No announcement yet.

Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SGS and the Conrad currently have a travel industry rate of around 2500THB at the moment. Don't know if you know anyone in the travel industry who could help you with that one...

I wasn't greatly impressed with the Plaza Athenee, but I couldn't give you a particular reason why. Some hotels just don't 'feel right', and that was one for me. The LM is brand new not refurbed, isn't it ?. I drove past that and the location doesn't interest me at all (across the road from Patpong) and if the rates are high then I definitely won't bother.

What about the ROS ?. That's always had great rates when I have checked recently.

Comment

Thanks for that very quick reply there - that's news to me (2500THB, I'd book it in a heartbeat without thinking - either one).

Unfortunately I don't know anyone - does it have to be for bookings made by the Thai travel industry? Or can it be any travel agent in Singapore too? So long as it counts as an SPG or Conrad night, I'd be keen. Might even done one of each in that case!

The ROS doesn't interest me because of the location. Too far removed from where I'm normally at (Siam). I've gone next door to it for dinner (river cruise) twice now but the location is just really not of interest as I'm not in BKK for the 'view of the river' kind of holiday. Although I do frequent a spa place in Sathorn, which is fairly nearby.

Comment

I don't recommend the Plaza Athenee either. It felt v dated. Unless it's had a refurb since I last stayed.

How close is the LM to Silom btw? Haven't been to BKK for almost a year now and itching to return.

Have you finally fallen into the SPG trap Kyo?
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 March 2009, 10:02 AM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          I don't recommend the Plaza Athenee either. It felt v dated.

Have you finally fallen into the SPG trap Kyo?
          Hey there KeithMEL, I appreciate you were probably not expecting such an exhaustive reply below, but being a very frequent traveller to BKK (and soon to KUL, I expect), it helps to know what my options are, in every hotel program.

Ramble coming up (you've been warned - feel free not to read if it's too long)

*RAMBLE MODE ON*
          Frankly - I'm not keen on the SPG prices. Nor am I keen on the 'reasonable' fees they want to charge for Internet access. Let's not forget this is Bangkok we are talking about - the local currency is very, very low in valuation, and it costs next to nothing for what some hotel chains price exorbitantly. I do believe however that I'm in a unique position where I can 'try' a fair few properties in quick succession.

For example, last week, at the LM Kuala Lumpur (and only because of SPG's 50% off 'night-after-night', mind you), at least they offered free wi-fi in the lounge which is better than the 70-odd Ringgit they wanted for using it in-room (for reference, that can get you a month's worth of Internet access on TMnet locally). You'd expect LMs to at least provide this complimentary and I hope there's free lounge wi-fi in the LM Bangkok too (note - if you search on the 'night-after-night' link, the LM is not one of the properties that appears in the promotion. A deliberate mistake on SPG's part? I'd certainly like to know the answer.

This time round, I'll make a point of comparing this (probably not exhaustively in a TR, just a summary post after this weekend) with the Lebua State Tower + Accor Pullman in the 5* category (note, free Internet of at minimum 1 hour, 4 hours and 24 hours depending on room category), the 4* VIE mGallery, the budget 3* Ibis (now 'All Seasons'), and for something non-Accor, the Metropolitan Bangkok. There are of course numerous other BKK properties I've stayed in but Accor still gives me what I want at 30% or 50% of the prices. My purpose this trip is to compare the BKK properties (in terms of location, room 'feel', amenities, overall value and basically to know 'firsthand' for myself which is 'better').

I've observed the properties that seem so popular on SQTalk, like the IC Bangkok, a few SPG properties and not too much else - I *am* going to try my best to be objective, maybe even publish a 'list' and rank which hotels truly reflect the value one gets in BKK (Accor status aside). Accor has been earning my ire recently with their inconsistent approach to crediting my A|Club points (still!!!) and FFP miles, but their properties can be up to 1/3 of the cost of an SPG and 1/4 that of a Hilton (and I'm guessing with very little 'added value' at the more expensive properties).

So far, this trade-off with inconsistency is irritating but bearable. I'd like to see what SPG (this weekend) / Hilton + IC (perhaps next weekend or mid-April) can offer by comparison. And that's all. It may cost me a bit more to find out, in fact I definitely will be forgoing my Exec Suite that I *almost* always get at the Pullman, but then I'll finally know for sure where my future hotel budget will be going. I may not be an SPG plat yet either, but the number of nights I usually require to work towards it should not be a problem.

