Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CX746 J BAH-DXB - it can only get better (I hope!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CX746 J BAH-DXB - it can only get better (I hope!)

(No pictures I'm afraid!)

Having flown ZRH-MAN-ZRH last year in both SQ J and SQ F and with SQ's recent PPS changes driving away leisure travellers like myself, I found myself yesterday (Saturday) afternoon in BAH about to take my first Traitor Air flight in a premium cabin (J).

I'd taken the overnight BA flight LHR-DXB (about 6 hours) the evening before. I'd arrived at LHR slightly late (a result of only realising during the afternoon at work that whilst my BA flights were e-tickets, the other ones were paper and were sitting at home! ) and I found a long line of people at the LHR T4 FIRST check-in (which I could use as a BA gold). The wait must have been about twenty minutes (is it normally like this on Friday evening ?!?) and the BA staff were combing the line looking for real FIRST passengers rather than interlopers like myself. After that and clearing immigration (Fast Track was reasonably fast), I went to the lounge pavilion only to find out that the wait for a shower was 30-35 minutes so I had no time. (I don't know whether I should have tried the T4 gate 1 lounge as I've never noticed but I assume there are also showers there ?)

It was my first time in Club World and I have the comments which people usually make about the constricted width of the bed (where the arm rests don't drop down), the unspectacular food and the lack of storage space (a 777 so no upper deck with its window storage bins) but, compared to SQ's Spacebed, positives include the fully flat bed (no sliding down during the night and (unlike SQ old or new F) no height restriction on kicking my feet up and down all night ) and an amenity kit even in J. This was the menu:

DINNER

Starters

Loch Fyne smoked salmon with mustard dressing
    -or-
    Meze plate

Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

Main

Grilled fillet of beef with asparagus, carrots and blue cheese gnocchi

Shaun Hill's smoked haddock and prawn fish pie

Vegetable and date tajin with minted Moroccan couscous

Main course salad of Cajun chicken with peppered pineapple and spicy tomato dressing

Dessert

Strawberries and cream

Cropwell Bishop Stilton and French Brie cheese

A selection of fruit

Chocolates

CLUB KITCHEN

Between meals, please help yourself to a drink or a tasty snack. Please visit the Club Kitchen and help yourself to the selection on display.

Snack salads, sandwcihes, filled rolls and wraps

Fresh fruit slaads and fruit smoothies or juice

Choice of luxury cakes

Crisps and chocoalte (including organic chocolate)

BREAKFAST

Starters

Chilled fruit juice

An energising fruit smoothie of milk, strawberry, banana and vanilla

Fresh fruit appetiser
    -or-
    Greek yoghurt with honey

Bakery

Selection of warm breads and breakfast pastries
    On arrival at DXB, I found it was indeed (as described by SQFAN later on) a pasar malam (a bazaar in Malay) with crowds of people, lots of shops (enough to make even BAA proud) and people lying everywhere on the floor sleeping! Luckily, getting the boarding pass for my next flight GF DXB-BAH was easy and there was no queue at the security for transit passengers so I was able to quickly settle into the GF lounge to wait for my flight.

The GF lounge (also used by VS) was pleasant but nothing particularly special - spacious, not crowded, a nice selection of food and drink available (with attendants standing around to assist), one computer with Internet access and the boarding calls made by the lounge dragon walking around to all the passengers. (No shower - I understand from SQFAN that you can pay for the shower facilities at the DXB airport hotel.)

The GF flight was a short 45-minute hop on a 2-class A320-200. J was configured as four rows of 2-2 seating with comfortable seats with 40+ inches of pitch. The crew was from all over the world, e.g. Bahrain (obviously!), Greece, the Philippines etc. Like the seat, GF's service and meal on such a short flight put BA's Club Europe service (the duration being something like BA CE LHR-CDG with a cold salad) to shame - as well as a pre-departure drink, newspapers and a choice of hot or cold towel (a proper towel rather than the flimsy toilet cloths which BA use), I had the following menu:

GULF REGION

To start

Seasonal fruit juices - apple, orange, mango and tomato

Main course

Grilled lamb koftas - aromatic spiced minced lamb offered with saffron rice and Roma tomato sauce

