No announcement yet.

Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Conrad is not too far away by car. 5 mins thereabouts, 10 mins if you need to U-turn back.

The annoying thing about the Westin and SGS is that if you're on the wrong side of the road (in a car), there's not much you can do except bear with the traffic which can be a 10-minute wait. Unless you're in a cab, then you can just jump out and cross over.

I tried the Conrad's lowest-category room and thought it was very nice. No idea about the steak though.

Comment

• Originally posted by porsche View Post
      How far is the Conrad from the Westin? It actually looks very nice as well - and it has a good steak house I believe - Am I correct
      Conrad and WGS are 2 Skytrain stations apart, about 2~3 km, maybe?

SGS is much better than WGS in terms of connecting to BTS IMHO.
      You can exit directly onto skybridge from SGS.
      From WGS, you have to change elevator, go to the ground level, cross soi 19 and finally claim up to skytrain. Or you go through Robinson department store. Definitely not as convenient as SGS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        Mate, the three Accor properties that I stay in BKK for various reasons are not in Sukhumvit.
        I'm pretty sure there's about 3 Accor properties along Sukhumvit with one (Sofitel) coming online later this year.

Having not stayed in an Accor property in BKK, I couldn't tell you which one would be suitable

Were you referring to the pullman King Power? That was our 1st pullman (in SEA) and from all accounts looks to be the benchmark so far.

I'm a definite fanboy of both sofitel & pullman, moreso pullman, for its edgy chic designs. I'm looking forward to the addition of "So by sofitel" with the launch property being in BKK (2010).

Comment

• Just stayed at the Conrad over the past weekend. it is NOT quite next to a BTS station. Still gotta walk quite a bit from Ploen Chit to all seasons plaza where the Conrad is. I'd put it at around 5-700m.

Comment

• Originally posted by porsche View Post
            How far is the Conrad from the Westin? It actually looks very nice as well - and it has a good steak house I believe - Am I correct
            Not that far, but can take a while if you want to go by taxi and Sukhumvit is gridlocked. Where is the steakhouse supposed to be, the Conrad ?.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            The Conrad is not too far away by car. 5 mins thereabouts, 10 mins if you need to U-turn back.
            Taking a taxi you'd be better off using the Skytarin station to cross Sukhumvit and getting the taxi outside the SGS as it's on the right side.

The annoying thing about the Westin and SGS is that if you're on the wrong side of the road (in a car), there's not much you can do except bear with the traffic which can be a 10-minute wait. Unless you're in a cab, then you can just jump out and cross over.
            Oh yes!. A couple of weeks ago I got in my AOT car at BKK and it was 14.21 on the clock in the car as we pulled away. At 14.42 exactly we were outside the Westin on Sukhumvit. 21 minutes. Of course, it then took us at least another six or seven minutes (probably ten, like you say) with the stupid Bangkok traffic lights to get to reception at the SGS as we had to do the u-turn at the junction with Asoke Road and come back on ourselves to get to the SGS opposite.

The best way to do it if changing between the two and minutes are precious (they are for some !! ) is arrive at the Westin and leave from the SGS.

Originally posted by kkjay77 View Post
            Conrad and WGS are 2 Skytrain stations apart, about 2~3 km, maybe?

SGS is much better than WGS in terms of connecting to BTS IMHO.
            You can exit directly onto skybridge from SGS.
            From WGS, you have to change elevator, go to the ground level, cross soi 19 and finally claim up to skytrain. Or you go through Robinson department store. Definitely not as convenient as SGS.
            Yes the BTS stop for the Conrad is Ploenchit, which is two stops down from Asok at the SGS. You then have to walk to the Conrad though, which takes another 5-8 minutes depending on a number of things like route, heat, speed you walk, obstacles etc...

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
            Having not stayed in an Accor property in BKK, I couldn't tell you which one would be suitable
            None, because despite what Kyo+ (and his converted mate 9V-JKL...) says. Accor Hotels are crap.

