Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starwood in S.E. Asia (perhaps outside?) have a strange setup

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    The discussion in this thread confirms my decision not to go with Starwood properties in HK.

After SIN, this. Maybe Starwood needs to upgrade its offerings in a few of the major Asian cities.
    They have a slightly strange set up in S.E. Asia.

In Singapore it was a blow when the Stamford swapped from a Westin to Swissotel. I quite liked that place. The about to leave LM is a dump, but was handy for a few things like stay credits, promo stays (like last years LM free nights) and if you were there for a short overnight stay. I won't miss it though...

The Sheraton is average, but I have grown fonder of it since I became Plat. However, it probably wouldn't pass the 'would I stay there if it wasn't an SPG property' test. The St Regis is fantastic, and if the rates are competitive enough is definitely worth a splurge.

This will still bizarrely leave a major business hub like Singapore with just two properties (although isn't there a Westin opening at one of the IR's ?), yet Bangkok will have something like twelve in the next couple of years.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    The St Regis is fantastic
    I've only had my two stays from the first week it opened which I commented on elsewhere on SQT. I have a couple currently booked in December (unless I cancel them). I was just wondering why the St Regis gets such high praise from you ?

Comment

They have a slightly strange set up in S.E. Asia.
      None in Manila, as another example.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Well I realise that this is a function of availability of good properties, rather than intent, but there isn't a top-tier, and well-located Starwood in Hong Kong either.

Comment

Don't get me started on Tokyo.
          Yes I get that the Sheraton is a fantastic property in and of itself - but I do not like the location, which is basically quite a distance from the main shopping and entertainment areas. And you have to catch a bus to get to the nearest train stop.

The 2 Le Meridiens have left. Whilst one was not the most conveniently located (Odaiba, but still better than Sheraton) unless you just want to do Ginza shopping and the other was ho hum (the one at the train station) they were both reasonably priced options - though as MAN Flyer mentioned both would fail my 'would I stay were it not an SPG' test.

Now I've yet to stay at the Westin - but it always seems to price out a fair bit higher than the Hilton Shinjuku - and the latter is exactly where I want to be located and of pretty good quality.

I concede though that this is more a personal gripe than anything else - as being "well located" means different things to different people for a large city like Tokyo. But I can't help but feel that the major entertainment hubs like Roppongi, Shinjuku or Shibuya would do well with the presence of an SPG property.
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 17 September 2008, 11:34 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            None in Manila, as another example.
            Indeed. And before the took over LM, they didn't even have a Hotel in the centre of the largest city in S.E. Asia.

KL now has one more than Singapore. Talking of which I stayed in the Imperial in KL a couple of weeks ago, and am not quite sure how that is a Luxury Collection property.

Comment

KL now has one more than Singapore. Talking of which I stayed in the Imperial in KL a couple of weeks ago, and am not quite sure how that is a Luxury Collection property.
              It's certainly better now than what it was prior to last year's refurbishment. I stayed there during the refurbishment and got a refurbished room; they sure spruced it up well. My main motivation for staying there was their rather competitive rates compared to the Westin, otherwise it's the Westin for me any day.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Very few in Australia/NZ too.

Comment

I am confused with this discussion. Strange set up in which way?

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    Don't get me started on Tokyo.
                    Yes I get that the Sheraton is a fantastic property in and of itself - but I do not like the location, which is basically quite a distance from the main shopping and entertainment areas. And you have to catch a bus to get to the nearest train stop.
                    Now you KNOW this comment will elicit a response from me as I have nothing bad to say about the property. It simply depends on what you want to do and where you want to do it. The location is OK. The bus ride is quick (much faster than the PHT to Shinjuku Station). I've even walked it many times.

The beds at this Sheraton are some of the best in Tokyo. Especially when you are given NINE pillow types to choose from... Plus, the Toto has a remote control!
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                      Now you KNOW this comment will elicit a response from me as I have nothing bad to say about the property. It simply depends on what you want to do and where you want to do it. The location is OK. The bus ride is quick (much faster than the PHT to Shinjuku Station). I've even walked it many times.
                      See last paragraph of the same post.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                        Very few in Australia/NZ too.
                        They seem to be making a slow comeback. Nothing compared to IC Group and Accor of course.

There's the Westin Auckland now, after a few years of SPG drought in AKL when the Sheraton became the Langham. They've also announced a Westin in Queenstown. Wellington, please! (convenient for transtasman coffee weekends )

Westin Brisbane in 2010. Also the aLoft Sydney but that's more of an airport hotel (located in Mascot) and there're 3 other excellent properties in the city anyway. I miss the W Sydney but wasn't really surprised to see it go, am surprised they went with the wharfs location (nice locale but out of the way from offices) in light of the fact that corp travelers are their bread and butter. It was nice to eat at Otto, and being welcomed to the bar by the bouncers past the queueing masses.
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 September 2008, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                          I am confused with this discussion. Strange set up in which way?
                          The number of properties in some locations, such as twelve in Bangkok, and lack in others, ie only two in Singapore, none in Manila, few in Australia and NZ etc....

Comment

.. LM is a dump, but was handy for a few things like stay credits, promo stays (like last years LM free nights) and if you were there for a short overnight stay. I won't miss it though...
                            I'd miss the Hermes products!

Singapore unfortunately is targetting all the high end clients and thus feel that lower ended properties won't appeal to people. Why is BKK getting at least 4 more Starwood properties incl Lofts! In S'pore, we'd be lucky if we even see another Meridien anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              Wellington, please! (convenient for transtasman coffee weekends )
                              Would that be beside the "lake"?

Comment

Working...
                              X