Hilton Tokyo - review please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    After two recent stays at the Sheraton Miyako Tokyo (located near Meguro on the JR Yamanote line), I have to say that I think it's a great hotel - apart from the location.
    Yes that's where I was booked due to very many positive comments before I worked out where it actually was. I misread someone's post on FT that the property is near Shinjuku when he actually meant convenient for getting to Shinjuku due to the proximity of the Yamanote line (and even then you need the free hotel shuttle to get back and forth from the subway?). The taxi fares are indeed also comparable to Melbourne's but I get by here on a monthly metcard for trams/buses/trains. As I'll be traveling for almost 2 months I want to make sure I budget myself properly.

I agree with your observations about the other 3 hotels. I especially concur with your positive experience at the Westin Osaka - a hotel I'd definitely recommend to anyone visiting Osaka.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

The Hilton Tokyo

Tokyo is a massive city, and as such location is very important. I wanted to stay in Shinjuku and alas none of the Starwood properties were anywhere close. And as I have HH as my secondary hotel program, the Hilton in Shinjuku was a no-brainer.

The hotel is served by the NRT airport bus service which cost JPY3000 each way. They also have a courtesy shuttle to Shinjuku station. It is fairly well located with lots of restaurants and a big department store within a 20 minute walk. The Hyatt across the road is probably better located as it is just outside the MTR station - but the Hilton had double points promo going on so something has to give I guess. Most importantly the hotel is quite close to some of my usual hangouts on ni-chome, about a JPY790-800 taxi ride away.

As HH Gold I was upgraded to an Executive floor room with access to the Executive lounge. Maybe I'm easily pleased but I think this is pretty darn good for a mid tier status! There is also free broadband internet in the Executive floor rooms. Breakfast was served in the lounge 0630-1000 (or 1100 on weekends and public holidays), and happy hour ran from 1800-2000 every night. It was a rather pleasant lounge, though I didn't spend all that much time there.

EDITED TO ADD: Full bar service during happy hour, including cocktails and Piper Heidsieck NV.

This seems like a very old hotel as the facade looks rather jaded. However it has been renovated and so feels pretty new. My room was very modern with a good sized plasma tv; the decor fits my desire for something stylish and minimalist. The bed was very comfy, however the quilt was a little on the thin side.

The bathroom was extremely small, with a combined shower/bath. It was well-stocked with amenities from Crabtree & Evelyn, and some Japanese brand.

The service at this hotel is pretty efficient, for example my request for an adapter was responded to literally seconds after I've got off the phone. The staff are very friendly and always eager to assist, with particular kudos for the very resourceful concierge staff. Somehow I felt more at ease with the staff here than at the IC Tokyo Bay where I stayed in Feb - the staff were polite in the usual Japanese manner at the Hilton but it didn't feel like they were being over the top, whereas the IC had lots of surplus staff milling around aimlessly and whose only job is to bow and greet guests.

The rate is also quite reasonable unlike the Conrad, and is extremely good value for what you get. I'm one very satisfied guest thus far and will happily return to the Hilton Tokyo on future visits.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 13 January 2008, 06:30 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

After two recent stays at the Sheraton Miyako Tokyo (located near Meguro on the JR Yamanote line), I have to say that I think it's a great hotel - apart from the location.

As a SPG gold, they upgraded me on both occasions to a nicer room (not a suite) and the staff were pretty friendly, e.g. the chatty girl who helped me with my luggage to my room.

The location isn't a huge problem if you're happy to pay taxi fares in Tokyo - e.g. about 1500 JPY back from dinner in Roppongi - which isn't so bad if you're used to London taxi prices. The hotel also runs a shuttle bus every 15 minutes to either Shinagawa or Meguro JR station (taking about 10 minutes for the trip) from early in the morning until 10pm.
        For some really odd reason, I completely missed this post. The Sheraton that jhm is talking about is one of the hidden gems of Tokyo. If I'm not at the PHT, I always stay here. An added plus is the pastry shop a block away!

But I understand why KeithMEL wants to be near Shinjuku. If you've got a late morning going on (after 11am), take a walk from the Hilton over to the PHT (< 10 minutes) and have some croissants at their pastry shop just before the hallway to the elevators (to the left immediately when you enter the main doors at valet) -- better than Paris!
        Last edited by HUGE AL; 11 March 2010, 02:53 PM.
        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Breakfast was served in the lounge 0630-1000 (or 1100 on weekends and public holidays), and happy hour ran from 1800-2000 every night. It was a rather pleasant lounge, though I didn't spend all that much time there.

EDITED TO ADD: Full bar service during happy hour, including cocktails and Piper Heidsieck NV.
          Keith, did you get breakfast vouchers as a Gold? Can the vouchers be used for breakfast in the lobby instead? How was the breakfast spread in the lounge compared to the lobby?

Do they serve canapes etc during happy hour? Do they serve cakes/tarts etc outside these hours?

Sorry about the focus on food.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
            Keith, did you get breakfast vouchers as a Gold?
            Yep.

