Chicago Hotels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conrad Chicago

Last edited by jjpb3; 24 December 2007, 05:12 PM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
      Looking at the buffet breakfast, I must say the Intercontinental Park Lane London serves much better breakfast. Quality and service are lacking in this restaurant during our breakfast.
      The IC Park lane provided me freshly made fruit juice of my choice, which was a real . Thanks to CGK for the invite.

Comment

What now?

Ok this isn't part of the last trip, but since I've benchmarked the other Ws against this property so much, and since I'm on a W-high - I might as well do a review.

W Chicago-Lakeshore
        644 N Lakeshore Dr

I first stayed here in 2006, which began my love affair with Ws and everything SPG - eventually stay running my way to Platinum in Dec 2007. Prior to this I'd never taken the hotel programs seriously, as I thought juggling the airline ones were enough. But the W Chicago-Lakeshore was to make me the zealous W-holic you see today, and a committed SPG stayer.

As the techno blared out of the entrance, I'd thought that the cab driver had dropped me off at the wrong place. Barsteward, I thought - as I'd even given him a nice tip. Then I noticed the unmistakable logo - a huge, shiny W on one side of the entrance. I walked closer and a Welcome Ambassador in a black Armani suit made his approach, and chirpily greeted me with a wide grin whilst offering to take my suitcase before realising that I'd been traveling really light thanks to my suitcase deciding to take a holiday of its own. I was impressed that anyone could be so upbeat in that frigid Chicago winter, especially as said Welcome Ambassador was standing outside the whole time.

I entered the lobby, which I was later to learn was called the Living Room. In the dim light I could make out a DJ spinning some serious techno, people playing checkers with apple martinis in hand and perched on cute wooden chairs, and a trendy little bar which already had a big crowd despite it still being earlyish in the evening. I was almost tempted to grab one of those yummy-looking martinis from the bar, before realising that I'd yet to check in. I spotted the Welcome Desk, which was almost like an afterthought amist the frenzied activity going on in the Living Room, and figured it must be a check in desk. Miss Energizer Bunny checked me in (I'm sure she has a name but I can't remember it), and I was warmly welcomed to Chicago. We had a good rapport - and she yelled across to the Living Room Manager (or the concierge for the uninitiated - though I've yet to see concierges in other Ws called that - usually just concierges or Whatever Desk agents) to introduce me and made sure that he'd take care of me. On hearing my name, Phil the LRM perked up and handed me an envelope that contained confirmations of all the resto reservations they'd made on my behalf. He also advised that I should look out for his colleague Chris who'd be around in the morning. What a great first impression of the W brand, I thought - I'm loving it even before I'd barely scratched the surface of the Whatever/Whenever/Whoever experience.

Chris would go on to continue Phil's tender care and attention to detail. Chris was capable of miracles and seemed to pull tickets to sold out concerts, fashion launches and after parties, top restos, and earned me spots on nightclub VIP lists - all with a mere few hours' notice, sometimes far less. Chris seemed to have memorised everything there is to know about Chicago (and then some) that he could very well have recited street addressed and phone numbers in his sleep.

Away to my room on the 11th floor it was, a reasonably high floor for this plebian Gold, made quite by accident by the quirk of an overgenerous promo. I wondered what I'd behold as I walked down the hallways - the dim combination of lights contained just that hint of mystery and filled me with anticipation.

I swung open the door to room 1121, and found myself standing in what could only be described as sheer seduction. It was a regular sized hotel room, but in what could otherwise be an ordinary room beheld the extraordinary. The W CD created a most enjoyable atmosphere and set the right tone for admiring what was about to come. What the magic of innovation, design and art could create. The blend of colours, both dark and stark, and the few pieces of carefully chosen furniture - minimalist chic at its best. Yet not over the top, still grounded - there were little features that remind of home.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 March 2008, 10:57 PM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

And I've yet to even start on the bathroom! The bathroom was a combination of functionality, a designer's magic, and heaps of fun. The famous Bliss Sinkside 6 beckons playfully, as you're wrapped in the cocoon of chicness. I never knew showering could be such a luxurious experience.

The colours of the hotel formed a theme that popped up in the most unexpected of places. The racy pink of the bathroom eventually re-appeared at the inhouse restaurant Wave. This establishment was the epitome of class and glamour, whether it's the staff, the clientele, the decor and perhaps most importantly - the food was both style and substance.

Ranbe Gerber strikes again - and Whiskey Sky dominates the top floor of the W Chicago-Lakeshore. This wasn't just any hotel bar. It was a destination bar, and that reflects in the huge crowds it draws. A dancefloor would've been the icing.

"Then what are you doing out here?" was a question asked a few times when I've been out exploring the city's nightlife and I'd stated the W Lakeshore as my abode.

Lifts that communicate!! No i'm not crazy. They do however - engage. Paying attention to detail and changing as time flows, the lift carpets merrily remind you the present time of the day in case an overloaded night at Whiskey Sky proved too much to bear.

In the middle of it all, in the prime location to explore Chicago. You can't get a more happening location than this. Standing right by the lake, your playground is a stone's throw from the city's best shopping on Michigan Avenue and surrounding eateries.

My debut Whatever/Whenever/Whoever experience was nothing short of spell-binding. I knew that it'd mark the start of an enduring relationship... or for others who're less enamoured - a terminal affliction.

Of course I know the W brand isn't everyone's cup of tea. But it is something everyone should check out at least once - you WOULD either be absolutely repulsed and wonder if I'm mentally infirm, or be as spellbound as I was and be ever so grateful to be talked into sampling the unknown at least once.

Because that's the beauty of the W experience - there is simply no halfway to it. It's in your face. Love it. Or loath it.

Go on, be Wowed!
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 March 2008, 11:00 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
          X