Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    Ahhh... Is BarSu THAT expensive? I usually don't remember.
    A bottle of Singha is BHT250 in BarSu compared to BHT 100 at 4P.

Although if you are staying at the SGS and get the Deluxe benefits you can normally ge the evening off to a good start at BarSu for free.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    Good!. We'll be nipping over there regularly then!. Are they showing football in there ?.
    I did not see any sign of a TV there so probably will still have to head somewhere else to watch the footie.

Comment

• Walked past the St Regis yesterday to see how it's coming along with it's 1 April opening. It would be fair to say that it's looking a little ambitious at the moment....

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        Walked past the St Regis yesterday to see how it's coming along with it's 1 April opening. It would be fair to say that it's looking a little ambitious at the moment....
        I'm betting on September...but that might be too early as well.
        HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
          I'm betting on September...but that might be too early as well.
          Oh I think they may still go for next month. The ongoing work is all outside on the front so they could always cover that up. I saw all the furniture inside the with the dust covers on so if they are putting furniture in they must be quite close.

I would just guess that parts of it won't be completely finished off, which is the way they go these days and sounds like what they have done at the W in Bali.

Comment

• Would anyone recommend the Holiday Inn Ploenchit? Heard its located near a skytrain station with good location.

Comment

• Originally posted by First_Flyer View Post
              Would anyone recommend the Holiday Inn Ploenchit? Heard its located near a skytrain station with good location.
              I would. It's pretty good, and the staff are usually very friendly It's really near the Chit Lom station. The last time I got a really good rate, THB2800, and found it to be of good value.
              Last edited by SilverChris; 23 March 2011, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by First_Flyer View Post
                Would anyone recommend the Holiday Inn Ploenchit? Heard its located near a skytrain station with good location.
                Can't comment on the hotel itself - demue is your man for IC hotel group properties in Bangkok - as I have only stayed at the IC next door (which is very nice), but it is an excellent location right next to the BTS.

Comment

Can't comment on the hotel itself - demue is your man for IC hotel group properties in Bangkok - as I have only stayed at the IC next door (which is very nice), but it is an excellent location right next to the BTS.
                  Ahh my call to duty . As always I would say it depends what the OPs expectations are. We all may like it and OP has something different in mind and hates it. So a bit more info on what you are looking for will help get a more detailed response.

However, in general, I would agree with the general opinion that this is a very good Holiday Inn of modern standard, very clean, with decent size rooms and good friendly staff. Room rates per night can be had for less than 3K THB depending on week and season. Overall certainly nice and acceptable even when booking Standard rooms. If you book a rate with breakfast it is pretty good in selection and quality.

If you want to splurge though I would say go for the IC next door and get a Club room, but that is only if you got loose money in your pocket or are out to impress someone special .

The HI location is right smack in front of Chitlom BTS so an easy one-stop to Siam Square malls.The Thai restaurant they have in the HI is pretty good even by Thai (local) standards though of course pricier than normal places outside. You got plenty of food places around and a whole range of stores and shops too. Not sure how far they are on the full re-openning of Central World mall just 300-400 meters up the road, but that one also used to be a decent place for food close by.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• I did find it to be of good value. I paid THB2800 per night, including breakfast Plus you'll get really friendly staff, clean and decent sized rooms

Comment

Walked past the St Regis yesterday to see how it's coming along with it's 1 April opening. It would be fair to say that it's looking a little ambitious at the moment....
                      Well, fair play to them as it is open and I nipped in for a drink on Saturday. I expected it to be only part or half opened but aside from the side street entrance still being blocked off (meaning slightly awkward transport arrival and departures) most of it seems to be up and running.

The bars were quiet but Decanter (where Plats get the 90 minutes wine tasting each night, annoyingly downgraded from 2 hours of free drinks in two different bars they promised a few months ago) looked very nice as was the St Regis Bar. I also liked the Sky Bar which was the outdoor part of the St Regis bar.

I didn't see any rooms so can't comment on those but one of the F&B guys from the SGS is there for a month so was chatting with him. The direct link to the BTS station is some way off, only the supports there at the moment, but it's ready enough to go ahead with our booking in a few weeks to see how it is.

Comment

• I have stayed a couple of times at The Landmark in Sukhumvit area, found it good value and service amazing, stayed at Lifestyle floors. Fitness first gym and wonderful restaurants, location fine with BTS 1 min away. Going back in a couple of weeks for a few days..

Comment

• Originally posted by Nichardenberg View Post
                          I have stayed a couple of times at The Landmark in Sukhumvit area... wonderful restaurants
                          +1 for the food - enjoyed a couple of Yum Cha's there last year and will no doubt enjoy a couple more in a few weeks time... Although the service and view weren't overally noteworthy

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                            +1 for the food - enjoyed a couple of Yum Cha's there last year and will no doubt enjoy a couple more in a few weeks time... Although the service and view weren't overally noteworthy
                            Will try out Yum Cha, at the chinese restaurant I presume, rather looking forward to that, thx for that.
                            I have found their regular rooms, a bit outdated, life style floor is more to my liking. View from the room can vary, guess I have been lucky. I do not have a lot of experience with hotels in BKK so can not compare, but I like their lobby and ambience, service wise I have always been quite pleased. Pool area ok, but could be better, a bit cramped if full.

Comment

• Hi Nichardenberg,

Yes, I was referring to the chinese restaurant. In terms of taste and quality it is outstanding! The view and the service were the let down from my (and to a lesser extent my BH) perspective.

I personally preferred Shanghai 38 @ Sofitel Silom - the view was fantastic as was the service, the food was a little (and not by much) behind that of the Landmark - the view of the pool and the darkish lighting of the restaurant at the Landmark let it down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                                Hi Nichardenberg,

Yes, I was referring to the chinese restaurant. In terms of taste and quality it is outstanding! The view and the service were the let down from my (and to a lesser extent my BH) perspective.

I personally preferred Shanghai 38 @ Sofitel Silom - the view was fantastic as was the service, the food was a little (and not by much) behind that of the Landmark - the view of the pool and the darkish lighting of the restaurant at the Landmark let it down.
                                Will look forward to my stay at the Landmark next week, will try a nice steak at the top and Yum Cha at the Chinese restaurant. Maybe I should try out Shanghai 38 as well. Was think also about Sra Bua restaurant at the Kempenski hotel, menu made by 1 star Michilin Thai restaurant Kiin Kiin chefs from Copenhagen Denmark.

Comment

Working...
                                X