Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from UK to SIN – FF considerations

Hi all,

I'm soon to move to SIN, from the UK, so you might see me around here a bit more. I've been Gold with BD for 18 months, and loved the earnings and qualification requirements. I managed to net 80k-odd status miles last year. Now that I'm coming to SIN, I'd like to keep my BD status, but am curious as what that might restrict me in terms of. Clearly, there's no local credit card, and BMI don't serve anywhere nearby. That's a shame as some of their bonus miles promotions are fantastic.

So what about mileage runs ex-SIN? Are there any reasonable deals on *A flights that can net CPM close to what our American friends get to enjoy? I can see that some C class tickets are quite reasonably priced (SIN-BKK rt on TG for e.g.). Anything that's par for the course?

I do expect to travel a bit for work and family, but all in discounted Y. At least 1 trip to the UK per year, then maybe 1 more to Europe or the US and another to Asia somewhere, that might leave me short of requalification.

Also, in case anyone here is in a similar situation, what's the score with the Amex Platinum in Singapore? Is there any reason to switch or otherwise from the UK scheme?

I'd be grateful to get any perspectives from people is somewhat similar positions.

Thanks!

Welcome to SQTalk, Saracen.

To be honest, I would stick BD for now, in advance of any of the feared changes that LH may make. It's still by far the best *A FFP there is. Do you currently have a BD mileage earning card, either the Mastercard or the Amex ?. If so, I would see if you could keep that going after you move to Singapore. I know another SQTalker from Germany who has done exactly that with his LH card, As everything is done online it's pretty easy.

As for *A mileage runs. Ex Singapore is obviously expensive on SQ, but there are occasionally TG deals around. However, ex-BKK and SGN there are usually good fares available.

I don't know anything about Amex Platinum Cards in Singapore, maybe one of the locals could comment on that, but SQ do have KF milesage earning cards. I suppose if you could put a lot of spend on one of those KF earning cards may be worth getting. However, the lack of Saver award availability on the (no longer) new products means I have given up on KF and stopped putting flights to it a while ago.

To summarise, you just can't beat BD's DC as it is at the moment!.
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 9 November 2009, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, Saracen.

Echoing MAN Flyer, BD DC can't be beat and there's no reason for you to give up on it. I'll only give up when it no longer exist. As a matter of fact, a number of SIN-based folk here on this board are also BD Gold and have never even flown BD.
      And BD has some exceptional redemption rates for weekend or longer trips from SIN to North Asia.

Comment

Working...
      X