Iceland - Central Reykjavik hotels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iceland - Central Reykjavik hotels

2010 means no eastern exotic hols, loss of Krisflyer Silver and the continued arctic weather in the UK have got me looking at a weeks break in Iceland.

Why Iceland? - I've never been there before, it's quite near, but appears sufficiently different from "traditional european holidays".

As it's never been on my radar before, and I hate to just jump in with both feet first, does the SQ collective have any recommendations for hotels in Reykjavik?

Must haves: central location, public transport links, shopping, bars/restaurants, general cultural/tourist attractions easily accessible.
    If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

I've been to Reykjavik twice (when BA flew there) and stayed in the Hotel Borg both times. It's smack bang in the middle of Reykjavik (which is a pretty small place anyway).

The Radisson is just up the road and I believe there's a Hilton somewhere else in town (but not so conveniently located).

The Borg is quite traditional (and nice) in its decor. There's also the 101 Hotel which is another boutique hotel but (apparently - I've never been) designer and trendy.

Comment

Thanks for the tips jhm!

Doing more research, i like the look of the Radissons in Reykjavik. A bit brighter than the Borg.
      The Borg is coming in a over my travel/hotel budget (i.e. sub £700 GBP) which would severely impact the food and entertaining budget - I believe food/drink isn't particularly cheap?
      If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
        I believe food/drink isn't particularly cheap?
        It wasn't when I went (I seem to remember five quid for a hotdog) but that was before the bottom dropped out of the Icelandic economy and the króna went into freefall. I'd imagine it's a lot cheaper now than before.

Talking of hot dogs, you should definitely try one from the hot dog stand (literally that) in Reykjavik which some say is the best in Europe!

Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur

It's only about 5 minutes walk from the Borg/Radisson.

Comment

Just returned from reykjavik last month with residence at the Hilton. I believe from what I heard it's the best in Iceland already, and yes it's typical Scandinavian sleek design and deco which would greet you as you enter Keflavik airport's terminal.

Food and drink is indeed extremely pricey. There's a fantastic VOX restaurant at the Hilton which supposedly won lots of awards. Pizza hut just out the lobby entrance and a couple of steps to the left. I believe I paid somewhere in the range of SG$70 for each meal per person.

Highly recommend the Hilton over any other Icelandic hotels. They look all gloomy and dull to me. Besides, it isn't quite inconvenient as well, I walked to the Kringlan shopping mall.

Comment

I wouldn't go to Iceland to hang out at a shopping mall.

I've only managed to drive around S/SW Iceland. There's a lot more to see and do but we did not have much time.

National parks, waterfalls, geysirs, craters, lots lots lots... Very pleasant to drive around.

We made a stop at the Blue Lagoon enroute to Reykjavik from the airport.

Hotel Borg is oldish. The FTer couple whom I gave a lift were more sensible and were staying at the Radisson.

Comment

Was in Iceland two years ago for work & visiting friends. It's a nice place if you catch the right weather (dry after snow, or sunny in the summer, where the maximum temperature can reach the exciting value of +19, with a bit of luck).
              I have actually be hanging around with an Icelandic friend in SIN the past two days - if you want I can put you in contact with him to get insider info.

Suggestions of Phaleesy were all quite good, and don't forget to try out the local version of the chips, that is dried fish in flakes. Just do not expect to get a lot of appreciation around if you show up in a public space after a few of those salty flakes.

I stayed with a family in the city center, a cute B&B inside a wood house as I loved to experience the local habits.

Comment

Working...
              X