• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
    Debatable. See TOF.
    Which is why I avoid that place.
    HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
      im booked into the new Doubletree by Hilton this July , not sure if it's open yet but it looks pretty nice. will report back

please report back as I am thinking if I should stay there....
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
        im booked into the new Doubletree by Hilton this July , not sure if it's open yet but it looks pretty nice. will report back
        In the interests of doing a good deed for one's neighbours I had a walk up there last night to have a look. Like all new hotels of that ilk it's decent enough. It's on Soi 26 which is a pretty much Japanese themed area, in more ways than one. They are quoting prices of THB 4000 and up which is too much IMO when you look at what else you can get for that in Bangkok. I only paid a bit more for the SGS. I reckon THB 2500-3000 would be more realistic, in line with the Aloft and 4P.

I had a look at the 'rooftop' bar, which is on the seventh floor and not much to get excited about. Nowhere near as good as the one at the 4P for sure.

Still, it gives Hilton fans (if there are any left) a central option, as does the new Hilton which is one the next street down and opens shortly. That looks ready to go actually. There is also a new Holiday Inn a few blocks further down as well, so it's all happening around there at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          In the interests of doing a good deed for one's neighbours I had a walk up there last night to have a look. Like all new hotels of that ilk it's decent enough. It's on Soi 26 which is a pretty much Japanese themed area, in more ways than one. They are quoting prices of THB 4000 and up which is too much IMO when you look at what else you can get for that in Bangkok. I only paid a bit more for the SGS. I reckon THB 2500-3000 would be more realistic, in line with the Aloft and 4P.

I had a look at the 'rooftop' bar, which is on the seventh floor and not much to get excited about. Nowhere near as good as the one at the 4P for sure.

Still, it gives Hilton fans (if there are any left) a central option, as does the new Hilton which is one the next street down and opens shortly. That looks ready to go actually. There is also a new Holiday Inn a few blocks further down as well, so it's all happening around there at the moment.
          Thanks, I got it on a points plus pay deal which seemed good value @ 1400 baht incl tax plus 8000 points per night. I'll report back on my stay in a months time.
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• 8,000 points + 1,400THB is not too shabby, if there's wide-open availability, I can see that becoming a popular option for the HH fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              8,000 points + 1,400THB is not too shabby, if there's wide-open availability, I can see that becoming a popular option for the HH fans.
              Looking at the Hilton around the corner if they are anything like a similar price I can't see many opting for the Doubletree.

Comment

• Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Bangkok and I was having a look at the W as I am a big fan of the brand. The standard online rate was 5200THB which I felt was a bit of a splurge but reasonable. After browsing through various photos on TripAdvisor and such, she wasn't amused with the whole toilet situation they have going on with the pink bathroom curtain and translucent division between the bathroom and the rest of the space.

We later discovered that the St.Regis is 6205THB on our dates which she claimed was a "small" difference from the W. I, on the other hand, feel that 6.2K THB is a lot for Bangkok considering the 4P and aLoft are both available under 3K.

I understand that the clientele at W properties are usually not the same people that would stay at a St.R (just from my casual and extremely generalised observations, please correct me if I'm wrong). With Bangkok having such a large leisure market is there much cannibalisation from the W to St.R with only 1000THB separating the two?

P.S. I thought offering to stay at the W would be "splurging" considering this is a graduation trip and we are students.
                The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• Viraj, what you need is a corp rate code...

Comment

• I feel the SR is very overpriced for BKK to begin with and I doubt occupancy rates are high. Corp codes also are a bit *meh* there and I prefer my ever more reliable Westin corp rate.

The W is already pushing it, and is a bit lacklustre for me, even on corp codes, so I've yet to stay there. I didn't stay there earlier either, because the suites weren't ready. I'll probably give it a test next month just for the heck of it.

(Feel free to mention whichever codes deliver super discounts for either. Cheapest SGS one I see still hovers around 4000, not including tax - and that changes to 4300/4600 some days).

Comment

• Can't say that I'm a fan of the W here in BKK, it just seems a bit "meh" and the building just has a huge corporate feel to it - understandable given its Sathorn district location.

Whilst the St. Regis is the higher of the SPG properties in BKK, I like it, mostly because of its location on Rajadamri Road.

I'll still take the Four Seasons over all of them

Starpicks can also be a good one for fair prices...

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                        Viraj, what you need is a corp rate code...
                        Working on it.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        I feel the SR is very overpriced for BKK to begin with and I doubt occupancy rates are high. Corp codes also are a bit *meh* there and I prefer my ever more reliable Westin corp rate.

The W is already pushing it, and is a bit lacklustre for me, even on corp codes, so I've yet to stay there. I didn't stay there earlier either, because the suites weren't ready. I'll probably give it a test next month just for the heck of it.
                        I agree about the SR. Please report back regarding the W. Would be nice to see it feature in of your fantastic TRs.
                        The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• If I did TRs on every trip to BKK, we'd run out of server bandwidth and my fingers would become bloody stumps by now

Comment

• Second successive stay with no suite at SGS last weekend. Again they were telling the truth and again I said it might be an idea to avoid the place until next August if this is going to continue. I said as much in a pretty scathing feedback form and to be fair, and not unexpectedly I got an email from Richard Chapman this morning. I take his point, and they were telling the truth, but this is what happened when you are spoiled by someone on over 50 stays and then they take something away.

I must be on a bit of a run at the moment as I didn't get one in the Westin in KL either, first time in a dozen stays.

So bollox to Starwood, I am in the Hyatt in Bangkok tonight.

Comment

• My strike record there just isn't that great at the SGS, they just welcomed me on my 13th stay, thought I'd been there more often than that!

Still getting love at the Westin...

Comment

• That was my 61st stay at the weekend, and I can count on one hand how many time I have been denied a Suite as Plat. I did stay a couple of times years ago before I was Plat.

Not a fan of the Westin at all. I have tried it a few times but aside from my dislike of dual lift properties it does nothing for me. The only Starwood property I'd put below it in Bangkok is the Aloft. I even prefer the LM and Plaza Athenee over it, despite them both having crap locations.

With wonderful irony I have just checked in at the Hyatt and have, for the first time ever, been upgraded to a Grand Executive Suite (I think that's what she said it is), a truly incredible Suite about four times the size of the Grande Deluxe Suites at the SGS. Of course it would happen when I am checking out at 06:30....bl**dy AY and their silly departure times....
                                Last edited by MAN Flyer; 28 June 2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X