No announcement yet.

Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangkok sounds more and more like Bargain galore MAN_Fyer. It's funny, i notice Phuket doesn't get mentioned much nowadays.

Having said that, I always ended up chosing ICN or HKG on decision day. Or anyway in lovely Aust.

I'm also hearing good things about HCMC (SGN).

Cheerio, all resident BKK experts.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQTalked View Post
      Would recommend Holiday Inn Ploenchit anyday. It would be a bonus if Central World reopens. Novotel was abit tired.

A question, sqdazz - resident BKK expert, would it be quicker to catch the airport train and BTS to Ploenchit or the usual clapped out BKK Taxis? Any price difference?

Cheers.
      As MAN Flyer has answered, the train cost is very cheap. I took it last September, and it only cost B15 (I heard this is promo rate, and will go up to normal rate of B40) for normal train (which make many stop and you can stop at Phayathai) and make connection to the BTS to Ploenchit. There is a connecting bridge from the Airport Link to BTS

Express train which stop at Makassan is at B100 now (normal rate I heard is B150). Was told there is promo for day trip (back and flow) for B100, but must be used on the same day. I heard mostly airport staffs is making a gain of this.

Personally, I do not recommend someone with many/big luggage to use the train as the station is not very friendly. Small lift. Many stairs to claim and hard to find the escalator. Especially if you need to take taxi to the train station as Phayathai area can be quite jam.
      visit my blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        For 4900THB, you can stay at the Conrad (only 4160THB for advance purchases), a little further down and a 5 mins walk to the Skytrain... actually, you can already stay just about anywhere (except the Hyatt, which is still amongst the priciest for their bog standard rooms, feel free to prove me wrong, Hyatt-lovers)

You can also stay at the Westin, Four Points and loads of other hotels for that price, really. I'd also consider expanding your options to places reachable by taxis, perhaps along the riverside (all of which are very cheap and not the deathtraps these naysayers above make them out to be). My favourite happens to be the Le Meridien, and for even cheaper rooms, the Royal Orchid Sheraton (where I'm typing this post from)

I also vote for this thread to be combined with the more general BKK hotel recommendations one...
        I will second that. Novotel Siam is very overprice and I heard the room is not nice.

Why don't you considered Pullman Bangkok?

It is only about 3 years old property next to King Power DFS (belong to the same owner). Not too far away from Victory Monument BTS (about 5 min walk or less). They also provide tuk tuk service from the hotel to the mall which is connected to the BTS Stations.

At about B3000++ you can get their deluxe room. And their Executive Suite (which is 1 br) is around B4500++ with full access to lounge.

Other options is Vie Hotel (M Gallery). It is just across Asia Hotel, stone away of Ratjatevee station. Their deluxe suite - 1 bed room with a huge living room (which is 81 sqm) is available for B3600 for 20-Dec for 3 night (according to Accor site - prepaid). They also have a 2-br which is 145 sqm. They are using Aigner for the bath-room amenities
        visit my blog

Comment

• Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
          Other options is Vie Hotel (M Gallery). It is just across Asia Hotel, stone away of Ratjatevee station. Their deluxe suite - 1 bed room with a huge living room (which is 81 sqm) is available for B3600 for 20-Dec for 3 night (according to Accor site - prepaid). They also have a 2-br which is 145 sqm. They are using Aigner for the bath-room amenities

I'm going for VIE Hotel in Jan (pre-booked during their 50% off sale last month @ 1800 THB before taxes), read fave reviews about this property! Should be an excellent choice and good location too!

Comment

• I've commented at length on the Pullman vs the VIE previously, having stayed at both well over 20 times...

The Pullman is excellent - but the OP had asked earlier for a train next to the BTS. There's a golden tuk-tuk service from the main door of the Pullman to the BTS, but it's not exactly just across the road, plus the tuk-tuk doesn't leave on frequent intervals sometimes (it's very much luck of the draw here).

The VIE has Aigner amenities, but I found the furnishings of low quality (lots of chips on the furniture and not even within a year of its opening) and although the spaciousness is impressive, the hotel is now overpriced. They used to sell a room per night for 1100THB, and that's not including a 50% off discount or anything. If there was a 50% discount, I'd instead use that at the Pullman EVERY SINGLE TIME. The breakfast/restaurant spread is generally far better at the Pullman also.

The final straw was the Pullman and VIE's combined ability to never credit my A|Club points (I would've made A|Club Platinum if they'd done that). VIE had a 100% failure rate to credit, and once I had to return to BKK 3 times to request for it, plus they'd 'forgotten' about the MGallery x2 points promo they had... and nothing I could say would convince them otherwise. Pullman fared slightly better, at 50% of the time...

Anyway, after giving up Accor for HHonors and SPG (albeit paying almost double sometimes than I used to pay at Accor), no more dramas with points for the most part...

...fighting for suites when SPG doesn't offer it off the bat, however, is a different matter...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              I've commented at length on the Pullman vs the VIE previously, having stayed at both well over 20 times...

The Pullman is excellent - but the OP had asked earlier for a train next to the BTS. There's a golden tuk-tuk service from the main door of the Pullman to the BTS, but it's not exactly just across the road, plus the tuk-tuk doesn't leave on frequent intervals sometimes (it's very much luck of the draw here).

The VIE has Aigner amenities, but I found the furnishings of low quality (lots of chips on the furniture and not even within a year of its opening) and although the spaciousness is impressive, the hotel is now overpriced. They used to sell a room per night for 1100THB, and that's not including a 50% off discount or anything. If there was a 50% discount, I'd instead use that at the Pullman EVERY SINGLE TIME. The breakfast/restaurant spread is generally far better at the Pullman also.

