Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arriving HKG at 10:30p, stay at apt or downtown HK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arriving HKG at 10:30p, stay at apt or downtown HK?

Hello fellow SQtalkers,

In a little over a month I will be going to Hong Kong for the first time in my life (). I'm flying in from ICN and will arrive at 10:30PM at HKG. I'll be spending a total of five nights in Hong Kong, and am wondering if I should split up my stay.

I'm planning to take the MTR to downtown Hong Kong. Is this doable at 11PM? (I'm not sure how long it will take to pass immigrations, but I guess by 11PM I should be waiting for the MTR?) Or should I spend a night at the Novotel or Marriott close to the airport? There's almost no difference in rates between a night at an airport hotel and a hotel in downtown HK.

Any input on this?
    Thanks

You should take the Airport Express to Kowloon or Central - the journey is about 25 minutes; a train every 12 minutes; last train from the airport to town is just before 1am.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/engtxt/airport...ble_index.html

Comment

Definitely don't stay near the airport. Go into town, check-into your hotel, freshen up and then go out and enjoy (supper, drinks etc)!

Comment

Thanks jhm! I thought I may be tired, which is why I considered an airport hotel. But when looking back, when I was in Singapore for three nights I survived on a total of seven hours of sleep..

Comment

hi from HK!

Definitely come into town, there are free busses from Kowloon station to local hotels for Airport train ticket holders.

HK is still pumping at that time of night!

Enjoy your stay!
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
            hi from HK!

Definitely come into town, there are free busses from Kowloon station to local hotels for Airport train ticket holders.

HK is still pumping at that time of night!

Enjoy your stay!
            Yeah good idea, although not every hotel is covered. I think they have 5 routes - K1-5, and it does get you to pretty close to whatever hotel you choose.

Comment

Definitely get the express train into town then go to a hotel there, if you feel up for it then quick shower then into the fong!

Comment

Originally posted by 225 View Post
                Definitely get the express train into town then go to a hotel there, if you feel up for it then quick shower then into the fong!
                Yes, good idea. Although don't try to pronounce Lan Kwai Fong in "keithtonese" to the taxi driver

Comment

Thanks sqdazz, 225 and SQflyergirl!

I can't take the bus, since the last bus departs at 11:12PM, while my flight arrives at 10:30PM. I'm checking in luggage so I will never make it.

What would be the best way to get to the Courtyard Hong Kong? I was thinking the Airport Express to Hong Kong station, then catching a cab? Is there a taxi stand at Hong Kong station?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
                    Is there a taxi stand at Hong Kong station?
                    Yes of course!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      Yes of course!
                      Great. First time in Hong Kong, two pieces of luggage (carry-on, checked bag) so just wanted to make sure .

Comment

I'd get your hotel to send you their name and address in Chinese. Some taxi drivers struggle with the western names.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          I'd get your hotel to send you their name and address in Chinese. Some taxi drivers struggle with the western names.
                          I see, I'll make sure to do that . As long as it's not as bad as it is in Shanghai I will be fine. Even with the address in Chinese he managed to drop me off about 2km from the hotel . I decided to walk the last bit - the taxi driver was simply stupid (or acting that way).

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
                            I see, I'll make sure to do that . As long as it's not as bad as it is in Shanghai I will be fine. Even with the address in Chinese he managed to drop me off about 2km from the hotel . I decided to walk the last bit - the taxi driver was simply stupid (or acting that way).
                            Really... Never had a problem in Shanghai... Had my friend's address written in Chinese and all was fine... But then again I do speak a bit of Mandarin so I guess that helped.
                            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                              Really... Never had a problem in Shanghai... Had my friend's address written in Chinese and all was fine... But then again I do speak a bit of Mandarin so I guess that helped.
                              Yeah. It was that bad. Luckily, I was staying at the Renaissance Zhongshan Park - a 60 story hotel with a bright, large, blue stripe of lights which spanned all 60 stories. Made it quite easy to walk back to the hotel without a map .

Comment

Working...
                              X