STARWOOD's disturbing serious privacy/stalking issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STARWOOD's disturbing serious privacy/stalking issue

some users here who use the other website may be following this thread. I'm not sure what the culture here but given that its a serious privacy issue affecting all readers here, i hope this be ok with website operator.

In essence, there is no denial by either starwood or individual hotels that they will and have check on any and all details available to them even if unreasonable or without just cause.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...mn-westin.html

I don't think it's a good move, but it's not immoral or illegal if you have a fully public profile. Don't expose yourself if you don't want random people to look.

Comment

disturbing? Hardly....

I'd be more disturbed - as mentioned by a member of TOF - if they'd employed a regulare Joe/Joanne Citizen to follow me around for confirmation of the information I made available on said social media sites...

Moral to the story - use a different email address...

Comment

I'm not surprised to hear that they are clamping down on abuse of the corporate rates.

I don't see what the fuss is about them looking at Facebook. If you post stuff up on the internet for everyone to see you can hardly claim someone looking at it is a breach of privcy. If you don't want them to see your info then just change your privacy settings

Comment

They tried something similar on me last month but I had extremely plausible/valid reasons for the codes I used. Still didn't stop them from reducing the number of nights that had double-posted, and removing points from some properties also. Approximately 10 since 2007, some were genuine cock-ups on their part, and others were debatable (timezone differences in particular when going backwards to the States).

It's worrying.

Comment

Serves them right for using Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
              I'm not surprised to hear that they are clamping down on abuse of the corporate rates.

I don't see what the fuss is about them looking at Facebook. If you post stuff up on the internet for everyone to see you can hardly claim someone looking at it is a breach of privcy. If you don't want them to see your info then just change your privacy settings
              Absolutely agree!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post

The problem is that laws exists to criminalise individuals who do such acts and its called stalking.

Issues of such nature may be viewed differently in various jurisdiction.

Any decent legal practitioner out of Australia, US and the UK will point out the number of cases in the press of individuals who use facebook or information there against owners of the various accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by RHG View Post
                  The problem is that laws exists to criminalise individuals who do such acts and its called stalking.

Issues of such nature may be viewed differently in various jurisdiction.

Any decent legal practitioner out of Australia, US and the UK will point out the number of cases in the press of individuals who use facebook or information there against owners of the various accounts.
                  FYI, banks have started to use social media to dig for evidence that loan defaulters do have evidence to pay, or even to track that down. Legal for the most part (even admissible in court), even in the US.

Comment

That's why I don't use my real name on Facebook and I don't post all my travel schedule for everyone to see.

Comment

Originally posted by ginkoka View Post
                      FYI, banks have started to use social media to dig for evidence that loan defaulters do have evidence to pay, or even to track that down. Legal for the most part (even admissible in court), even in the US.
                      Yes and technically, its criminal and illegal. Thats the problem with stalking legislation. IT COVERS ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING, including online material.

US privacy laws exists such that information collection methods are a way to avoid criminal prosecution.

I'm sure you would have diligently done your research before posting anything online.

Comment

Yes and technically, its criminal and illegal. Thats the problem with stalking legislation. IT COVERS ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING, including online material.

US privacy laws exists such that information collection methods are a way to avoid criminal prosecution.

I'm sure you would have diligently done your research before posting anything online.
                        Um, how is searching for publicly available information stalking? Where is the criminal intent to cause fear in this case?
                        /Desert Traveller

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Traveller View Post
                          Um, how is searching for publicly available information stalking? Where is the criminal intent to cause fear in this case?
                          Its the usage of that information that relates to what you're talking about. and consequent action and in various jurisdictions, its the word of the alleged victim that the police simply believes in to initiate criminal proceedings.
                          Whether someone gets convicted, its another story.

What you are asking for is definition of specific action and i'm not in the business of providing speculative future information.

Comment

Let's just say I've done a consulting project on a related topic and know of such incidents happening. It's fully legal and admissible in court. The crux is that publicly available information is fair game, especially if the intention is to seek evidence to enforce or validate a contract. And it's also widely known that even in the US, HR teams frequently conduct background checks using social media before signing people on. Fully legal.

Please make sure your own facts are correct

Comment

Originally posted by ginkoka View Post
                              Let's just say I've done a consulting project on a related topic and know of such incidents happening. It's fully legal and admissible in court. The crux is that publicly available information is fair game, especially if the intention is to seek evidence to enforce or validate a contract. And it's also widely known that even in the US, HR teams frequently conduct background checks using social media before signing people on. Fully legal.
                              i hesitate to post a reply as i was only highlighting a serious issue, pertinent to users here.

http://www.lacriminaldefenseattorney.../Stalking.aspx

maybe you would change your opinion after reading that. I could post a list of cases for which arrests were made based on using information from public records, ie public available information. But seriously, based on your pattern of usage on this board, i don't think its worth my time.

I do not encourage any illegality nor of any planning of any such activity and as seen by opinions posted, many of your peers have indicated they are not comfortable with the kind of tracking/monitoring of their online activity mentioned and making linkages based on that.

It would appear you disagree.

Comment

Working...
                              X