X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    That IS HKD, right?
    Indeed.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      Indeed.
      How are the selections? If they're up to KeithMEL standards, this is an "owsome" deal!
      HUGE AL

Comment

Hoping for some second growths at least?

Comment

How are the selections? If they're up to KeithMEL standards, this is an "owsome" deal!
          They're meant to change every week. Unfortunately I don't think we'd be able to make Wine-derlust this week as we have a dinner appointment with other friends from Melbourne at Lotus on the same night, after which we might as well stay in LKF. A bit of a hassle to shuffle to/from the Island more than once. FWIW someone on AFF reported that they had some great selections.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Just when I thought they couldn't get better, I got a nice surprise in my room when we got there shortly after Happy Hour, we got a cocktail mixer and ingredients for an apple martini. I remember the Insider asking me prior to arrival what food/drink the boyf likes - i responded that he likes making cocktails.

Off to Kee Club tonight, private members only place but we got onto the door list thanks to Whatever/Whenever.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 14 April 2009, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I might try this place when I am in Hong Kong next. I am certainly not going to the sheraton again after that horrible little place they created in the bowels just to avoid upgrading Plats to the proper lounge.

Having said that. Can I be sure this W is right. I can't trust Keiths judgement after he preferred the Westin to the SGS in Bangkok. Only nutcases do that.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                Having said that. Can I be sure this W is right. I can't trust Keiths judgement after he preferred the Westin to the SGS in Bangkok. Only nutcases do that.
                Well he does say it's very "trendy." Keeping in mind he also prefers the tiny W rooms to the SR San Francisco -- and they're the same price.
                HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  I found the W HKG over-hyped. Friendly enough staff, and with a rather nice gym [for a hotel], but the JW Marriott's service had a nicer 'feel' to it, for example. IMHO.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

MAN Flyer - FWIW, the reviews of the W HK on both FT and AFF have been generally extremely positive, such as these from a friend whom I arm twisted into staying there (and he's not a fanboy by any stretch ) : http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...tml#post210266 . And I'd trust some of those posters more than myself for objective opinions of Ws.

Having said that however, the Sheraton is still a lot better for views of the Island skyline if you're into the light show. Views from the W are obscured by the ICC next door and most rooms face the 'industrial' side of Victoria Harbour.

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    I found the W HKG over-hyped. Friendly enough staff, and with a rather nice gym [for a hotel], but the JW Marriott's service had a nicer 'feel' to it, for example. IMHO.
                    I've yet to check out Sweat. Then again I'm never one for gymming, despite that being this year's NY resolution. I usually don't use much of the hotel's facilities, W or otherwise, (pool/gym etc) as I spend most of my time in the Living Room (it's a waste I know) but I was v impressed by Wet and was tempted to jump in for a swim. Maybe if/when they finally get their poolside bar licence sorted out....

Well he does say it's very "trendy."
                    I don't recall throwing in 'very.' I think the post you referenced mentioned that the Westin was 'a bit' or 'slightly' (can't remember exactly but something along those lines) more hip. Modern decor is important to me and I just find the SGS overly traditional in both service and decor. In fact if not for Ws I wouldn't bother with Starwood or any chains at all, and stick to indie designhotels.com type boutique properties.
                    Last edited by KeithMEL; 15 April 2009, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I have no idea what was modern about the room I got at the Westin two weeks ago...

'Traditional in both service and decor' <- yes, if the bloody door keys actually decided to work.. (I had 5 dead keys in succession)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        I have no idea what was modern about the room I got at the Westin two weeks ago...
                        I find it more cleanline than your average Westin, and defo heaps more modern than the SGS. The service also has a nicer, lighter 'touch' and not as confronting.

I'll try the new LM next time I'm in Bangkok, or perhaps the aLofts and W will be up when I do decide to go (ie when all the unrest has died down).

Swipe keys always seem to die on me, but this is after a day or 2 when it's been in contact with my mobile phone a fair bit.
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 15 April 2009, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          Swipe keys always seem to die on me, but this is after a day or 2 when it's been in contact with my mobile phone a fair bit.
                          I find this reason to be a crock of shite IMHO.. Working in hotels myself, my master key (in any hotel I've worked in before) has never failed me once and survives itself solely between credit cards and constantly finds itself up against other magnetic type strips or mobile phone (or for agruments sake - other electronic emitting devices)..

I've found it more to be a problem with the software and/or key cutting machine interface being offline as being the source...

The prices we pay for technology eh
                          Last edited by Gunnar Smithsen; 16 April 2009, 08:24 AM. Reason: drunken typo editing ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                            I find this reason to be a crock of shite IMHO.. Working in hotels myself, my master key (in any hotel I've worked in before) has never failed me once and survives itself solely between credit cards and constintly finds itself up against other magnetic type strips or mobile phone (or for agruments sake - other electronic emitting devices)..

I've found it more to be a problem with the software and/or key cutting machine interface being offline as being the source...

The prices we pay for technology eh
                            No idea if you work at Sydney's Four Points, but two of my keycards there didn't work either.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                              No idea if you work at Sydney's Four Points, but two of my keycards there didn't work either.
                              Nope, I don't work there - but I was on a secondment to another of my companies hotels 2 weeks ago, and on one day of my stay my room key had to be recut no less than 3 times...

If I was a paying customer, I wouldn't have found it so funny

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                                I find this reason to be a crock of shite IMHO..
                                That's the most common reason/excuse supplied whenever I go to get my keycard recut, such as at the HI Phuket when my keycard died on me every day of my stay. But for that awesome sub $1 rate I paid I couldn't complain.

Incidentally, my keycard only died on me once this trip and that's at the Westin Taipei.

I've just checked out of the W and I miss it already ; the other half loved it so much that we're now combing for a reason to do another HK trip in the next couple of months.
                                Last edited by KeithMEL; 16 April 2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X