No announcement yet.

State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know those who visit regularly will already know but just a reminder that the first of successive alcohol free weekends starts this weekend in the build up to the election. I always have to smile at the policy of one of the most corrupt countries around bans alcohol to 'avoid people being swayed which way to vote by being bought a drink', or words to that effect.

According to the polls the two main parties are almost neck and neck, but I cannot see any way the army will allow Thaksin's sister to form a government. General Motor Mouth has already been issuing veiled threats and this week Thailand pulled out of the World Heritage Council, a move 'applauded' by the General himself. The fact that he will have dictated that himself did not get reported in so many words.

Shortly following this the General announced they were strengthening forces on the border with Cambodia, which also gives him a nice little excuse (although it's that blatant its embarassing...) if Yingluck were to somehow win. You can see a mile off were this is going if things don't go to his liking, all to 'protect the monarchy' of course....

One to watch...

Comment

• Well yeah the situation is worrying.... This thing will never end. I do not know if I should postpone my end July trip to BKK.

Many say Yinluck will win and but then there may be "something" to bring her down.... May be another street protest?
      visit my blog

Comment

• They actually started the alcohol free weekends last weekend as they had some sort of election practice.

. seems like Yinluck Thaksin will win the most votes but will probably have to form a coalition to form a government and she has alienated most of the other parties so may well struggle to do so.

I am in Bangkok now and all is peaceful. Probably will be no issues until the results come out in a couple of weeks. I have to say I was quite surprised my company has reinstated a meeting in the middle of July in Bangkok which they had previously postponed due to security concerns.

Comment

• Wifey is suggesting a shopping trip to Bangkok on the 22nd July weekend..... wonder if it would be safe....
          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• I'll be there on the 15-17th, but to be frank, not the best place to hold meetings at the moment, Lobster

Comment

• I'm in Phuket with family from 12-17 July. Do you think there will be any issues here (as opposed to Bangkok)? Flying in / out on MH from Kul.

Comment

• I watched an interview with the Bangkok Post reporter and Yinluck a few days back, there's going to be some interesting times ahead for Thailand...

The feeling amongst my friends in BKK is that if she gets in, then the country is going to be in for a whole lot of hurt... She doesn't appear to have any policies other than to eradicate drugs and drug abuse in Thailand and to get her brother back in the big chair (but that's not really a policy statement, moreso what's expected to happen)...

Interesting few months ahead...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                  The feeling amongst my friends in BKK is that if she gets in, then the country is going to be in for a whole lot of hurt... She doesn't appear to have any policies other than to eradicate drugs and drug abuse in Thailand and to get her brother back in the big chair (but that's not really a policy statement, moreso what's expected to happen)...

Interesting few months ahead...
                  Indeed, and if she does win it will underline the continuing popularity of Thaksin himself, which will wind the Yellow Shirts and Green shirt(s) up even more.

Comment

• Yellow and pink and green and Orange and purple and blue... I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow too...

Oh, sorry, we're talking about Thai politics and not nursery rhymes... Where is my head at this morning... Gosh...

Comment

• I'll be in Thailand in 1,3,4 and 5 weeks from now......... frankly, this whole crisis is a non-issue for me anymore Sawasdee Kaa everyone !

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        I'll be in Thailand in 1,3,4 and 5 weeks from now......... frankly, this whole crisis is a non-issue for me anymore Sawasdee Kaa everyone !
                        Chock dee krap.....
                        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• There is no point asking if it will be ok on such and such a date, nobody knows.
                          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Shared a conversation with a couple from BKK. 'Keep on trucking' they said. Cant wait to stay at IC BKK again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                              Yellow and pink and green and Orange and purple and blue... I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow too...

Oh, sorry, we're talking about Thai politics and not nursery rhymes... Where is my head at this morning... Gosh...
                              Any chance you were imbibing at the Asiana IC too?
                              Last edited by jjpb3; 3 July 2011, 03:15 AM.
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                                Any chance you were imbibing at the Asiana IC too?
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X