Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best prepaid sim for Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best prepaid sim for Europe?

Hi,

I am traveling to Spain & Portugal (via Frankfurt as a transit stop). Just been doing some research and I'm getting quite some mixed results.

I'm mostly leaning on Orange which has the prepaid sim card that'll work in all of Europe. However, anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, if it helps, I will be landing at Barcelona Airport on 12/24, leaving Madrid on 1/2. Would Barcelona airport have a kiosk or a facility where we can actually order the sim card online & pick it up before we leave the airport? That facility was there in Dubai, but not sure how it works in Europe.

Hi SQfanatic! It is quite easy to buy a prepaid data SIM card in Spain (It should be in Portugal as well). In Barcelona, you can buy the SIM on the spot in the airport, but there are also stores in the city. I think most of the large telcos there would be ok, although I personally used Vodafone SIM cards when I was there.

On the other hand, from other travellers, eSIMs are also becoming popular for international travel.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
      Hi SQfanatic! It is quite easy to buy a prepaid data SIM card in Spain (It should be in Portugal as well). In Barcelona, you can buy the SIM on the spot in the airport, but there are also stores in the city. I think most of the large telcos there would be ok, although I personally used Vodafone SIM cards when I was there.

On the other hand, from other travellers, eSIMs are also becoming popular for international travel.
      Great to know yflyer.

We ordered the Orange sim from Amazon, just got it activated last weekend itself. I hope it'll work when I land in Europe on Christmas Eve. If for some reason, it doesn't work in Germany or Spain, we will get one from the kiosk in Barcelona when we land in the afternoon time. One thing I found is it doesn't work in the UK, but we are not touching UK this time.

I have one more question, suppose in the future I decide to go to Europe (i.e. Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy), can I keep the current sim and actually recharge it for a later trip?

The reason being that in India, we have local sim cards from Airtel and we've recharged the pack before going there and after we get there, it works.

Comment

Working...
      X