• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W Seoul-Walkerhill

(pics by otherhalfofKeithMEL)

What
    W Seoul-Walkerhill

Where
    Perched on top of Walkerhill, this W is unfortunately in a rather far-flung suburban location. Being so far off-centre, the location would be especially inconvenient for business travellers. The only plus point was the free shuttle bus to the subway station in Gwangnaru or Gangbyeon. And it’s then a 60 mins journey on the subway to Apgujeong (upscale designer boutiques), 40 mins to Itaewon (nightlife), 30 mins to Hongdae or Sinchon (more nightlife, funky little shops), 20 mins to Myeongdong (upscale shopping) or Dongdaemun (cheap shopping)... you get the idea. Cabs in general are rather cheap but might take you longer due to traffic congestion, and the only times we cabbed were when we were getting back to the W, completely and utterly off our face at 5am after a night out at Itaewon – it’d cost no more than AUD23; obviously the lack of traffic on the roads at that time of the morning ensured a relatively speedy ride home. I guess it’s ok if you’re not in a rush to get anywhere fast, and there’s that ‘away from the hustle and bustle’ novelty.

WoW
    We got upgraded to a totally sexy and zen Studio Suite, ie junior suite. I loved the great use of loud colours, and how everything just flowed so well together. The round bed was pretty cool, as was the large tub which could pretty much fit a small group. The rather large bathroom was both stylish and functional.

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

The public areas were similarly beautifully and trendily zen with lots of whimsical features. The party on Friday nights attracts a large crowd, and entry is free for W guests. WooBar does some rather ‘out there’ drinks, including quite a few varieties of mojitos and a milky drink that came in a baby’s milk bottle.

the elevators - sick!

Service here was on the whole rather good and all staff members were encountered were incredibly friendly and attentive, though slightly deferential. Stephanie at the concierge desk tried hard to recover my camera, which I’d left on an Asiana flight; we didn’t manage to get my camera back but her efforts were appreciated. We were also given great advice on the best ways to get to wherever we wanted to go (as it’s been a while since the other half had lived in Seoul), and great suggestions on where best to shop or party.

Woe

They really need to work on music played during the evening DJ sessions. The music seemed to be the same throughout the party, v techno-y – then again it seemed all DJs in Seoul play the same kind of music.

Also, though the girls who attended their Fri party were hot and elegantly dressed, there wasn’t much eye candy for those who swing the other way.

Most disappointingly, despite being nice to look at, the round bed was most uncomfortable. The mattress was too firm for my liking, and is most defo not the standard mattress used by Wonderful Beds.

Finally, they tried to charge KRW5000 for toothbrush/toothpaste - but we later learnt from a mate that this was typical of Korean hotels. Thankfully we had plenty of dental kits from the airline amenity kits we'd accumulated.

On the whole, despite the deficiencies, this W has done a totally decent job with its decor and the rather keen service made staying here a joy.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Yes that bed has a very 70's 'love hotel' look about it..

Giant JENGA! How cool..

Comment

Working...
      X