Which chain for status challenge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which chain for status challenge?

So, with a bunch of opportunities for staying enough nights to make a status challenge, I'm debating which one to go for, and would appreciate the wisdom of the board (although with somewhat predictable support by certain SQTalkers for particular chains! )

The following are my thoughts on each program/challenge and the plusses and minuses - if anyone has any experiences, thoughts or tips to share, it would be very helpful.

Starwood
    Details of the challenge:
    * 18 nights in 90 days
    * No Plat given during the challenge (although I'm gold, FWIW)
    * Status will last until Feb 2014, I believe?

+ Generous upgrades including suites
    + Very good coverage in the regions I'm likely to travel to most (Europe/Asia)
    + 18 nights not as onerous as Hilton
    + A lot of affordable Starwood options (FP, Aloft, etc) if I need to do "status runs"
    + Best rate guarantee program generous in both the number of points and ease of approval

- Some cities have surprisingly iffy coverage (Singapore, anyone?)
    - The target clientele/interior design of the top end (St. Regis etc) seems to be aimed at people roughly 30 years older than me
    - No amazing promotions at present
    - Since Gold has so few benefits, the stays during the challenge will not be as pleasant (no exec floors, no real upgrades, etc)

Hilton
    * 21 nights in 90 days
    * No Diamond given during the challenge (although I'm gold here too, FWIW)
    * Status will last until Feb 2014, I believe?

+ As with Starwood, good coverage in most cities, esp. in Europe/Asia
    + Diamonds now seem to get decent upgrades on a roughly same basis as SPG Plat
    + Stays during the challenge will be easier than Starwood as HH Gold has much better benefits, including exec floor upgrades, free breakfast, etc
    + As with Starwood, decent "budget" options as well as the higher-end ones

- 21 nights is rather a lot in 3 months
    - Although Conrad is very nice, I'm not sure that there are a whole lot of "very special" properties that you see with the Park Hyatts for example
    - No amazing promotions at present
    - For some reason, only one single property in HKG (Conrad) which can be very expensive at times, and since there is no other choice, it's going to be a choice between huge cost and forgoing QS/QN/benefits
    - Have heard that their BRG is somewhat useless due to too many restrictions (and no points option for reward)

Hyatt
    Hyatt didn't really blip in my radar very much until recently, when I learned of their Diamond SC. But due to the following factors, it is potentially very interesting:

* 12 nights in 60 days
    * Diamond given during the challenge, and suite upgrades available for use immediately
    * Status will last until Feb 2013, apparently, for challenges in H1 (2014 for H2)

+ I like the hotels a lot, especially the PHs which are exactly to my tastes in terms of the philosophy and interior design (although lounges would be very appreciated in the "you want my arm and a leg for a pint of beer and some snacks?" cities such as northern Europe and Switzerland)
    + 12 nights is very doable in 60 days, especially when one has a "burst" of 8-9 nights in just one week, which only leaves 3-4 more nights to finish in the remaining time
    + Diamond upgrades very generous, and also available during the challenge period
    + Confirmable suite upgrades seem to be a good option vs. gambling each time against properties that have very stingy exercise of discretion
    + Very generous (as far as I'm concerned) promo right now, where I would basically get 3 nights at the very top end Park Hyatts where I would never dream of paying the going rate by staying 4 nights more than the SC requirement

- Really iffy coverage (No properties in KL? Almost non-existent network in Europe?)
    - Non-US Hyatts generally tend to cost a lot more than the budget counterparts in SPG or HH (i.e. GH BKK the only option in BKK, which costs about 4x the FP or Aloft, unless a certain SQTalker is willing to help out in that particular regard )
    - Status will only last till Feb 2013. Not entirely sure whether I'll make 25 QS, especially with the lack of budget options

==============

My dilemma arises from the fact that I will generally only be able to make one top tier's worth of stays in any given year, if that. 25 QSs in SPG or HH wouldn't be nearly as much effort/cost as 25QS in Hyatt, which tips things in favour of SPG or HH especially given their extensive network.

However, given that I am also unlikely to travel that much after this year (when I'm tied down to my desk and only likely to travel a few times), I'm thinking that it might actually be better to do the Hyatt, have a whale of a time with the Diamond this year, get the free nights at the Park Hyatts, and then abandon the status game from next year (save for, perhaps, the HH Gold) and concentrate on the best properties regardless of chain, especially if I end up only staying 10-15 nights per year in hotels which makes it cheaper to pay for the better rooms vs. doing status runs etc.

