi when we were there as well....
                  I couldn't agree with you more! I'm already planning a vacation after this trip is over. Heck, I might just jet straight back to Japan and relax...again.

Was LRM showing wear and tear? They are definitely on the list. Jing An Shangri-La and its Horizon Club Lounge has also come up on the radar. Any other recommendations?

Peanut Gallery? Right now, The Puli might be in the Pole Position.
                  Last edited by HUGE AL; 7 March 2014, 10:55 AM.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

I will be staying at the Banyan Tree Shanghai on the Bund - Oasis with Romantic Pool room in July.

Has anyone stayed there personally and did you like it? Was the pool in the room more like a small tub? Reviews on TA were pretty mixed.

Comment

Waldorf Astoria on the Bund may not have a Club Lounge per se, but they've got plenty of ample places one can sit and chill out. Drinks can be had at the original Shanghai Long Bar, very historical, and stiff drinks. The Peninsula also gets good reviews.

There's a Fairmont Peace there, I've had dinner there and it was nice. But nothing dethrones the WA there in my book.

Comment

It'll be a free stay and I can only choose the Banyan Tree.

Comment

Originally posted by GLAM82 View Post
                          I will be staying at the Banyan Tree Shanghai on the Bund - Oasis with Romantic Pool room in July.

Reviews on TA were pretty mixed.
                          That's one weird website they've got there. Lots of work for not a whole lot of information...or pictures even.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          Waldorf Astoria on the Bund may not have a Club Lounge per se, but they've got plenty of ample places one can sit and chill out. Drinks can be had at the original Shanghai Long Bar, very historical, and stiff drinks. The Peninsula also gets good reviews.
                          Besides it being not too Asian for you, what did you like about the Waldorf?

Yeah, I did consider The Pen, but there's no lounge option.

Longemont appears to have added a Club Lounge and has reasonable room options with limo service (and you thought I hated cabs in BKK...).
                          HUGE AL

Comment

That's one weird website they've got there. Lots of work for not a whole lot of information...or pictures even.
                            Well better something to get a rough idea than nothing at all. The Banyan Tree being #86 on the list is rather worrying though.

Comment

Besides it being not too Asian for you, what did you like about the Waldorf?
                              There's nothing I don't like about the Waldorf. Perhaps the fact that it doesn't have a happy hour with free-flow drinks, that's about all. No butler service with free room-delivered drinks, either. It's a WA, you've gotta pay what you've gotta pay

I've been really, really enjoying myself there every single time I've gone, around four times so far. There's no room/suite closer to/on the Bund itself than in their Heritage building in any hotel there.

I'm in direct contact with the rooms director (their initiative), who's taken care of everything for me, every single time. However, all my previous visits are also as a HH Diamond, so I'm not sure if they'll upgrade a non-status guest (assuming you have some sort of HH status, anyway, from a credit card or s'thing).

I'd appreciate if you didn't start on the too-Asian thing again, that was strictly Vegas hotels-related.

Comment

Any other recommendations?
                                I really liked the PH when I stayed there. I also like the GH and think as it is usually half the price of the PH it represents better value. Staying on Pudong doesn't bother me. Like I say I get in do what I need to and get out as quickly as I am able to. But if you are 'lumbered' over there the PH, GH and Shang have decent enough bars. Many hotels have nice lounges but they may as well be in the basements as due to the smog you can't usually see much anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X