Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hong Kong Transit

Need the HK experts here....

I will be transitting through Hong Kong to go into China,.... SQ flight arrives at 1445 hours and my next flight into China will be 1725... that would definitely be enough time for me to catch my next flight.... question is, do I have to go through immigration in Hong Kong as technically HK is a part of China..... or do I go through immigration at my arrival airport in China itself....

Next question is, (I am newbie with Hong Kong), which lounge to use for Air China flight at HK terminal....

Thank you very much,........
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

You don't clear immigration in HK but in China (proper).

CA is part of *A so you can use the SQ, TG and UA lounges; plus the CNAC VIP lounge:

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/f...e-lounges.html

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      You don't clear immigration in HK but in China (proper).

CA is part of *A so you can use the SQ, TG and UA lounges; plus the CNAC VIP lounge:

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/f...e-lounges.html
      Thanks a lot for the answers..... looks like I will be lounge hopping during my wait ...

Comment

You could do lounge hopping, but I don't think it's really necessary.
        TG lounge is the best *A lounge IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by kkjay77 View Post
          You could do lounge hopping, but I don't think it's really necessary.
          TG lounge is the best *A lounge IMHO.
          Alrite, thanks.......

Will have a look at the lounges before deciding on settling into one for my wait. Intent also to browse duty free to see if I could buy a assessory for my HTC Touch HD mobile phone (which I cannot find locally)....

Comment

You would need to clear transit security.
            SQ's lounge is near gate 15, while UA/TG lounges are near gate 60.

The automatic-people-mover train only goes in one direction (gate 20 - gate 60), so you might have to allow yourself sometime to get to the departure gate (depending on where it is - up to 15/20 min walk from UA/TG lounge)
            zxcvbn

Comment

Hi All,

I have an 8 hour transit in HK. Any suggestions for something to do. I think i will be bored out of my mind....thinking of going into town but have never been to HK before so not so confident of where to go and what to do.

Suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SQDoubter View Post
                I have an 8 hour transit in HK. Any suggestions for something to do. I think i will be bored out of my mind....thinking of going into town but have never been to HK before so not so confident of where to go and what to do.
                Take the Airport Express from HK airport to Central on Hong Kong Island - the journey takes under 30 minutes. A day return ticket costs HK$100 - about S$20.

Allowing time for you to clear HK immigration, the train both ways and security to get back airside, you'll have about 4-5 hours in Hong Kong. That's plenty of time to have a leisurely lunch (dimsum perhaps), take the Star Ferry (between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon - it only takes about 5-10 minutes and costs the equivalent of S$0.40 each way and the views are fabulous) and - if you still have time - take the funicular railway to the top of Victoria Peak (to see Hong Kong Island below). Or just wander around to get a feel for the place. You can get around using the MTR which, like Singapore's MRT, is modern, efficient and easy to use. You can stock up on free booklets, leaflets, maps etc at the tourist information points at arrivals.

You won't be bored. Hong Kong is a fabulous city. Enjoy!
                Last edited by jhm; 8 May 2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQDoubter View Post
                  Hi All,

Suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks!
                  It also depends on what you like to do. If sightseeing is your thing, I echo jhm on the star ferry and the peak.
                  If shopping is your thing, I'd suggest Causeway Bay (10 mins taxi ride from Hong Kong MTR station), and Tsim Sha Tsui (10 mins taxi ride from Kowloon MTR station).
                  zxcvbn

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
                    You would need to clear transit security.
                    SQ's lounge is near gate 15, while UA/TG lounges are near gate 60.

The automatic-people-mover train only goes in one direction (gate 20 - gate 60), so you might have to allow yourself sometime to get to the departure gate (depending on where it is - up to 15/20 min walk from UA/TG lounge)
                    Correct - Transit security is near immigration, but the last time I was there, the queue was awful.

Comment

If shopping is your thing, I'd suggest Causeway Bay (10 mins taxi ride from Hong Kong MTR station), and Tsim Sha Tsui (10 mins taxi ride from Kowloon MTR station).
                      If you're looking for high-end stuff, check out the ifc mall right above the Hong Kong AEx station in Central. I personally prefer Pacific Place in Admiralty, a 5-10 minute taxi ride from Central (or 1 stop on the MTR).

If you intend to go on public transport in town, get an Octopus card. It saves you the convenience of fiddling around with coins. You top up the card with cash, and it can be used pretty much everywhere (convenience stores, restaurants, etc.). When you arrive back in HKIA, ask for a refund of the card. Alternatively, keep it with you for your next visit to HKG.

Enjoy Hong Kong!

Comment

thanks all for the tips... i will see how i feel tomorrow after i land in HKIA. I can't imagine there is that much to do to keep me occupied 8 hours at the airport though.

Comment

[delete]
                          Last edited by zxcvbn; 11 May 2009, 09:03 PM.
                          zxcvbn

Comment

Before purchasing your Airport Express ticket, enquire at the airport's counter for a same-day return ticket - I believe that the return journey is free if you buy the same-day return card.
                            Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            Take the Airport Express from HK airport to Central on Hong Kong Island - the journey takes under 30 minutes. A day return ticket costs HK$100 - about S$20.

Comment

Working...
                            X