So, a very long winded and extensive post. As I mentioned above, all thoughts/opinions/advice welcome!

Originally posted by stargold View Post
    However, given that I am also unlikely to travel that much after this year (when I'm tied down to my desk and only likely to travel a few times)
    Come on - it's not that bad! Probably shorter hours than working at (e.g.) a Korean firm!

Assuming you need to top up your stays, London now has an Aloft at ExCeL (like a barebones W from my one stay there last year) and of course the two Sheratons at LHR.

Don't forget that if you have a UK Amex plat chargecard, then you get SPG gold as standard (along with two unlimited Priority Passes etc). I could survive just on that really given that I think the 4pm checkout is for me the most valuable SPG gold/plat benefit (followed by the free Internet for plats). It remains to be seen how SPG plat upgrades will be affected by the recently announced changes.

Hyatt do have some really nice PHs around Europe, e.g. Istanbul (fabulous hotel and service; shame about the location), Milan (literally just steps away from the Duomo) and Paris (have not stayed in this one). The Hyatt locations in Tokyo (Roppongi Hills and Shinjuku) are also much better than the SPG ones (Ebisu and Shirokanedai); and Hong Kong too.

I'm not sure but I recall reading whinging from Hilton diamonds that there's little point in having that over gold nowadays ?

when one has a "burst" of 8-9 nights in just one week
    How do you manage that ? My week only has 7 nights!

Comment

I can't say much about Hilton as I've only experienced Gold there, but I've been SPG Plat for four years and Hyatt Diamond for about a year. IMO the guaranteed 4pm checkout for SPG Golds and Plats is wonderful and this you would have during the challenge. If you're currently Gold, you also get the new benefit of welcome points, a drink, or free Internet. The huge negative to SPG would be the March 1 changes to their program, specifically the four tiers of Plat which will really reduce suite upgrades for those who do not do 50 nights per year. However, to date I generally get better suites with Starwood as the Hyatt confirmed suites book into junior suites rather than genuine one bedroom suites at almost all properties, although further upgrades can happen. Remember that SPG has W, LC and LM as well as StR.

Comment

Go full steam ahead for SPG, hold HH Gold (very easy to maintain 4 stays, and practically given away for free).

As you're in Asia, Hyatt seems pretty pointless with a higher buy-in room rate to begin with at most locations compared to SPG.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          Come on - it's not that bad! Probably shorter hours than working at (e.g.) a Korean firm!
          True. Not a big fan of 2:30am finishes! Having said all that, it looks like I'll be there for about two months longer so there may yet be plenty more of those long late nights.
          Assuming you need to top up your stays, London now has an Aloft at ExCeL (like a barebones W from my one stay there last year) and of course the two Sheratons at LHR.
          Aloft is definitely one of the bright spots as far as cheap mattress runs are concerned - I can't believe you actually get QS at the Aloft in BKK, for example, at a whopping great cost of US$70 per night.
          Don't forget that if you have a UK Amex plat chargecard, then you get SPG gold as standard (along with two unlimited Priority Passes etc). I could survive just on that really given that I think the 4pm checkout is for me the most valuable SPG gold/plat benefit (followed by the free Internet for plats). It remains to be seen how SPG plat upgrades will be affected by the recently announced changes.
          I haven't actually stayed anywhere since making Gold yet (I got it just by enquiring about a Plat challenge on the online chat support) but I would be a lot more convinced to go for SPG if I got Plat benefits during the challenge. On the other hand, it might still be worth the effort as the Plat will last until Feb 2014 and it won't be too much trouble making the 25QS.
          Hyatt do have some really nice PHs around Europe, e.g. Istanbul (fabulous hotel and service; shame about the location), Milan (literally just steps away from the Duomo) and Paris (have not stayed in this one). The Hyatt locations in Tokyo (Roppongi Hills and Shinjuku) are also much better than the SPG ones (Ebisu and Shirokanedai); and Hong Kong too.
          Yes, and about 2x as expensive as the Starwood or Hilton options!
          I'm not sure but I recall reading whinging from Hilton diamonds that there's little point in having that over gold nowadays ?
          I guess mainly because their Gold is so much better than other chains... Kyo's advice is probably what I will end up doing.
          How do you manage that ? My week only has 7 nights!
          Somehow, I knew you would very kindly point it out - I meant a week's holiday which means Friday till next Sunday.
          Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
          I can't say much about Hilton as I've only experienced Gold there, but I've been SPG Plat for four years and Hyatt Diamond for about a year. IMO the guaranteed 4pm checkout for SPG Golds and Plats is wonderful and this you would have during the challenge. If you're currently Gold, you also get the new benefit of welcome points, a drink, or free Internet. The huge negative to SPG would be the March 1 changes to their program, specifically the four tiers of Plat which will really reduce suite upgrades for those who do not do 50 nights per year. However, to date I generally get better suites with Starwood as the Hyatt confirmed suites book into junior suites rather than genuine one bedroom suites at almost all properties, although further upgrades can happen. Remember that SPG has W, LC and LM as well as StR.
          I'm not as bothered about suites as I would be about things like breakfast and exec lounge access - I actually find it a little disconcerting when a room is too big! Much prefer a well thought out layout and high quality furnishings over massive spaces.
          Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          Go full steam ahead for SPG, hold HH Gold (very easy to maintain 4 stays, and practically given away for free).
          This is true - I got mine before staying at a Hilton for the first time in about 10 years!

