Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
    but personally I like the holiday inn ploenchit (near platinum mall - sorry boys, you'll never understand why) . Right outside the BTS too, not far if you want to get a live view of a protest
    I understand and im a boy?
    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Would recommend Holiday Inn Ploenchit anyday. It would be a bonus if Central World reopens. Novotel was abit tired.

A question, sqdazz - resident BKK expert, would it be quicker to catch the airport train and BTS to Ploenchit or the usual clapped out BKK Taxis? Any price difference?

Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
        This is kinda last minute (for me, at least). I'm off to BKK for 4 nights beginning 26 Nov, and I'm deciding between the Novotel and the Holiday Inn (Ploenchit Rd). I was told that both are located in convenient locations.

Which one has nicer rooms and is closer to a SkyTrain station?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated
        If you are referring to the Novotel at Siam Square the the HI is much nicer.

Is there a particular reason why those two hotels and Ploenchit are the desired location ?. Bangkok has probably the worlds best choice of quality hotels at excellent prices. You have the Hyatt and the IC near Ploenchit for a start.

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
        I do know that the Holiday Inn in Silom is top notch ! Stayed there 5 nights earlier in the year . It was conveniently located with great food around and not too far off from the BTS station .
        I haven't stayed in the HI Silom but I have been there and I can't think of a BTS station it is close to ?. I would think Surasak is the closest, but that must be a 10 minute walk away. Bearing in mind a fair chunk of hotels are next to BTS stations I wouldn't really call that convenient.

Originally posted by SQTalked View Post
        A question, sqdazz - resident BKK expert, would it be quicker to catch the airport train and BTS to Ploenchit or the usual clapped out BKK Taxis? Any price difference?

Cheers.
        If I could cheekily chime in before our resident expert does , the airport train costs peanuts (the city line to Phaya Thai currently costs 15 THB!), so is there is a huge price difference. If you are going to Ploenchit then you need to get the city line train to Phaya Thai rather than the Express to Makasan. From there it's about 4 or 5 stops on the BTS Sukhumvit Line.

Comment

• And on the subject of BKK's clapped out death traps (taxis) and considering that SQTalked has asked in another thread about a day trip from Tokyo to Kyoto etc (so presumably a few extra bob is not a massive consideration), then consider also the option in BKK of the AOT taxis. Depending on your point of view, you're either making the only sane and rational choice OR being a "pansy" - details here:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9971

Comment

• All I can say is, I'd not stay at either one!

I'd rather less prefer the Novotel, also

Do you have a budget you have to stick to?

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

I haven't stayed in the HI Silom but I have been there and I can't think of a BTS station it is close to ?. I would think Surasak is the closest, but that must be a 10 minute walk away. Bearing in mind a fair chunk of hotels are next to BTS stations I wouldn't really call that convenient.
              Yea Surasak is the closest ! 10 minute walk ?!?! I didn't realise it took THAT LONG

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                All I can say is, I'd not stay at either one!

I'd rather less prefer the Novotel, also

Do you have a budget you have to stick to?
                Not more than THB4900 per night. Why won't you stay in those hotels?

Comment

• why not consider Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 15, less then B2300 including taxes....

steps away from Asok or Nana Stations....
                  This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Plenty of excellent hotels in the 5* gallery can be found for under that price bracket...

I mirror other SQTalkers hesitancy to stay at the Novotel Siam Square... There's simply much better hotels available for the price you're willing to pay...

Read the thread regarding finding a hotel in bangkok - there's plenty of excellent opinions there..

Comment

• For 4900THB, you can stay at the Conrad (only 4160THB for advance purchases), a little further down and a 5 mins walk to the Skytrain... actually, you can already stay just about anywhere (except the Hyatt, which is still amongst the priciest for their bog standard rooms, feel free to prove me wrong, Hyatt-lovers)

You can also stay at the Westin, Four Points and loads of other hotels for that price, really. I'd also consider expanding your options to places reachable by taxis, perhaps along the riverside (all of which are very cheap and not the deathtraps these naysayers above make them out to be). My favourite happens to be the Le Meridien, and for even cheaper rooms, the Royal Orchid Sheraton (where I'm typing this post from)

I also vote for this thread to be combined with the more general BKK hotel recommendations one...

Comment

• I got lost trying to find a taxi from Siam Paragon and stumbled into the quite new Kempinski next door. Made a note to check it out next time.

Comment

My favourite happens to be the Le Meridien
                          +1 !

Comment

For 4900THB, you can stay at the Conrad (only 4160THB for advance purchases), a little further down and a 5 mins walk to the Skytrain... actually, you can already stay just about anywhere (except the Hyatt, which is still amongst the priciest for their bog standard rooms, feel free to prove me wrong, Hyatt-lovers)

You can also stay at the Westin, Four Points and loads of other hotels for that price, really. I'd also consider expanding your options to places reachable by taxis, perhaps along the riverside (all of which are very cheap and not the deathtraps these naysayers above make them out to be). My favourite happens to be the Le Meridien, and for even cheaper rooms, the Royal Orchid Sheraton (where I'm typing this post from)

I also vote for this thread to be combined with the more general BKK hotel recommendations one...
                            Thanks for the advice, will consider the Westin. Would you be able to shed some light on their Executive rooms compared to the Novotel?

And sorry I must have missed the general BKK hotel thead. Feel free to merge!

Comment

• There are plenty of resident BKK experts on here And i see the questions have been answered well.

The members of this forum seem to be in Bangkok more than anywhere else other than Singapore IMO. Any question relating to Bangkok will be answered very quickly and accurately!

p.s. Welcome to SQTalk - SqTalked
                              My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Oh well, if that's your budget forget the HI and Novotel. You can stay in some of the best in the city for that sort of money at the moment.

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                                why not consider Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 15, less then B2300 including taxes....

steps away from Asok or Nana Stations....
                                Yep, 1900 THB++ for the Four Points at the moment. It opens next month, hopefully (it should already be open) and is just behind the Westin so near Asok BTS. It's a bit further to Nana....

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                                actually, you can already stay just about anywhere (except the Hyatt, which is still amongst the priciest for their bog standard rooms, feel free to prove me wrong, Hyatt-lovers)
                                You're wrong , I stay at the Hyatt for less than the THB 4900 budget.

My favourite happens to be the Le Meridien
                                Lovely hotel, awful location.

I agree about the ROS though, having stayed on the river for the first time in 18 months a couple of weeks ago, I realise how much I like being down there.

Comment

Working...
                                X