Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    and superbly located for nightlife!
    With the entire country only 40kms wide and nearly all the Hotels concentrated in the middle, I can't think of many that aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      With the entire country only 40kms wide and nearly all the Hotels concentrated in the middle, I can't think of many that aren't.
      I suspect KeithMEL meant "within staggering distance, without a cab ride".

‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        I suspect KeithMEL meant "within staggering distance, without a cab ride".

Bingo!

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        ...as Neil Rd nightlife beckoned - all within a 5 minutes' stagger!
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Well... I grew up in the area.... the Majestic used to have a good chinese restaurant, which my mum use to frequent, with me tagging along as a kid.....

Two lanes away from Neil Road is the infamous Keong Siak Street, a notorious red light district back in the old days.... a few street down is Sago Lane, where the old and homeless are housed in old decrepit double storey shop houses waiting for their days to end.

The whole area was controlled by triads in the old days........

Today, if you walk along these streets, which form chinatown as it is, you will find that most of the buildings have been refurbished and turned into restaurants, bars.... you will still find houses where ladies of the night sell their wares at Keong Siak and Teck Lim Streets, but they are slowly dying away due to re-development. If you walk along Keong Siak Street on a quiet afternoon, you can hear sounds of mahjong tiles be clattered coming from the upper floors of the old buildings..... many of these are "legalised" mahjong parlours. These so call "private clubs" exist as tradition passed down from the original immigrants.

Next time if there is a chance, i could bring one or two of you guys up these "private club", just to see something which is not in the tourist guides.
          Last edited by kapitan; 22 July 2008, 08:38 AM.
          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

More pics of The New Majestic which I've now grown quite fond of and have decided to make my regular haunt in SIN. Booked a Premier Pool Room this time as it's a rather short overnight stay. Themed "Little Gold Fish." The room is smaller than the Premier Garden Room I'd booked for my last stay, but the clever use of space ensured that there was still sufficient space to move around. Instead of an outdoor bathtub I got a little balcony with the room.

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
            X