Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for a 4D/3N HK trip (HK, restaurant, itinerary, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a 4D/3N HK trip (HK, restaurant, itinerary, etc)

Dear all,

I am a newbie here (a lurker, previously) so please be so kind

Hubby and I are going for a short trip in HK in early November, so would like a recommendation on hotel, restaurant etc.

The last time I was in HK was like 8 years ago, and for my husband this will be his first trip there.

Our budget for hotel/apartment isn't a lot, approx €150/night and it's preferably close to MTR station, with a good view.

I am considering the following places:
    * The Jervois
    * 21 Whitfield
    * 99 Bonham (the top floor)
    * Crowne Plaza Kowloon East

Anyone has tried any of these?

For restaurant, I have booked L'atelier de Joel Robuchon for dinner, and will most likely queue for Tim Ho ***'s dimsum...

Any other recommendation is welcome...

Thanking you all in advance.

if i am to recommend, Harbour Plaza Metropolis: linked to Hung Hom MTR via a shopping mall, which has a supermarket. While walking distance to TST, i find this place slightly quieter than hotels in TST. View wise, there are rooms overlooking HK island across the sea.

Comment

First, welcome to SQT, schumaster!

Originally posted by schumaster View Post
      Our budget for hotel/apartment isn't a lot, approx €150/night and it's preferably close to MTR station, with a good view.

I am considering the following places:
      * The Jervois
      * 21 Whitfield
      * 99 Bonham (the top floor)
      * Crowne Plaza Kowloon East

Anyone has tried any of these?
      I haven't tried any of those but you might also consider the Holiday Inn Express Soho which I'm told you can get for just GBP 65/per night (after you take into account the cost of buying the points):

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress...sh/hoteldetail

For restaurant, I have booked L'atelier de Joel Robuchon for dinner
      I ate there last year (the Le Jardin part of the restaurant) and whilst my tastes may be different, I didn't find it that good nor worth what I paid. Plus you also have the point that you will be in Hong Kong and there are many L'atelier around the world so you might want to try something else. Here are some food ideas:

Hutong
      http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthre...=7754#post7754
      The view from here is really good. There's a branch opening in London later this month.

Xi Yan Private Dining
      http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=284
      More posh Chinese food but at a price which won't break the bank. When this place first opened years ago, it had a waiting list of many months.

Maxim's City Hall
      http://hk.asia-city.com/restaurants/...lace-city-hall
      A vast place for trolley dimsum

Tsui Wah
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cha_chaan_teng
      http://www.hiphongkong.com/eat/resta...wah_restaurant
      A very well known "cha chaan teng" (Chinese tea restaurant). Essential to visit if you want to get a feel for where locals eat / Hong Kong culture. It's the HK version of an American diner. They serve a mix of Chinese and western food, e.g. wonton noodles, French toast, instant noodles with ham, sandwiches, BBQ meat and rice etc. Tsui Wah is open 24-hours a day, 7 days a week and a Hong Kong institution.

Enjoy your trip to Hong Kong!

Comment

Good advice, thank you!

Have you tried Tim Ho ***? I am curious but so far reviews are mixed

Comment

Good advice, thank you!

Have you tried Tim Ho ***? I am curious but so far reviews are mixed
          I haven't tried Tim Ho Wan and I'm not sure I would be in a hurry to do so (the long queues etc). I think it's famous because it has a Michelin star and it's very cheap - not because it's the best dimsum in Hong Kong. In other words, you can get better (or similar) elsewhere in Hong Kong provided you're happy to pay (not much more in the grand scheme of things).

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
            if i am to recommend, Harbour Plaza Metropolis: linked to Hung Hom MTR via a shopping mall, which has a supermarket. While walking distance to TST, i find this place slightly quieter than hotels in TST. View wise, there are rooms overlooking HK island across the sea.
            I shall check this one out shortly...thank you!

Comment

Restaurants:
              Pearl on the Peak - the food and views are worth the hike, get a window seat with views of the harbour
              Spoon by Alain Ducasse
              Aqua
              Sevva - super trendy place for high tea

Loved L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in Tokyo but haven't been to the one in Honkers so unsure if it's as amazing.

Bars:
              Le Boudoir - awesome cocktails
              001 - great speakeasy

Hotel:
              Where else? May not be in your budget however in which case Mira is also pretty cool and interesting.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 June 2013, 05:35 PM.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                Restaurants:
                Pearl on the Peak - the food and views are worth the hike, get a window seat with views of the harbour
                Spoon by Alain Ducasse
                Aqua
                Sevva - super trendy place for high tea

Loved L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in Tokyo but haven't been to the one in Honkers so unsure if it's as amazing.

Bars:
                Le Boudoir - awesome cocktails
                001 - great speakeasy

Hotel:
                Where else? May not be in your budget however in which case Mira is also pretty cool and interesting.
                Keith, thanks!

I noticed that pricewise, Michelin starred restaurants are much cheaper than in Europe though alcohol price is usually exorbitant....

