Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! SYD NYE 2008 hotels

Calling the Sydneysider contingent!

I've always wanted to see the firework shows on New Year's eve - but every site I've been to is quoting me some exorbitant rate - and that's IF there's availability.

Any other less well known sites and tips to getting decent accomodation?

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
    Calling the Sydneysider contingent!

I've always wanted to see the firework shows on New Year's eve - but every site I've been to is quoting me some exorbitant rate - and that's IF there's availability.

Any other less well known sites and tips to getting decent accomodation?

Ha what are you calling exorbitant, sadly there is not much room for manouvering here, even the hostels jack up the prices and the minimum stays and are still booked out months in advance...

How long are you looking to stay and whats your minimum standard...?

Comment

Originally posted by simong View Post
      How long are you looking to stay and whats your minimum standard...?
      30th and 31st Dec. Minimum standards are (for the duration of this stay), rescinded due to the lack of choice.....

Not up to paying 700-800 USD a night that's for sure.

Comment

Hi...All the hotels around circular quay and darling harbour going to charge that price and there is a minimum stay...but if u willing to walk and stay a little bit further from the harbour... you can get cheaper rate....try meriton....

Comment

Depending where you want to stay, really... As already mentioned, circular quay hotels, such as marriott, four seasons, shangri-la, park hyatt, and quay west, will definitely have astronomical prices, as it is the NYE fireworks area. Cheapest areas will be in kings cross or further in the suburbs, but I don't recommend it. I just had a quick look at many hotels in SYD around 31 Dec, seem that almost all of them charge rack rates, very difficult to find availability too.

Anyway, found a rather reasonable rates at capitol square hotel for $310 at www.rydges.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post

Anyway, found a rather reasonable rates at capitol square hotel for $310 at www.rydges.com.au

Thanks. I found that for 260 AUD on another site, but then am more keen on something on Pyrmont St. for about 250 AUD a night.

Comment

Thanks. I found that for 260 AUD on another site, but then am more keen on something on Pyrmont St. for about 250 AUD a night.
              I lived a year just off Pyrmont........on Bay St. Lot's of "backpackers" in Glebe! Any other info I might add is no doubt old as it was 1989-1990.

Comment

Done. Booked the Oaks Goldsbrough on 243 Pyrmont for 250 AUD a night. Haven't been to "that part" of town for a while now - except to Star.

How far a walk is it from there to the 4P Darling Harbour? I can then extrapolate the distance to CQ... which I'll have to walk home from, probably barefeet after having blistered and cooked my feet in heels.... :O

Comment

Done. Booked the Oaks Goldsbrough on 243 Pyrmont for 250 AUD a night. Haven't been to "that part" of town for a while now - except to Star.

How far a walk is it from there to the 4P Darling Harbour? I can then extrapolate the distance to CQ... which I'll have to walk home from, probably barefeet after having blistered and cooked my feet in heels.... :O
                  I used to walk from our flat on Bay street, (Glebe/Ultimo border) over one hill past (I think it was a TV station) down said hill to Darling harbour. I then walked across the foot bridge to the city where I slaved away in the bowels of Australia Square. It wasn't more than 30 minutes.......If that is too far you might take the Pyrmont or Glebe PT. Rd. Balmain bus. Used to walk with roomy who worked at the Sydney Opera house serving food to Japanese tourists (she is Japanese).

http://citymap.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/
                  Last edited by ; 14 June 2007, 10:55 AM. Reason: map link

Comment

The Oaks that you're going to stay is behind sydney convention centre and its really close to darling harbour....but walking to CQ would be around 15-20 min slow walk....enjoy ** stay.....be there early for good spot during firework show....

Comment

I went to the fireworks a couple of years back and a great display.

The Royal Automobile Club (www.raca.com.au) has rooms and is located about 30 seconds away from the Quay. Not sure if they let rooms out to non-members but single rooms start at A$100.

Comment

Thanks for that coathanger! I'll look it up. The rate i have to the current place i've got booked is flexi.

Comment

Working...
                        X