Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
    I just checked into the 4P and must say that it's great. The lobby is bright, airy and spacious. The room is great too - functional and comfortable. It's large and has two double beds. You can open a door to see into the bathroom and in fact, someone sitting in the bath tub can hold the hand of someone lying on one of the double beds!

I understand it opened at the beginning of December. The staff member who showed me up to my room said that they've been very busy. No suite upgrade - the plat benefits I was told about were a happy hour between 5:30--7:30pm in the lobby bar (?) and breakfast between 6:30-10:30am; plus the usual benefits of course.
    I had a room there the other week just to check it out, the night after Kyo actually who I met up with in the lobby there. He spent more time there so can probably give you a better write up than me but while I agree it's anice place it's just that, 'nice', which if you consider all the other options in Bangkok is not really anything to get excited about. It's good value for THB 1900, however they have made it clear that was an opening offer that they probably won't repeat so any more and it's not going to be of much interest to me I am afraid.

It may be of interest for a long day layover but I get a day rate at the SGS and after the way they looked after me earlier this month on my 30th stay, (Salvatore Ferragamo box set gift and other things...) they just win every time, expecially as my last few bookings have been at THB 3999. It will have a fan club though, participation on FT guarantees you that.

One thing I probably will do is drink in the 4P as that rooftop bar looks like it will be nice and a couple of the ex-BarSu girls are going to be working there. They'll make more money out of me that way anyway if my BarSu bills are anything to go by....

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      One thing I probably will do is drink in the 4P as that rooftop bar looks like it will be nice and a couple of the ex-BarSu girls are going to be working there. They'll make more money out of me that way anyway if my BarSu bills are anything to go by....
      Yes - I went for a few drinks in the 4P ground floor bar (the Beer Vault) this evening (it was totally dead so I just sat there with my laptop) and the girls there claimed to know you!

Comment

• Anyone used Onetravel.com. They have the SGS at $89 at the weekend and $105 during the week, which is well below the direct price with the SGS. I always get a bit worried when I see a deal that looks too good to be true

Comment

• ?! Can they pricebeat a site like Onetravel? If that's so, I have 3 nights to cancel this weekend elsewhere...

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobster View Post
            Anyone used Onetravel.com. They have the SGS at $89 at the weekend and $105 during the week, which is well below the direct price with the SGS. I always get a bit worried when I see a deal that looks too good to be true
            Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            ?! Can they pricebeat a site like Onetravel? If that's so, I have 3 nights to cancel this weekend elsewhere...
            With the tax included the rate becomes $125(and change) for the $88.66 deluxe room at the SGS. What is the chance that SPG will match?

Comment

• Only had time to check now.

Currently, Onetravel seems to be quoting this weekend's rates at USD98 + 50.40 tax - 15.00 'booking credit' (eh??)...

Where did the $89 come from?

Without this mysterious 'booking credit', the numbers come up more or less quite similar. I wonder if SPG will match with Bestrate... I've done two requests now (for Friday and Sunday evening), and let's see what happens. If they come through, I'll need to re-arrange one final (Sat night) stay at the Westin. We're not out of the woods yet...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                If they come through, I'll need to re-arrange one final (Sat night) stay at the Westin. We're not out of the woods yet...
                So I was not the only one distinctly underwhelmed by the 4P, and who won't go near it now it's more expensive. Although why you want to stay in the Westin god only knows.

Comment

Although why you want to stay in the Westin god only knows.
                  I was about to say the same thing. Completely baffling!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

So I was not the only one distinctly underwhelmed by the 4P, and who won't go near it now it's more expensive. Although why you want to stay in the Westin god only knows.
                    I think the 4P is still in its early stages and it'd be unfair to criticise them at this point in time. I also felt they genuinely did show reasonable concern and hospitality during my one-nighter with them last time. I did say I would go back and that hasn't changed.

My bookings were actually for Fri at 4P, Sat at Westin, Sun at 4P. Reasons? Mattress run... having to lug my luggage that 100m further to the SGS... price... (I'd do the Onetravel.com price as I do need to stock up on a certain bathroom amenity I can only get at the SGS).

Mind you, Sunday night with the Hilton was rather tempting, but I have to leave heaps early on Monday back to SIN.

Comment

Mattress run...
                      Mattress run?! This early in the year?! For which crappy SPG Promo???
                      HUGE AL

Comment

• Yes, indeed - I need to run all I can to attain a certain something with SPG before April kicks in...

Comment

I think the 4P is still in its early stages and it'd be unfair to criticise them at this point in time. I also felt they genuinely did show reasonable concern and hospitality during my one-nighter with them last time. I did say I would go back and that hasn't changed.
                          I doubt I'll be back, unless it goes back to THB 1900 and the SGS jumps in price. I'll drink there for sure, but I won't stay there.

My bookings were actually for Fri at 4P, Sat at Westin, Sun at 4P. Reasons? Mattress run... having to lug my luggage that 100m further to the SGS... price... (I'd do the Onetravel.com price as I do need to stock up on a certain bathroom amenity I can only get at the SGS).
                          Lug your luggage ?. You only have hand luggage, don't you ?!. It's as easy to cross the bridge between the SGS and Westin surely ?. And why do you need to do a mattress run so early in the year ?.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          Yes, indeed - I need to run all I can to attain a certain something with SPG before April kicks in...
                          Have I missed something, a promo may be ?.
                          Last edited by MAN Flyer; 19 January 2011, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• Hello good sirs and mdms

Anyone has reviews about the Pullman Bangkok King Power. it is a toss between Novotel on Siam Square and this for my upcoming trip but i just wanted to check out on the offerings before naking a decision.

Specifically looking at beds, breakfast and proximity to shopping

Comment

• http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...5&postcount=42

Much of that post's impression of the hotel remains true. No pics, however the beds are good, breakfast is a veritable smorgasboard of choices and shopping is reachable by tuk-tuk/skytrain combination or taxi.

Comment

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...5&postcount=42

Much of that post's impression of the hotel remains true. No pics, however the beds are good, breakfast is a veritable smorgasboard of choices and shopping is reachable by tuk-tuk/skytrain combination or taxi.
                                Awesome, showed your post to my woman and she is convinced of the Pullman and the exec room.

Looks like a promising start even before the trip... I am looking forward to the golden tuk tuk

Comment

Working...
                                X