Die, die, must try! -- Eating outside Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an update on my few favourite eating places in London:

* Sushi Tetsu in Clerkenwell (mentioned above) - opened last year and clearly the best sushi in London (possibly Europe so I'm told). The 7 seats are booked out 2 months in advance, e.g. they will take reservations on 1 April for the month of June and most/all slots that month will no doubt go in a few hours. (The only possible challenge to Sushi Tetsu may be Araki which is a 3-Michelin star sushi bar in Tokyo (I've not been) which is planning to move entirely to London (!) and open sometime this year. I heard that they plan to fly in all of their fish from Japan which will no doubt mean somewhat hefty pricing.)

* The Shiori in a side street in Bayswater - opened in December, Kyoto kaiseki, rave reviews from newspapers, e.g. 5 stars from Fay Maschler in the Evening Standard (one of only 4 restaurants she's given that to in 20+ years) and the latest yesterday in the Guardian.

* Hedone in Chiswick (SW London) - I think they have the best seafood in London. Opened in 2011 by a Swedish ex-lawyer with no previous professional kitchen experience (although he has eaten widely) and he managed to get a Michelin star within one year of opening. He's obsessed with getting the best ingredients and the dishes highlight that, e.g. a dish of some slices of Cévennes onions with a few pear shavings. Some people just don't get the food there but others do and rave about it. It's still a work in progress - the chef says he still has many areas for improvement. He wrote a well respected blog which he's just revived:

It was hard to decide whether we deserved all the good reviews since I did not know when most of the critics had been. We were shit some nights but doing pretty good food some nights. It was a struggle getting good enough produce on a daily basis and to find kitchen staff, me having no real connections in the British trade and no kitchen track record when we started. Sometimes I was dead tired and I could work for days with a constant headache.
    * The Quality Chop House in Farringdon - this opened in 1869, has gone through various owners and guises (including the last one as a meatball joint) but reopened last December under new co-owners (one of them is the son of the FT's wine critic (mum) and the FT's food critic (dad) and the other was ex-GM of Heston Blumenthal's Dinner and the niece of the owner of a well known London/HK fine wine wholesaler, Farr Vintners). The decor is the original one including narrow tables and hard wooden benches (now with padding thankfully!) - it's listed, i.e. protected by law and can't be removed/changed. The food is modern British - the dining room only has a daily changing evening menu of 4 set courses for £35 and that's it; and there's a bar menu next door. The wine list is really interesting such as a 1944 Rivesaltes available by the glass (only about £10 so well worth enjoying). They usually on Monday evenings open a bottle of something special and sell it by the glass to whoever is interested, e.g. like this one. Plaudits from various newspaper critics, e.g. the Independent:

the Quality Chop House is probably best suited for people who really care about what they eat and drink, and want to do it in the company of others who feel the same. This isn't the place to come and order a Diet Coke or a glass of pinot grigio, and the no-choice dinner option isn't going to suit the faddy. But the charm, and the general sense of ease and generosity make it the perfect synthesis of the ancient and the modern. It may not be strong on comfort, but the whole place is an absolute joy.
    Last edited by jhm; 10 March 2013, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• I stumbled upon a great new Italian macelleria in South Kensington last month.

Maxela (http://www.maxela.co.uk), opened recently, is the first UK branch of the Italian chain (http://www.maxela.it/inglese/index.htm).

Comment

• Thanks - will keep that in mind if Tesco runs out of horsemeat!

Comment

• Thanks for the update.

I was in London over CNY and rediscovered Kam Tong along Queensway.

We were attracted by the £18 lobster noodle (whole lobster!)

but the roast duck was outstanding. Not too oily and deboned on request.

Egg tart also good.

Had early dinner one night at Barrafina before watching Les Miserables.

Excellent too but no bookings. We were the first in at 5pm!!

Les Deux Salon was also nice for classic French dining

Comment

• I really like Barrafina too (the tortilla is one of the best I've had - semi-liquid egg oozing out when it's cut) but I hate the no reservations policy (eat very early or very late or be prepared to wait a long time). Otherwise, I like Cigala in Bloomsbury - the food is nowhere as good as Barrafina but on a summer evening it's a nice part of London.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
              I was in London over CNY and rediscovered Kam Tong along Queensway.

We were attracted by the £18 lobster noodle (whole lobster!)

but the roast duck was outstanding. Not too oily and deboned on request.
              Would you say the roast duck/pork at Kam Tong is better than Four Seasons and Gold Mine?