The final straw was the Pullman and VIE's combined ability to never credit my A|Club points (I would've made A|Club Platinum if they'd done that). VIE had a 100% failure rate to credit, and once I had to return to BKK 3 times to request for it, plus they'd 'forgotten' about the MGallery x2 points promo they had... and nothing I could say would convince them otherwise. Pullman fared slightly better, at 50% of the time...

Anyway, after giving up Accor for HHonors and SPG (albeit paying almost double sometimes than I used to pay at Accor), no more dramas with points for the most part...

...fighting for suites when SPG doesn't offer it off the bat, however, is a different matter...
              Kyo, the walk from Pullman to BTS is not that far, IMO. I did it before. It is less than 5 min walk... Not that far for my standard. Of course they are not exactly by the BTS.

Yes, I used to have problem with the A-club point credited. But as long as you have the invoice, they will retrofit it for you (although at some point this will take ages. I was told they have many issue with the A-club system connected to hotel). Anyway, now you can see the points posted within few days. I have made 5 stays in Accor properties this year and all the points were automatically credited to your account within few days (normally 3 days). No more like last time.

I have to admit that VIE is a bit over price now. Personally I will not stay there if the rate is more than B2000/night. The last time I stayed I got it for B3600 on 1-on-1 promotion. so 2 nights for B3600++ is not that bad. I saw 3for2 promo just now at Accor side but not reading the details.
              visit my blog

Comment

• Originally posted by cmy View Post
                I'm going for VIE Hotel in Jan (pre-booked during their 50% off sale last month @ 1800 THB before taxes), read fave reviews about this property! Should be an excellent choice and good location too!
                Good deal... But 1 thing I hate about this hotel is many taxi drivers do not know the hotel. Better ask the hotel staff to write the complete address in Thai. Because if you come from MBK area on Asia hotel side, the U turn will be quite challenging. Need to come from Prathunam area toward Siam....

I have a few hard time trying to tell this to the taxi driver in my broken (or should I say very limited) Thai.
                visit my blog

Comment

• lingua101: I agree - it's a very short walk from the Pullman and I've done it many times. But A|Club pushed me over the edge... if I go back, it will be for sentimental reasons at either property. In fact, my Accor A|Club status is about to expire to zero status on the 30th of November. As expected, my Novotel Suvarnabhumi stay also failed to credit back in August, and I bet the one I have on Christmas eve will also fail to credit. Accor's loyalty program has more holes in it than swiss cheese, frankly - it's suitable for the infrequent stayers or those who think 'Silver' is actually worth *something* when they pay for Advantage Plus... it doesn't suit my needs so I've essentially dumped it (sorry Gunnar Smithsen).

I'm now one stay to go to requalify for SPG plat next year with HH under the belt also... should have that covered by next Wednesday night in SGN (unfortunately the SGN Sheraton doesn't qualify for SPG's ENC).

Just tell the taxi driver to 'pai' a U-turn. If he doesn't know what a U-turn is, you're being obviously cheated. Stop at the BTS staircase, go up the stairs, cross the road, and down to the hotel past the House of Rock.

Comment

• Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                    Good deal... But 1 thing I hate about this hotel is many taxi drivers do not know the hotel. Better ask the hotel staff to write the complete address in Thai. Because if you come from MBK area on Asia hotel side, the U turn will be quite challenging. Need to come from Prathunam area toward Siam....

I have a few hard time trying to tell this to the taxi driver in my broken (or should I say very limited) Thai.
                    Haha, I intend to take the airport train and find my way there myself! I specifically booked this promotion just to try out the hotel even when I just went BKK 3 months ago!

Comment

• There is a new Crowne Plaza Lumpini Park opening in late Dec, anyone knows how about the location ? Is it a remote area far from city centre?

Comment

• Judging by the name, Lumpini Park is between Witthayu (Wireless Rd) and the Sathorn embassy/business district, it's not far from the city centre at all...

Comment

• Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                          There is a new Crowne Plaza Lumpini Park opening in late Dec, anyone knows how about the location ? Is it a remote area far from city centre?
                          I believe that should be ex-Pan Pacific. My friend told me that Pan Pacific will be re-branded as Crowne Plaza.

it is at Rama 4 between Silom and Surawong.

anyway, I found this information which confirm my above comment:
                          Crowne Plaza to launch in Bangkok

IHG continues expansion in Thailand with rebranding of Pan Pacific Bangkok
                          http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?PageID=414&NewsID=2531
                          Last edited by lingua101; 30 November 2010, 10:37 AM.
                          visit my blog

Comment

• Hi chaps, how about a SQT-DO in BKK? As it stands I have no substantial reasons/ excuses to visit BKK for a few years.

Cheers.

Comment

• Anyone has stayed on the newly open Novotel Ploenchit BKK? Or have heard/seen review of it?
                              visit my blog

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                                4P has THB1900++ available at the moment so I've replaced my SGS stay at the end of December (currently THB5600++ flexible or THB4000++ prepaid) with the 4P. I registered also for the promotion (stays at a 4P count double towards elite status) but I probably won't need it.

Until I read MAN Flyer's post above again, I didn't realise the 4P is literally round the corner from the Westin! The 4P sounds great for a mattress run - not quite as easy as going from the SGS to the Westin but at this sort of rate, I can manage wheeling my luggage a hundred metres!
                                I just checked into the 4P and must say that it's great. The lobby is bright, airy and spacious. The room is great too - functional and comfortable. It's large and has two double beds. You can open a door to see into the bathroom and in fact, someone sitting in the bath tub can hold the hand of someone lying on one of the double beds!

I understand it opened at the beginning of December. The staff member who showed me up to my room said that they've been very busy. No suite upgrade - the plat benefits I was told about were a happy hour between 5:30--7:30pm in the lobby bar (?) and breakfast between 6:30-10:30am; plus the usual benefits of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X