As of now (I intend to book this morning) I am almost certain that this trip, I will check out the Plaza Athenee first, then the Le Meridien tomorrow night. Thanks for the advance 'warnings' about the Plaza Athenee. Now we'll find out whether it is really worth the 3,872 Thai Baht they are asking. Don't think anyone has stayed at the LM in BKK yet (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
          *RAMBLE MODE OFF*

So in short, this weekend could 'make' or 'break' my decision to divert all my future spending away from Accor into Starwood Preferred Guest.

Hehe, wonder if Theytus is seeing this...
          Last edited by Kyo; 27 March 2009, 11:03 AM.

Comment

A review of the LM would be v much appreciated. I just found out that it is indeed near Silom, and am hence tempted to stay there in future. But if it's not up to scratch then I'd probably go back to the Westin.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

KeithMEL, sorry to have to make you wait - I will perhaps stay at the LM this week. Plans have changed and out of nowhere I've readjusted my weekend to now focus on the Sheraton and the Westin. It also seems to be the more popular choices out of everyone here.

We shall see what happens...

Comment

The Sukhothai is my favourite place to stay :-)

Comment

SMK77: Do elaborate?

Yikes, just saw their prices.

I know my threshold and if it's my own dime, I wouldn't be doing that price every weekend. For an ultra-special vacation/event, then maybe. For that price, in Thailand, I'd expect a purebred white elephant to take me to and from MBK with a royal procession...
                  Last edited by Kyo; 27 March 2009, 04:43 PM.

Comment

The Sukothai is my favorite for Sunday Brunch, and your right. Plaza Athenee is not conveniently located, but since being taken over by Le Meridien, it has gotten a tad bit better in service.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      I may not be an SPG plat yet either, but the number of nights I usually require to work towards it should not be a problem.
                      Can't you status match?

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                      The Sukhothai is my favourite place to stay :-)
                      STRONGLY DISAGREE. Thought the fact that the entrances to the rooms were outside was kinda strange...not to mention HOT.

Had drinks in the lobby where I witnessed the waitresses bowing and presenting the bills to all Caucasians, but NEVER to Asian guests. [Note: Asian guests are quite frequently ignored at the Oriental as well]

Thought the Peninsula is across the river, I found it to be the best hotel in BKK -- though I've heard Banyan Tree is quite nice as well.

Unfortunately, SPG achieves its goal of brand loyalty with me in BKK and the SGS is one hell of a deal.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        STRONGLY DISAGREE. Thought the fact that the entrances to the rooms were outside was kinda strange...not to mention HOT.

Had drinks in the lobby where I witnessed the waitresses bowing and presenting the bills to all Caucasians, but NEVER to Asian guests. [Note: Asian guests are quite frequently ignored at the Oriental as well]

Thought the Peninsula is across the river, I found it to be the best hotel in BKK -- though I've heard Banyan Tree is quite nice as well.

Unfortunately, SPG achieves its goal of brand loyalty with me in BKK and the SGS is one hell of a deal.
                        I think it's not only happening in the hotel industry in Thailand, but also aboard Thai Airways.
                        Yes, it seems Sukothai and Oriental hotels staff still need to have "cultural" sensitivity course. That's why I prefer to stay in a place where everyone is equal.. or the one that I had visited and treated me okay. I don't know why but people thinks now that I am a Thai when visiting Bangkok.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                          ....but also aboard Thai Airways.
                          I'm starting to come to the same conclusion myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            Hehe, wonder if Theytus is seeing this...
                            Dear Kyo,

Just did.

apguest.forum@starwoodhotels.com

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
                            Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

Comment

all LHW hotels are great and awesome
                              the guest benefit programe also provides free upgrades(1 category) on its hotel chains.
                              www.lhw.com
                              I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                                A review of the LM would be v much appreciated. I just found out that it is indeed near Silom, and am hence tempted to stay there in future. But if it's not up to scratch then I'd probably go back to the Westin.
                                WARNING!
                                ADULT CONTENT.
                                THE CONTENT OF THIS POST MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR SOME READERS.

I hear that the location is just across from Patpong.
                                So far it's only about ten floors opened. Yes, there are those artsy stuff ala LM. The signage is in English and Japanese.
                                The hotel staff must have been adapted so well to the reality of life. Friends of Dorothy would feel comfortable staying here. Of course, the Japanese men would feel home here as well. You will find the Japanese men guest here with local girl. Of course, it's not all the guests like that. But you get the jist of what might you encounter in your next stay. Definitely if you like partying in Patpong, this is where you should stay.

Comment

Working...
                                X