JW Marriott Shenzhen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JW Marriott Shenzhen

Spent a few days in Shenzhen this week, before heading back go Singapore via HKG on CX. (More here on the CX "The Bridge" Lounge in HKG and my flight HKG-SIN on CX715).

While I was there, I stayed at the JW Marriott in Shenzhen. My regular hotel in Beijing is the JW Marriott, which is wonderful, but this was my first stay at the JW Marriott in Shenzhen, and this was just as good, in some ways better. Read on for more...
    Last edited by yflyer; 21 January 2014, 12:01 AM.

I arrived in Shenzhen in the early evening, at the new airport terminal, apparently just opened a month prior.

The new terminal was, like many new airports in China these days, enormous, and imposing.

I did find the design to be quite striking and stylish, in a futuristic sort of way.

The only catch was the very long walk (assisted by moving walkways, of course) from my gate to the arrivals area.

Comment

The JW Marriott Shenzhen is around 30 minutes away from the airport, in the busy Futian district in Shenzhen.

This is a modern and very elegantly styled hotel.

This is the lobby.

An Exec Floor room...

Work area with comfortable chair...

JBL iPod dock (with the older docking connector...)

A very large and spacious bathroom, which had both a rain shower and standalone bathtub...

Comment

His and hers bedroom slippers...what could be more indulgent...

Comment

The Exec Lounge was wonderful as well...

The breakfast spread...

So far nothing out of the ordinary, you would find this at hotel Exec Lounges in almost any major city.

But what differentiates this lounge is a full blown egg and noodle station, with eggs and noodles prepared to order. A very pleasant surprise! Even the JW Marriott Beijing does not have this!

I ordered a bowl of noodles for breakfast...

In the evening, apart from evening canapes, the lounge also provides cocktails and alcoholic beverages till 9.30pm.

Overall, this was a wonderful hotel to stay in, and one I would definitely return to if I head to Shenzhen again.

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Very spiffy hotel, indeed! Thanks for the report, yflyer. I fly too much to the US and most of the hotels there are no where near the class of Asian hotels AND charge much more too.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
              Very spiffy hotel, indeed! Thanks for the report, yflyer. I fly too much to the US and most of the hotels there are no where near the class of Asian hotels AND charge much more too.
              Yup...unless one is prepared to pay a lot, it seems quite rare to be wowed by a hotel in the US.

The major hotel chains in the US tend to target very specific customer segments with their brands/sub-brands, and seldom over-achieve or give you anything more than what you would expect for that price.

That said, some of my best experiences have been at places like Hilton Garden Inn, or Marriott Courtyard / Residence Inn, because you know what to expect (i.e. don't expect the Four Seasons...).

Comment

Working...
              X