Comment

• [QUOTE=MAN Flyer;96334. Another option is the J W Marriot. That's nice and has a good lounge..[/QUOTE]

i used to stay @JW Marriott when i'm in BKK, good hotel, nice bakery, staff is top. The one bedroom suite is kinda outdated and the bathroom is not that great).

The reason i'm not using marriot brand anymore because their reward scheme and promotion now sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                None, because despite what Kyo+ (and his converted mate 9V-JKL...) says. Accor Hotels are crap.
                The Pullman pwns your SGS anyday.

Gunnar Smithsen: If there's one property by which I judge every hotel in BKK, it's the Pullman. And all others have failed to measure up thus far (and I must have tried 70-80% of the hotels worth staying at over there so far) After a stint of four Sofitels over New Year's in Paris, I'm rather jaded - but I can't wait for So by Sofitel.

I am also keenly waiting for W BKK and Aloft to arrive there as I'm also in Sathorn quite a fair bit. The location of the Le Meridien is really out of the way for me, otherwise I'd probably go for that.

Comment

• The Sukhothai is my favourite hotel in Bangkok - an oasis in the middle of busy Bangkok. Highly recommended!

Comment

• Originally posted by mhadian View Post
                    i used to stay @JW Marriott when i'm in BKK, good hotel, nice bakery, staff is top. The one bedroom suite is kinda outdated and the bathroom is not that great).

The reason i'm not using marriot brand anymore because their reward scheme and promotion now sucks.
                    Yes, JW Marriott is still one of the best around though its quite a walking distance from the train station.

Another choice will be The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok. Great place and pool
                    Last edited by khellek; 17 June 2009, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                      The Sukhothai is my favourite hotel in Bangkok - an oasis in the middle of busy Bangkok. Highly recommended!
                      Looks stunning but a little away from everything

Comment

Gunnar Smithsen: ... - but I can't wait for So by Sofitel
                        As far as high end hotels are concerned for Accor in BKK, the next few years it seems only 3 more to come online: Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit (2009), So by Sofitel (2010) & Fenix Bangkok Langsuan - a member of the MGallery collection (2011).

The remaining hotels coming online in BKK are Novotel (3) and Ibis (1).

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                          Just stayed at the Conrad over the past weekend. it is NOT quite next to a BTS station. Still gotta walk quite a bit from Ploen Chit to all seasons plaza where the Conrad is. I'd put it at around 5-700m.
                          OT a little, but I guess it was indeed you whom I found familiar at the Executive Lounge at breakfast Hah. Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                            As far as high end hotels are concerned for Accor in BKK, the next few years it seems only 3 more to come online: Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit (2009), So by Sofitel (2010) & Fenix Bangkok Langsuan - a member of the MGallery collection (2011).

The remaining hotels coming online in BKK are Novotel (3) and Ibis (1).
                            I've just looked on spg.com. Apparently, by Dec 2011, there will be 12 SPG properties just in BKK!

Of course, my favourite is still the FS...

Comment

• http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=60161

NOW, I vote for a merge.
                              HUGE AL

Comment

The Pullman pwns your SGS anyday.

Gunnar Smithsen: If there's one property by which I judge every hotel in BKK, it's the Pullman. And all others have failed to measure up thus far (and I must have tried 70-80% of the hotels worth staying at over there so far) After a stint of four Sofitels over New Year's in Paris, I'm rather jaded - but I can't wait for So by Sofitel.

I am also keenly waiting for W BKK and Aloft to arrive there as I'm also in Sathorn quite a fair bit. The location of the Le Meridien is really out of the way for me, otherwise I'd probably go for that.
                                Hmm, it is quite rare for me to come across an Accor I like but I rather liked the Sofitel in Bangkok. At least the Silom location is superb for me. The breakfast is pretty good too.

I must say the standards of hotels in Bangkok are generally rather high.
                                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                                X