Light option

Tempting assortment of cold appetisers offering Mediterranean flavours

From the bakery

Choice of Arabic bread

To finish

Assorted teas - camomile, English breakfast, Moroccan mint, Earl Grey, Ceylon black tea

Freshley brewed or decaffeinated coffee

Served with a selection of biscuits
    Arrival into Bahrain was easy - no queue whatsoever at immigration (where I got stung by the exchange rate offered by the immigration officer for a visa fee paid with Sterling but what could I do ? ) and I was first off the plane. A quick 10-minute taxi ride into town (with the opportunity to get slightly fleeced by a Bahraini taxi driver whose meter was on the blink but for the sake of the amount involved I wasn't about to jump out of the taxi ) and I met up for lunch with SQFAN who just happened to be in Bahrain and flying to Qatar every night for his own special reasons.

It was straight back to the airport after lunch (another opportunity to enrich another taxi driver) and I was initially confused when I found the check-in desks for CX746 BAH-DXB but I could only see those for Y. After queueuing for a little while, I spotted an airport staff member and after asking me several times whether I was travelling in J (e.g. "are you in business ? is your ticket in business ?"), he led me off to another part of the terminal signposted "first class check-in". I had seen that earlier but thought it was for GF only. The check-in process was very civilised with no queues, a large room with desks as check-in counters and a chair in front of each and security just for J/F passengers. (I've never experienced SQ F check-in in SIN and assume it's similar to this ?)

I'd read reports from others who (like SQFAN) seem to like Bahrain with nightly trips to Qatar and understood that even as OW sapphire or emerald on a BA flight, they were sent away from the CX BAH lounge and told to use the independently operated Dilmun lounge instead. No such problem for me booked on a CX flight so I went into the lounge (which had no F side - if it had, I wonder if my BA gold card together with a CX J ticket would have been sufficient!) ... to wonder what all the fuss is about ? Apart from the food selection with some hot dimsum and a few computers, the lounge was quite small (although it had a nice view), full of passengers and unremarkable.

I asked the lounge dragon whether the lounge had a toilet and was told to go down the corridor into the Dilmun lounge, present my BA gold card and use the toilet in there! I entered the Dilmun lounge and asked about the toilet but didn't show my BA gold card and was sent packing by the lounge dragon who seemed annoyed that CX had sent a passenger over rather than downstairs to the toilet inside the terminal. When I left, she was phoning the CX lounge and complaining. After shuttling between the two lounges again, I slowly realised that I really did need to show my BA gold card and after the lounge dragon took down my details (will BA or CX get charged for my use of the Dilmun lounge toilet I wonder ?), I was finally admitted into the Dilmun lounge (which is also a Priority Pass lounge) ... to find that it seems much much better than the CX lounge. I didn't look around the food and drink selection but the lounge was many times bigger, looked to be decorated quite nicely and only had a few passengers inside ... plus it had its own toilets!

The CX 45-minute flight BAH-DXB (where it then continues on to HKG) was operated by a 2-class 777-200 (with 6-7 rows of a 2-3-2 configuration in J). Whilst I appreciate that this was obviously one of the older planes in CX's fleet and the short flight presumably isn't representative of a typical CX flight:
    • My seat was wobbly and seemed slightly broken, e.g. I could push the seat backwards or forwards.
    • The interior looked old and dirty, e.g. panels which seemed loose and dirt around the light fittings.
    • I was sat in J and there was no individual seat IFE - only a projected screen at the front of the cabin - fine for my short hop but I wouldn't have wanted to be booked for DXB-HKG!
    • Whilst there seemed to be plenty of crew in the J and the cabin was not half full, the crew seemed to be disorganised and rushing around without any apparent method I could discern (although perhaps it was catering to CX status passengers first ?!?), e.g. the captain made the announcement for the crew to take their seats for take-off but they had only just started to collect the pre-departure drink glasses. No typical SQ efficiency here!

