Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wdranne View Post
    OT a little, but I guess it was indeed you whom I found familiar at the Executive Lounge at breakfast Hah. Cheers.
    You sure it was me?

Comment

• Certainly! Well, most probably. You were with whom I presume was Aunty P from your TRs right? I recall a black and white flowy dress and you in jeans?

Hah, hopefully we'll meet sometime again!

Comment

• Originally posted by wdranne View Post
        Certainly! Well, most probably. You were with whom I presume was Aunty P from your TRs right? I recall a black and white flowy dress and you in jeans?

Hah, hopefully we'll meet sometime again!
        That wasn't Aunty P. Aunty P was in CAN. This one was my colleague.

Comment

• Originally posted by khellek View Post
          Yes, JW Marriott is still one of the best around though its quite a walking distance from the train station
          The JW Marriott is actually my personal fav in the Sukhumvit area.

I'm not a fan of the Sofitels, but the staff at Accor central res BKK is excellent

The Pullman is very trendy, but it's location just doesn't work for me.
          Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            I do not like the Westin, mainly due to the annoying double lift system as much as anything, and am always totally bemused by any Plats that stay there with the SGS opposite...unless its a lot cheaper of course.

Yes it has a lounge where the SGS doesn't, ...
            Posting this from the WGS lounge. It sure ain't much of a lounge, so I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

First stay here and totally underwhelmed, despite the managed expectations from reading SQT and TOF. (Disclaimer: Was booked here by a corp partner.)

Comment

• The LM has one of their lower rates at the moment available. I'm confirmed there this Saturday so I'll be finally able to see what they've done there - I have higher expectations than normal this time, as I tend to enjoy my LM stays more than elsewhere.

Am doing HH double-duty with the Conrad again this Friday also
              Last edited by Kyo; 24 June 2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                Posting this from the WGS lounge. It sure ain't much of a lounge, so I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

First stay here and totally underwhelmed, despite the managed expectations from reading SQT and TOF. (Disclaimer: Was booked here by a corp partner.)
                It's definitely not the best hotel in BKK, but it rocks for the Nights & Flights in terms of value. My buddy always has his own chair reserved next to the bar by the pool so he can get his beers and plug in his laptop.

The weekend brunch there rocks!
                Last edited by HUGE AL; 25 June 2009, 10:17 AM. Reason: these comments are actually in reference to the SGS -- see below
                HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  The LM has one of their lower rates at the moment available. I'm confirmed there this Saturday so I'll be finally able to see what they've done there - I have higher expectations than normal this time, as I tend to enjoy my LM stays more than elsewhere.
                  I stayed in LM a few weeks ago, mainly due to it having the best rate for my short notice stay. I have to say, after convincing myself I wouldn't like it due to the location I did enjoy it more than I thought I would mainly due to the fabulous corner suite I got. The hotel itself is quite nice and very modern/'flashy' (Keith will like it... ).

I still am not struck on the location but it didn't give the Westin the run for my least favourite SPG property in Bangkok like I thought it would. If the rates stay low, I may end up there again.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    It's definitely not the best hotel in BKK, but it rocks for the Nights & Flights in terms of value.
                    I was booked an Exec Floor room and got an Exec Floor room, plus a nice SPG "You've Been Upgraded!" card...

Not good value when Plats tend to get Suites at other SPG properties...

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      I stayed in LM a few weeks ago, mainly due to it having the best rate for my short notice stay. I have to say, after convincing myself I wouldn't like it due to the location I did enjoy it more than I thought I would mainly due to the fabulous corner suite I got. The hotel itself is quite nice and very modern/'flashy' (Keith will like it... ).

I still am not struck on the location but it didn't give the Westin the run for my least favourite SPG property in Bangkok like I thought it would. If the rates stay low, I may end up there again.
                      Ta for the feedback. Will defo book the LM on my next BKK visit, as I've read v nice reviews so far. The location seems most ideal for me. Now trying to convince the other half to make a trip up to BKK on the Jetstar 2-4-1 Starclass sale.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• HUGE AL Was Out Drinking

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                        I was booked an Exec Floor room and got an Exec Floor room, plus a nice SPG "You've Been Upgraded!" card...

Not good value when Plats tend to get Suites at other SPG properties...
                        Apologies.

I read "WGS" as "SGS" above. My bad.

So are LM and the WGS now the frontrunners? Haven't been back to BKK in a few years...
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Apologies.

I read "WGS" as "SGS" above. My bad.
                          That clears that up then. Was getting worried about you for a moment.

Comment

So are LM and the WGS now the frontrunners? Haven't been back to BKK in a few years...
                            My personal ratings on SPG properties, as a Plat:

1) SGS - no brainer for me
                            2) ROS - Yes it's a bit tired (althought undergoing renovations) but I like the river and always get well looked after as Plat
                            3) Plaza Athenee
                            4) New LM (lovely Hotel, poor location)
                            5) Westin

I do keep wondering if I have just been unlucky at the Westin it seems to be popular with a few people. But I can't bring myself to stay there when the fabulous SGS is across the road. Maybe I should try it again...

Comment

Depends on who you speak to. I think most people like the SGS, even if I might beg to differ. I keep hearing about the good brekky benefits at the SGS, but as someone who rarely wakes up in time for breakfast, free or otherwise, free breakfast perks hold v little interest for me.
                              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                                I keep hearing about the good brekky benefits at the SGS, but as someone who rarely wakes up in time for breakfast, free or otherwise, free breakfast perks hold v little interest for me.
                                When considering the better points at the SGS breakfast is not high on the list for me either, even though it is fabulous.

For me it's the Hotel itself, the wonderful service, fabulous outdoor pool area (where you'd never think you were on Sukhumvit), the choice of three locations (Sala by the pool, Living Room and BarSu) for your 2 hours of free drinks each night, 24 hour butler service for you in the Grande Deluxe Suite's and the fact we get Grande Deluxe Suites that go for around 12-13,000 THB a night even when you book the cheapest room.

As I said, no brainer.

Comment

Working...
                                X