Tips for travelling to London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for travelling to London

I'm planning a solo trip to London towards end of this year. Was just wondering if its a safe place to travel alone. Any tips that anyone can give me on traveling alone to London? What to watch out for etc.. And how are chinese males treated there (ie any racist people etc).

Originally posted by danzer View Post
    I'm planning a solo trip to London towards end of this year. Was just wondering if its a safe place to travel alone. Any tips that anyone can give me on traveling alone to London? What to watch out for etc.. And how are chinese males treated there (ie any racist people etc).
    Danzer, London is truly a very metropolitan city and very tourist friendly. It is relatively safe if you stay around the city area. The most unsafe area I felt was visiting a friend in East London between the city and the new Olympic village but on the whole, I really don't have any issues with safety even late in the evening. Last caveat: don't wear an Arsenal t-shirt into a Totties or Chelsea pub or vice versa!

Comment

The inner city is very safe, you wont have any issues. Im there fairly often. In fact will be there in the morning, getting the train from Manchester.

Comment

I'm planning a solo trip to London towards end of ....... Any tips that anyone can give me on traveling alone to London? .
        Tips......? Yes, bring money and plenty too, its an expensive place....
        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
          It's not that bad IMO

Expensive-
          -Black cabs
          -Heathrow Express (most expensive stretch of rail per mile in the world I believe)
          -Tube can get expensive if used frequently
          -Hotels

Cheap-
          -Drinking
          -Eating
          -Shopping (but not as cheap as USA)
          -Museums (take advantage of the free admission to all public museums)
          Last edited by Sethor; 30 January 2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Also if you plan to pack a suitcase & use rail to get to & from hotel keep in mind you're going to be lugging it up & down a heap of stairs.

Comment

(ie any racist people etc).
              There are racist people in London, just like there are in Singapore, China, Belgium, USA, Brazil, Australia, Kenya, Sweden and every other country on earth. However, the chances of you coming across any of them is virtually nil so just enjoy one of the world's great cities.

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
              That's a bit much coming from someone from Singapore, where the SGD had gone from about 3.5 to the Pound to under 2 in the last few years. How do you think we feel coming to Singapore ?!.

Originally posted by Sethor View Post
              It's not that bad IMO
              Aussie's are laughing as well as the AUD went from near 2.5 to 1.5 to the Pound in the last few years.

Everything costs us a fortune when we travel now.....

Comment

In 2001 AUD was 3:1 to the GBP & 2:1 to the USD, times have changed for the better.

Comment

Rip-off London's attractions are most expensive in world

Londons's top visitor attractions are the most expensive in the world, according to a survey of major cities conducted by The Sunday Telegraph.
                  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-in-world.html

Money & costs
                  http://www.lonelyplanet.com/england/...on/money-costs

Oh, btw, I will be in London on the 13th Feb.....
                  Last edited by kapitan; 31 January 2013, 11:57 AM.
                  This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Oh I know London is ridiculously expensive, but it's got a hell of a lot cheaper for Singaporeans and Aussies in the the last few years. Us Northerners have got no such discount!. And it's a hell of lot cheaper for a pint on Oxford Street than Orchard Road!.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethor View Post
                      It's not that bad IMO
                      Cheap-
                      -Drinking
                      -Eating
                      -Shopping (but not as cheap as USA)
                      -Museums (take advantage of the free admission to all public museums)
                      Compared to the rest of the UK those things are expensive in London.

Comment

I'm from Perth, so I'm use to paying extortionate prices. Anything lower than Perth prices seems cheap to me.

Comment

Thanks for the answers. And since we're on the topic of money, is there any big worry about pickpocketing there?

Comment

There's always a chance of it in any major city especially in crowded areas. Reputation wise, London is perceived to be less susceptible to pick-pocketing than say, Barcelona, Roma or Paris. But that's just perception, I have no data to back it.

There're always precautions that one must take - these are some of the basics:
                            1) Divide your cash up, never put it all in one place.
                            2) Wallets should not be in your back-pocket. Put the bulk of cash that you don't need in a waist wallet that can be tugged INTO your pants; they are better than neck pouch as these can be cut off. Do not use waist or belt bags; they can very easily be unzipped as they distract you.
                            3) Buy an anti-pickpocket bag - google for them.
                            4) Make a photocopy of your passport and put it somewhere apart from your real passport, in case you lose the latter.

Modern pick-pocketing.

Comment

Being careful would be the best defense against pickpocketing. It can even happen in SIN....just ask my wife....

Comment

Working...
                              X