Comment

• Originally posted by eriond View Post
                Would you say the roast duck/pork at Kam Tong is better than Four Seasons and Gold Mine?
                I used to go religiously to Four Seasons for roast meat (and Royal China for dim sum), but some SQ girls on a recent flight told me that Gold Mine was much better - one SQ guy said it was the thing he most looked forward to when flying to LHR!

Apparently they do a special price set meal with a selection of meats for tables of SQ crews, so maybe you could try asking for that next time you're there!

Comment

• Originally posted by eriond View Post
                  Depends on whether you like lots of fat or not.

Roast duck at Kam Tong, on that day, was perfect.

Four Seasons & Gold Mine duck can be great or disappointing depending I guess on who's cooking the duck that day!

Comment

• Originally posted by kt74 View Post
                    I used to go religiously to Four Seasons for roast meat (and Royal China for dim sum), but some SQ girls on a recent flight told me that Gold Mine was much better - one SQ guy said it was the thing he most looked forward to when flying to LHR!
                    The guy at Gold Mine used to work at Four Seasons and I believe most crew go there now.

Comment

• Betty's tea rooms in Yorkshire are an absolute delight the two in York aren't so good. the one in Harrogate is the original and less touristy. love their fat rascal, afternoon tea with clotted cream and eggs benedict. they are the same company that make Yorkshire Tea, the ones in tesco

Comment

• Last summer, there was a pop-up BBQ place which I and many others (including lots of chefs on their day off) loved. It was weekends only and located outside in the yard of a coffee roastery in East London. Run by an Aussie, Dave Pynt - ex St John Bread & Wine, ex Etxebarri amongst others - with two very large brick ovens he had built to his own specifications. A blackboard menu with the best produce available then (e.g. rare breed beef, suckling pig, lamb, scallops, bone marrow, vegetables etc) and items crossed off as they sold out. Sunshine, beer/wine and some music. It was awesome and I went many times. Some pics here (not from me):

http://bellaphon.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/burnt-enz.html
                        http://gourmettraveller.wordpress.co.../22/burnt-enz/

Burnt Enz closed down and everyone was sad and looking forward to this summer when Dave (off around the world travelling) would hopefully come back and start it up again.

However, the news now is that he's going to start up permanently (indoors) in ... Singapore! Singapore's gain is London's loss (although Dave has mentioned that he's looking to do a few events in London in summer so all is not lost here):

http://twitter.com/BurntEnz

(pics on Twitter of the ovens being built now)
                        Last edited by jhm; 27 March 2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                          I stumbled upon a great new Italian macelleria in South Kensington last month.

Maxela (http://www.maxela.co.uk), opened recently, is the first UK branch of the Italian chain (http://www.maxela.it/inglese/index.htm).
                          I just came across a great review of this place in a newspaper!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...taurant-review

The frontage of this small restaurant deviates from its neighbours quite dramatically. There's no menu, no decoration, no view into the interior. Instead, it looks a bit like Leatherface's larder, with massive chunks of meat lolling on the floor or dangling from hooks, and nothing to soften the impact of so much dead animal. It might as well be subtitled, "Up yours, vegetarians!"

[...]

Maxelâ's USP is imported Fassone beef: Piedmontese cattle with almost magical properties. The menu says it's "proven to lower cholesterol". Yeah, right. So I do some digging and the truth is quite remarkable: a rogue gene gives the animal a rare condition known as "double-muscling", delivering meat that's low in fat, low in cholesterol (lower even than chicken or salmon) and high in beneficial fatty acids. But the most bizarre thing is that it cooks like the most fat-laced, marbled, high-cholesterol, evil badass steak on the planet: tender, smoky, juicy, bloody lovely stuff. I resolve to become a millionaire, so I can eat nothing else. Expensive? Well, of course it is.

Comment

• The Holy Grail of Beef!

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                              However, the news now is that he's going to start up permanently (indoors) in ... Singapore!
                              Opening tomorrow for the lucky people in Singapore!

www.soshiok.com/critic/article/24035

(No connection here with the restaurant apart from eating at BurntEnz in London many times and thinking it was awesome (I think phaleesy agrees too). Dave's also a really nice guy.)

Comment

• My London recommendations

Maxela.
                                Thanks for the heads up milehighj

Burger&Lobster
                                Drinks menu only cos you can only have lobster or burger for £20

Dehesa
                                Tapas bar behind Hamleys. Literally. Prefer it to Barrafina!
                                Last edited by 9V-SIA; 30 May 2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X