The IFS went round to all the passengers, addressing me by name and handing each of us a menu depending on whether we were only going as far as DXB or all the way to HKG. The food was similar to the SQ ZRH-MAN-ZRH offerings (perhaps not even up to that standard) rather than the excellent food on offer from GF for the same flight:

Refreshment

Selected sandwiches - smoked salmon and smoked chicken with fruit kebab

Tea and coffee

Pralines
    As an example of the crew's disorganisation, I never got a hot towel nor the pralines although I did see them getting handed out to some of the passengers!
    Last edited by jhm; 25 June 2007, 05:49 AM.

On arrival into DXB, it seemed that only one other passenger and I deplaned. (The crew were also replaced by new crew for the onward journey to HKG.) Entry into Dubai itself wasn't a problem with a not too long wait at immigration. I booked a hotel for my 6-hour layover (which I was really thankful for given I hadn't had the chance to shower the day before) - the Le Meridien Dubai very near the airport which offers free airport transfers but - as I discovered only after making the booking - they don't fully participate in SPG so no points nor credit towards status.

I left for the airport at midnight, passed through the formalities quickly enough (thanks to DXB having immigration lines for business/first) and found my way to the BA Terraces lounge. The flight back (about 7 hours) was on a 747 (again, not the new Club World) and I was booked into 62K (exit row) on the upper deck so no need for gymnastics every time I wanted to get out into the aisle. It was a sleeper service so no full meal on board (but, unlike a usual sleeper service, also no pre-flight dining available in the DXB lounge):

The Sleeper Service

The British Airways Sleeper Service is designed to provide you with longer, undisturbed sleep-time whilst on board.

NightCap

Settle down with a NightCap to help you sleep.

Open sandwiches of marinated breast of chicken and prawn cocktail
    -or-
    Roast aubergine, tomato, grilled peppers and hummus and baba ghanoush served with warm Arabic bread
    -or-
    Hot chocolate with warm chocolate chip cookies

Club Kitchen

Please visit the galley area in between meal services, where light snacks and drinks will be available.

Arrivals Lounge

Feel revived, refreshed and ready for the day by completing your journey with a visit to the Arrivals Lounge. There you can enjoy a full English or Continental breakfast, take a power shower, catch up on work - even get your suit pressed.

Breakfast in Bed

Chilled fruit juice

An energising fruit smoothie

Fresh seasonal fruit

Fruit yoghurt

Freshly scrambled egg in a tomato and herb pancake served with fresh mushrooms, veal sausage, tomato and Swiss cheese potatoes
    -or-
    Panckes with syrup and caramelised bananas

Selection of warm bread and breakfast pastries

Your choice of coffee or tea
    I declined all food and went to bed straight after take-off and slept until just before our descent into LHR. On arrival into LHR T4, there was a massive immigration scrum (I'm told that IRIS wasn't operating either) and once I had passed that , it was straight to the arrivals lounge for a very welcome shower (to feel human again!), a quick hello to SQFAN who'd arrived from BAH and was off to his flight back up to ABZ and a full English breakfast. I decided not to go for another freebie Molton Brown treatment (even though it's much easier to get one in arrivals than departure) because my last one consisted of a 10-minute back rub fully clothed (unlike the special services available in the BA Molton Brown Spa in JFK ) so not worth the time IMO.

In conclusion, I have to say that I was distinctly underwhelmed by my first CX J flight (but enjoyed nevertheless)! It can't just have been the short flight duration as my first ever SQ J flights were ZRH-MAN-ZRH last summer and that was a fantastic experience! Here's hoping that my next CX flights this August (SIN-HKG in J and NRT-TPE-HKG, HKG-BKK and BKK-SIN all in F - all leisure flights which I would have booked something similar on SQ if they hadn't p*ssed off myself and so many other people) will be better...
    Last edited by jhm; 25 June 2007, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post

I decided not to go for another freebie Molton Brown treatment (even though it's much easier to get one in arrivals than departure) because my last one consisted of a 10-minute back rub fully clothed (unlike the special services available in the BA Molton Brown Spa in JFK )
      Dude, you don't want one of those JFK special massages. In LHR T4 departure, I only took off my top.