Was hoping to make a start on the SPG SC in SE Asia at the end of March for a very special event but it looks like I will only be able to stay for 3-4 nights even if I can make it, which means I probably shouldn't begin the challenge till later in the year when I have a lot more travel planned.
          As you're in Asia, Hyatt seems pretty pointless with a higher buy-in room rate to begin with at most locations compared to SPG.
          You're right, it would actually work out cheaper simply to book a higher category room at SPG compared to base rate PHs and GHs most of the time. Still, I have yet to find anywhere with the same exacting standards of design and furnishing as many of the PHs.

I guess the sensible thing to do is what Kyo suggested - Hyatt sounds really nice, but I can't see it working out in the long term... at least not until my salary has one more zero at the end, whenever that may be!

Comment

As someone who has top tier status in all three programmes, I would go for Starwood, without hesitation.

Comment

Can I get into the Hyatt challenge after I completed 12 nights in 60 days?

Comment

I know it might not align with your requirements/stay patterns, but you might want to consider IC Royal Ambassador status? Buy your way into the top tier through a referral certificate on eBay for probably less than the cost of the challenge nights proposed above. For what it's worth, this also gives you PC Platinum. I miss the days of being RA, although my IC stays are generally limited these days (apart from 15 in a row over the next month!)

Comment

Totally missed this thread.

Are you sure these are all NIGHTS and not STAYS?

Starwood
                  * 18 nights in 90 days is A LOT!
                  * No Plat given during the challenge (although I'm gold, FWIW)

This blows!

* Are you sure status is until 2014?

+ Generous upgrades including suites

This does not happen at all properties.

+ Best rate guarantee program generous in both the number of points and ease of approval

Getting them to honor this when you find a lower rate can be challenging.

- The target clientele/interior design of the top end (St. Regis etc) seems to be aimed at people roughly 30 years older than me

This totally depends on the SR!

- The burn rate is pretty bad on SPG

Hilton's 21 Nights is quite rough! Their burn rate is the worst of the three.

Hyatt

+ With the current promo, you effectively will get 30,000 bonus points.
                  + Burn is the lowest of all programs (22k for their Top Tier).
                  + 4pm Guaranteed Checkout

The GH Seoul isn't THAT expensive…and I think the HR at ICN is even less.

If you book them as STAYS, another 13 won't be hard to do before year end.

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
                  ...the Hyatt confirmed suites book into junior suites rather than genuine one bedroom suites at almost all properties...
                  In my experience, this is the opposite. In the many years I've used the upgrades, only one property (the HR in Chicago) popped me in a Junior Suite because their next level up is a HUGE upgrade -- but even then, they gave it to me upon checkin.

...given that I am also unlikely to travel that much after this year (when I'm tied down to my desk and only likely to travel a few times), I'm thinking that it might actually be better to do the Hyatt, have a whale of a time with the Diamond this year, get the free nights at the Park Hyatts...
                  I think you've answered your own question.

But being as objective as possible, with the recent changes to SPG, it's really a tossup as to what works best for you. SPG appears to have made it more difficult to get its newly toted benefits. Hilton is nice, but their burn rate sucks.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    Hyatt

+ With the current promo, you effectively will get 30,000 bonus points.
                    + Burn is the lowest of all programs (22k for their Top Tier).
                    + 4pm Guaranteed Checkout
                    Link to said promo?

Comment

Working...
                    X