Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starwood Hotel - New York; Where to stay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    I didn't think 'very happening' is particularly American or Singlish - I've heard it in Australia and elsewhere.
    That just means it was disseminated to Australia.

I think the origin of the noun 'happening' as an event where you go to notice and be noticed is American (see http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=000...3E2.0.CO%3B2-F for the first page of an article with that point). The coopting of a noun directly into an adjective is also a trait of American English.

(I recall an episode of Will & Grace where Sandra Bernhardt describes a get-together as "very cazh, very Dewars-on-the-rocks" -- a gem of an American phrase. )
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
      Talking about NY subway, well, I don't feel safe to try it out. Maybe it's a perception thing and all those stuff I saw on the TV.
      I always ride the subway when I am in NY, as do most New Yorkers. You just have to take normal precautions as in any large city and you should have no problems, especially if you take it during the day and within Manhattan. Give it a try!

Comment

I've only taken the NYC subway a few times but from that limited experience, found it much more fun than the London equivalent. The trains are wider than London so there's more scope for performances by buskers and other entertainers!

I once took the subway (train ?) to JFK in the early evening which was fine but understand it may be slightly dodgy later in the evening ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          I've only taken the NYC subway a few times but from that limited experience, found it much more fun than the London equivalent. The trains are wider than London so there's more scope for performances by buskers and other entertainers!
          I forgot about the buskers! The ones on the platforms are several times more talented than the ones I've run across in London. You've been missing out on a cultural experience, SQFAN.
          Last edited by jjpb3; 20 September 2007, 04:26 AM. Reason: wording
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Talking about NY subway, well, I don't feel safe to try it out. Maybe it's a perception thing and all those stuff I saw on the TV.
            Nothing to worry about. You'll find it's much faster most of the time...especially around 5pm when the taxis miraculously have a retarded shift change.

I didn't think 'very happening' is particularly American or Singlish - I've heard it in Australia and elsewhere.
            We've got quite a few cool sayings here in the US...like "bad boy..."
            HUGE AL

Comment

Ha ha ha ..thanks again for your comments.

Booked W-Court since I am doing a 22hr flying visit (possibly a delayed flight/missed connection issues) and cannot justify the cost. W-Union square will definitely on the list for my next visit when it's cheaper. I do like the decor.

W-Court decor seemed to be designed for the ladies (shock horror for the sexist remark) but I do like it in a funny sense. Now I need is a woman to complete the picture.

Comment

When I was in NYC last August, I covered the city with a combination of subway and walking. The subway was as safe as it could get. I also took the train (can't remember what it's called) from JFK Airport to get to downtown, but not before a transfer to the subway at Jamaica Station or equivalent.
                My Cafe Adventures
                Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
                  I also enjoy staying at W Court & W Tuscany.
                  For a NYC trip over Easter (assuming AZ are still around that is!), I've booked the W Union Square where I stayed last time.

However, for mattress running purposes I need to stay somewhere else. Is the W Court or the W Tuscany better, e.g. location, service, decor etc ? Both are about the same price wise and seem to be in the same part of NYC ?

Comment

For a NYC trip over Easter (assuming AZ are still around that is!), I've booked the W Union Square where I stayed last time.

However, for mattress running purposes I need to stay somewhere else. Is the W Court or the W Tuscany better, e.g. location, service, decor etc ? Both are about the same price wise and seem to be in the same part of NYC ?
                    My friend, who is currently sitting beside me and also another W fan, says that the Tuscany has bigger rooms and better staff. Both are located on the same street and are just a few doors away from each other.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I managed to talk my mum out of W Times Square, and we're now booked at W Union Square for our visit in Feb.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

My friend, who is currently sitting beside me and also another W fan, says that the Tuscany has bigger rooms and better staff. Both are located on the same street and are just a few doors away from each other.
                        For the most part this is correct. The Court has 40 Suites, while the Tuscany has 11 suites. Both are priced in the same range, but the Tuscany usually is a bit more than the Court. I've stayed at each property and have no complaints as both take care of SPG Plats.

Comment

Working...
                        X