...and no, there are no parts of mine needing special attention. Ha ha ha ha

Comment

Thanks for sharing mate - a most interesting and well-written report.

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
        Dude, you don't want one of those JFK special massages. In LHR T4 departure, I only took off my top.
        Hmm - I wonder if the JFK MB Spa is open to pax of QF108.....

..............only to verify those claims of course, in the name of research I swear!
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 June 2007, 06:32 AM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Very nice trip report, jhm. I too hope you'll get to experience the CX service that others have liked. The disorganisation amongst the crew reminds me of my last CX Y flight (which makes it marginally more excusable than what you got in J).

One FA was huffing and puffing with the trolley, only to discover that some items (like wine during the dinner service!) had run out. She stood there pouting while another FA ran to the galley for the supplies. The overall impression was a lack of coordination; lots of wasted motion; and tense, rushed service -- in short, none of the calm efficiency of the SQ crews I've run across on full flights.

Let us know if you get a better draw during your travels later this summer.
          Last edited by jjpb3; 25 June 2007, 07:45 PM.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            Hmm - I wonder if the JFK MB Spa is open to pax of QF108.....
            I don't think it is, as that flight isn't covered by the JSA.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              I don't think it is, as that flight isn't covered by the JSA.
              Dang! Oh well...
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Dang! Oh well...
                I could very well be wrong, though. A charmingly phrased inquiry -- with a dose of flirtation -- might get you a booking.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  I could very well be wrong, though. A charmingly phrased inquiry -- with a dose of flirtation -- might get you a booking.
                  I suppose I'd just have to put up with the LHR MB Spa after all won't I?

Comment

Great report!

Comment

jhm - your observation about disorganised nature : ... I also noted that with BA. Not actually disorganisation but more like service level inconsistencies. Comparing with the somewhat 'regimented' SQ, maybe that's why SQ has been termed 'robotic'. Hmmm

..............only to verify those claims of course, in the name of research I swear!
                      "...and the reporter made his exciuses and left"

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                        jhm - your observation about disorganised nature : ... I also noted that with BA. Not actually disorganisation but more like service level inconsistencies. Comparing with the somewhat 'regimented' SQ, maybe that's why SQ has been termed 'robotic'. Hmmm
                        Give me "robotic regimented" SQ efficiency over what I experienced on CX any day! I think jjpb3 summed it up perfectly when he wrote above that the "overall impression was a lack of coordination; lots of wasted motion; and tense, rushed service".

Comment

I only read the CX part, but a very interesting and heartening report indeed jhm.

Kudos.

Comment

Give me "robotic regimented" SQ efficiency over what I experienced on CX any day! I think jjpb3 summed it up perfectly when he wrote above that the "overall impression was a lack of coordination; lots of wasted motion; and tense, rushed service".
                            Don't get me wrong. SQ anyday for me too

Side note: Sometimes the regimented nature of S'porean culture causes lack of initiative. People just do and don't think. Maybe years of being educated in a spoon-fed culture. A few months ago at Changi, the security personnel removed my clear resealable plastic bag. Why? Because it was not zip-lock reseable. Mine was from LHR and it uses adhesive as the sealing mechanism. In the end, I could not be bothered to argue as I got a new bag anyway.

Comment

(No pictures I'm afraid!)
                              • My seat was wobbly and seemed slightly broken, e.g. I could push the seat backwards or forwards.
                              • The interior looked old and dirty, e.g. panels which seemed loose and dirt around the light fittings.
                              • I was sat in J and there was no individual seat IFE - only a projected screen at the front of the cabin - fine for my short hop but I wouldn't have wanted to be booked for DXB-HKG!
                              • Whilst there seemed to be plenty of crew in the J and the cabin was not half full, the crew seemed to be disorganised and rushing around without any apparent method I could discern (although perhaps it was catering to CX status passengers first ?!?), e.g. the captain made the announcement for the crew to take their seats for take-off but they had only just started to collect the pre-departure drink glasses. No typical SQ efficiency here!
                              There is an IFE screen. It is located under your armrest.

Comment

Working...
                              X