Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Istanbul con/scam warning

post deleted
    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:25 AM.

Thanks for the warning.

Where in IST did this happen?

One of my girlfriends found IST really stressful (around the Blue MOsque, Haghia area) because she was pestered constantly. The local romeos who were following her around did not help as well.

I've been to IST twice but fortunately have not encountered any of these experiences. But I've not really been hanging out at the tourist attractions. I plan to do so this weekend though! So I'd be extra vigilant.

One of the scams I encountered in my last trip was at the airport. We walked past one of the shuttle service shops. The guy told us that the Park Hyatt provides a 'free' shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and that they were authorised to do so by the hotel. News to me so we did not take up his offer.

Maybe I was in IST during the off-peak seasons. The weather is a lot better now and there are more tourists for them to prey on, so perhaps they're out in full force.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
      Thanks for the warning.

Where in IST did this happen?

One of my girlfriends found IST really stressful (around the Blue MOsque, Haghia area) because she was pestered constantly. The local romeos who were following her around did not help as well.

I've been to IST twice but fortunately have not encountered any of these experiences. But I've not really been hanging out at the tourist attractions. I plan to do so this weekend though! So I'd be extra vigilant.

One of the scams I encountered in my last trip was at the airport. We walked past one of the shuttle service shops. The guy told us that the Park Hyatt provides a 'free' shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and that they were authorised to do so by the hotel. News to me so we did not take up his offer.

Maybe I was in IST during the off-peak seasons. The weather is a lot better now and there are more tourists for them to prey on, so perhaps they're out in full force.

post deleted

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
        I know what you mean about being hassled - and there was no shame about it!! One minute they would be talking to one set of ladies and then as soon as new one walked by they'd chase after her. I'm sure it's flattering the first few times, but I imagine it can be pretty annoying after some time.
        Were they trying to sell the ladies something or were they just aspiring romeos?

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
          Were they trying to sell the ladies something or were they just aspiring romeos?
          post deleted

Comment

Encountered my first dodgy taxi driver from IST to the hotel. The meter reading should be about 37-38 TL. I had a brief glance at it when we were getting into the vicinity of the hotel. I've paid between 39 to 45 TL on previous trips. He refused to drive us directly to the hotel, unloading us in front of the Prada shop (about 5 mins walk away), citing one way traffic, etc which was perfectly fine with me. I gave him 40 TL. He insisted that it was 50TL. He had cunningly reset the meter, so I could not read a fare off it at that stage. I told him I had read the meter and it was about 37 TL. 'No madame, it's 50 TL.' Then pointed to our suitcases, '5 TL, 5 TL'. I told my companion I was not standing around to argue with idiots, so I just wheeled my suitcase and walked off. Did he think I'm some fresh fish that could be conned?!

Lessons from this:
            1. Newcomers to IST should have small change ready.
            2. Know the approx fare.
            3. Make sure your luggage is unloaded before you pay!
            3. Have a vague idea of the location of your hotel, since you might not be dropped off at the door step!

Also met the local romeos at Taksim. Could spot them so easily. They're just loitering around along the streets. They'd step along beside you and walk along with you. "What are you looking for?" When they couldn't get a response from me in English, they tried Japanese and I think Korean? They don't seem to know any Cantonese or Mandarin yet. I was walking too fast for them to keep up anyway. But most were wise enough to steer clear of me since I had a stick with a heavy duty ballhead which could cause them grevious injury!

Did not meet any happy sunny shoeshine conmen at Galata Bridge. That's one of my fav spots in IST. I always end up going there. But I think I saw someone who looks like James May (with a bunch of other guys, I did not bother to see who they were). I looked at him, thought he looked vaguely familiar. He looked back at me. Maybe he was expecting me to stop him for an autograph? (Haha... it's just like the time when I saw one of the Russian ballet dancers near the stage door at the ROH)

I think I'd keep IST for winter next time. It's a lot nicer when the weather is colder. Less dodgy people around too. Or maybe it's just the touristy areas like Taksim where girls get hassled.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your taxi troubles

James May is pretty recognisable, I'd have definitely said a hello

I'm not planning on IST in the winter again anytime soon, not as enjoyable, I found. The other time (September), was better, but I'd say the best would be end-Sept to early-Oct.

Comment

Working...
              X