Can the vouchers be used for breakfast in the lobby instead?
            They didn't collect the vouchers from me when I went to eat in the lounge so I'd assume the vouchers are for the lobby.

How was the breakfast spread in the lounge compared to the lobby?
            Don't know as I have yet to eat in the lobby. And only made it to brekky twice from all the times I've stayed there...

Do they serve canapes etc during happy hour?
            Yes they do.

Do they serve cakes/tarts etc outside these hours?
            Not sure as I wasn't in the lounge outside those hours.

Comment

the Westin Osaka - my favourite SPG hotel of the trip, e.g. the concierge who made a restaurant reservation in advance and was waiting for me whilst I was checking-in with directions, a map and - without me asking - a translation of the Japanese menu she'd obtained and prepared!)
              There's a nice postscript to this.

I was so happy with the above service that when I got back home, I wrote and faxed off a letter to the hotel to praise the staff member concerned (the one and so far only time I've done this). I heard nothing in return.

Fast forward more than two years later. I was staying again at the Westin, asked for some directions from the concierge and was walking out when I was called. It turns out that it was the staff member (I really don't know how on earth she knew who I was since I didn't identify myself) who said that she'd been waiting all this time to thank me for my letter!

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                For some really odd reason, I completely missed this post. The Sheraton that jhm is talking about is one of the hidden gems of Tokyo. If I'm not at the PHT, I always stay here. An added plus is the pastry shop a block away!
                Having had a few more stays at the Sheraton Miyako since I wrote my post above (most recently last week), my views about the hotel remain the same. Whilst I've never had a suite upgrade, the service has always been friendly (as opposed to being formal/cold), I like the free breakfast as a PLT (which you can choose to take in the Japanse restaurant) and the free drinks in the lobby. It's also significantly cheaper than the Westin and I don't have a problem with the shuttle bus (which runs every 15 minutes until around 10pm). (On the other hand, the Westin has a lounge and fabulous pastries baked onsite as part of the wide ranging breakfast buffet (probably the best I've come across) you get as a PLT.)

Comment

...the free drinks in the lobby.
                  Hell, that alone can defray quite a bit of the room cost there! What a fantastic property!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Complete 50 Missions, Stay for Free

For all you Hilton kids, I figured this old chestnut of a thread from KeithMEL was probably the best place to post...

http://bit.ly/10f72Dj

This year, the Hilton Tokyo in the Shinjuku district of the capital marks the 50th anniversary of the arrival of the hotel chain in Japan. In celebration of the long accomplishment as the first foreign hotel operator in Japan, since 1963, the hotel is offering some special anniversary plans.

One of the special accommodation plans is called Golden Mission, which is offered through March 31, 2014. Through the plan, customers will attempt to complete missions offered by the hotel through the use of Facebook.

At check-in, customers receive 50 missions to clear through the stay, and if customers complete all the missions, the bill for the accommodation and meals will be free.

The missions will vary from easy to complicated, such as to upload a picture and their impression of French toast at the Marble Lounge or upload a picture of a night view from the room.
                    http://www.hiltononline.jp/50/
                    is in Japanese, but I'm sure you can translate it.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                      For all you Hilton kids, I figured this old chestnut of a thread from KeithMEL was probably the best place to post...

http://bit.ly/10f72Dj

http://www.hiltononline.jp/50/
                      is in Japanese, but I'm sure you can translate it.
                      Good grief. 50? Not like people doing the challenge will be wanting to do anything else in Tokyo...

Fortunately I'm not a Hilton kid.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                        Good grief. 50? Not like people doing the challenge will be wanting to do anything else in Tokyo...

Fortunately I'm not a Hilton kid.
                        Well...I'm sure it's fun...

I think A LOT of the Hilton fans here have burned and are now running for the hills! However, THIS property has been a favorite...for one reason or another...
                        HUGE AL

Comment

The Hilton Shinjuku could do with a bit of a reno in some areas, but I agree with the HUGE one on this property, it's got decent staff with very decent rooms at the affordable end, even when I had no HH status.

Been burnt before but the location suits me more than other SPG properties

(and yes, the 50 challenges does sound achievable, but would take up a significant amount of time to do - probably one for the locals who want the thrill of a free hotel night's stay in expensive Shinjuku...)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            The Hilton Shinjuku could do with a bit of a reno in some areas, but I agree with the HUGE one on this property, it's got decent staff with very decent rooms at the affordable end, even when I had no HH status.

Been burnt before but the location suits me more than other SPG properties

(and yes, the 50 challenges does sound achievable, but would take up a significant amount of time to do - probably one for the locals who want the thrill of a free hotel night's stay in expensive Shinjuku...)
                            THE HUGE ONE did not say anything about the property as I have not set foot inside...let alone glimpsed more than it's front door while on the Friendly Bus. I just came across the article and knew the hotel was near and dear to many on The Board.

I motion that Kyo+ take up THIS challenge and report back. Not only will it prove to be more entertaining, but I'm sure there's something in some of these challenges for all.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                            X