Is it too late to cancel the Joel Robuchon one? I didn't give my credit card details yet....

I have yet to stay at W, we usually stay in Sheraton or Conrad, but this time budget is a bit tight

Comment

Hi - I lived in HK for a while recently perhaps I can share with you a couple of thoughts:

Tim Ho *** - The queues are definitely long but actually, if you go to the branch at the IFC (the floor just above the airport express station), you can order a takeaway and it will be ready for you in about 10-15 minutes (I've never had to wait longer than that). Just go to the counter and ask for an English language takeaway slip and ask the counter person to tell you what your takeaway number is in Cantonese. It's something like "T11" or "T33".

You can then take the takeaway to the roof terrace of IFC and eat it there. While food is very much a personal taste, I find their roast pork buns very nice.

Other restaurants:

Gastronomy Extraordinaire - http://www.gedining.com/ - the chef is from El Bulli and Fat Duck, and I had a very good experience all round when I ate there. It flies under the radar but I strongly recommend it.

Pierre - http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hong...dining/pierre/ - Of all the "branded" French restaurants I've dined at in Hong Kong, this one in my view is the best one.

But for a real treat, do try http://www.ottoemezzobombana.com/ - It's italian.

Comment

Is it too late to cancel the Joel Robuchon one? I didn't give my credit card details yet....
                    Why would it be too late? Did they specify a timeframe for cancellation? As you've not provided credit card details I think you'd be right, though as a courtesy it might not be ideal cancelling at the last minute.

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that l'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in Hong Kong is a poor choice - I simply haven't been there. I had a great time at the one in Tokyo as mentioned, for what it's worth.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

QUOTE=KeithMEL;176974]Why would it be too late? Did they specify a timeframe for cancellation? As you've not provided credit card details I think you'd be right, though as a courtesy it might not be ideal cancelling at the last minute.

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that l'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in Hong Kong is a poor choice. For what it's worth, the one in Tokyo is truly amazing - I just haven't been to the one in Hong Kong.[/QUOTE]

hehehe....I know!

I saw that the reviews are quite mixed for the one in HK, and a significant number of people seemed to think that it's not worth the money.

I checked their pricing and to me it seemed ok, lower than expected and I wouldn't mind paying if the quality is good.

What I found rather disappointing was when I mentioned my dietary requirements (or rather ingredients that I'd prefer to NOT eat), they suggested me to order a la carte

Over here, Michelin restaurants wouldn't mind adjusting the set based on your preference...

I still think that their alcohol pricing over there is absurd, as over here 3 stars restaurants charge between €10-€12/glass (already expensive)

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                        Hi - I lived in HK for a while recently perhaps I can share with you a couple of thoughts:

Tim Ho *** - The queues are definitely long but actually, if you go to the branch at the IFC (the floor just above the airport express station), you can order a takeaway and it will be ready for you in about 10-15 minutes (I've never had to wait longer than that). Just go to the counter and ask for an English language takeaway slip and ask the counter person to tell you what your takeaway number is in Cantonese. It's something like "T11" or "T33".

You can then take the takeaway to the roof terrace of IFC and eat it there. While food is very much a personal taste, I find their roast pork buns very nice.

Other restaurants:

Gastronomy Extraordinaire - http://www.gedining.com/ - the chef is from El Bulli and Fat Duck, and I had a very good experience all round when I ate there. It flies under the radar but I strongly recommend it.

Pierre - http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hong...dining/pierre/ - Of all the "branded" French restaurants I've dined at in Hong Kong, this one in my view is the best one.

But for a real treat, do try http://www.ottoemezzobombana.com/ - It's italian.
                        Good tips there, thank you!

I will def check this branch out if the q time is less than the other branches

Now I'm really curious with your recommendation, as I haven't had the chance to eat at El Bulli before they shut down

Comment

QUOTE=KeithMEL;176974]

hehehe....I know!

I saw that the reviews are quite mixed for the one in HK, and a significant number of people seemed to think that it's not worth the money.

I checked their pricing and to me it seemed ok, lower than expected and I wouldn't mind paying if the quality is good.

What I found rather disappointing was when I mentioned my dietary requirements (or rather ingredients that I'd prefer to NOT eat), they suggested me to order a la carte

Over here, Michelin restaurants wouldn't mind adjusting the set based on your preference...:
                          Oh how annoying. Agree, not a Michelin starred experience at all.

And I guess I should have read the entire thread prior to responding as I now see that jhm has already given the same place a thumbs down.

Comment

Ohhh Keith, what a let down....I have a friend living in SG who swore by L'atelier...

As much as I like fine dining, taste is still everything, not just pretty presentation etc...ahemmmm

Comment

Why would one go all the way HKG to eat non-local food?

There are so many tiny eateries serving such fantastic local food... I dont even eat brekkie in the hotel when there.

I recommend hotels in Causeway Bay area. Plenty of good food there too.... You do know Kowloon is the 'dirty side'....

Comment

Working...
                              X