X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jjpb3,

Alas, no

Comment

• Well it looks like the red shirts are going to get in...

The thing that strikes me as strange is that, despite likely being able to form an outright majority government, they're talking with the Chartthaipattana Party to form a coalition government...

According to a poll by the Bangkok Post, 57.8% think there'll be a fresh round of violence...

Australian and British embassies have issued travel advisory warnings about travelling to Thailand...

Interesting times ahead me thinks...

Comment

• the 'interesting times' have been going for decades.... and it appears there is no end in sight
        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• What's the best website for getting the latest news out of BKK? Bangkok Post has been hanging for quite a few hours now.
          HUGE AL

Comment

• Not sure if its the best, but out of the usual suspects, CNN seems to have a pretty good update of what's going on..

Comment

• tried nationmultimedia.com?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                Not sure if its the best, but out of the usual suspects, CNN seems to have a pretty good update of what's going on..
                The "usual suspects" here in the USA really don't provide detailed/up to date coverage. SE Asia is almost always buried. Last year, we were getting the news out of Al Jazeera!

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                tried nationmultimedia.com?
                Forgot about The Nation. Thanks.
                HUGE AL

Comment

• I tend to read Bangkok Post (having to be patient as the site is slow), the BBC and CNN when not in Thailand. I do read The Nation when in Thailand or flying TG, but I have to say some of their articles are bordering on hilarious at times.

As for the result itself, well, it couldn't have been much more emphatic if you consider how 'up against it' Pheu Thai/Yingluck/Thaksin/the reds etc have been with the media bias with TV stations, websites and newspapers being closed down in the recent times and army's attempt (disastrous, as it turned out) to interfere with warnings and threats. I find the fact that people basically ignored Prayuth's blatant attempt to influence the election very encouraging. It probably even pushed people the other way.

Sadly, as sqdazz and others have said, Thailand is a long way from being over it's troubles, even though the people have clearly shown in three or four consecutive elections now who they want in charge at the moment. If some people from certain factions would accept these democratic decisions, the country may have half a chance of moving on.

I think (and hope) the army may well be realising that they have made a complete mess of the last five years, so hopefully this will make them think it's better to stay out of politics. Unfortunately, such is the ego of some of them I can't see that happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    I tend to read Bangkok Post (having to be patient as the site is slow), the BBC and CNN when not in Thailand. I do read The Nation when in Thailand or flying TG, but I have to say some of their articles are bordering on hilarious at times.
                    Thanks, MAN Flyer. Bangkok Post is CRAZY SLOW here in the USA.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

• This report I think highlights how far Thailand has to go before any sort of stability can be reached

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...c=Worldupdates

Comment

• Was in BKK over the weekend and things were fairly normal. Same cannot be said about KUL, where I was the day before...

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                          Was in BKK over the weekend and things were fairly normal. Same cannot be said about KUL, where I was the day before...
                          KUL was a mess for a short time on Saturday! But nothing too ghastly. Phuket the last two days was well..... Business a usual! You want tuk tuk Madame ? Massage?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl
                            Phuket the last two days was well..... Business a usual! You want tuk tuk Madame ? Massage?
                            So... Business, as usual

Comment

• As expected the People Against Democracy (Yellow Shirts) didn't take long to spring up and start trying to spoil things, again. They are going to court to get them to nulify/cancel the result, claiming some of them were unable to cast their vote. Bearing in mind these people don't want elections to take place, and indeed called for a boycott of it (impressively ignored by nearly everybody), they irony of a claim of being unable to vote will be completely lost on them.

With it being quite clear which side the courts always go in these things, it wouldn't surprise me if they were stupid enough to allow this and set everyone back to square one.

Both sides are also trying to get the other party declared illegal/accused of bribes/vote rigging/cheating etc..etc...etc. I think the people of Thailand had better batten down for years of all this nonsense.

Comment

• I dont know why you even bother keeping up with it anymore MAN Flyer. I got sick of it a long time back. Third world country forever, thats it. The cheap beach holiday goers will be happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X