No announcement yet.

The new SQ cabin classes - Discussion & speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose the interest in what they'll do with R/F and J class is because the 2013 Y is already (probably) the best Y product out there, so there's not much to see in the Y space. I'm personally interested to see what they'll do with J as I'm hoping to get redemptions on the new A380s when they do become available. I've never flown on SQ J, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised when they finally reveal the seat!

Comment

the new seats should be revealed when the new A380 arrives soon or just before.

Comment

[QUOTE=yflyer;212559]Not everyone...

That said, for Y, we may be approaching the point of diminishing returns, or even a step backwards. For example, the 9-abreast 787 economy cabin. 3-3-3 on a Dreamliner is a reasonable product for LCC"s, but doesn't cut it for a full service carrier. And let us not forget CX's well intentioned, but ultimately ill-conceived, experiment with hard shell Y seats.

[QUOTE]

Well CX's hard shell seats were a good experiment with good intentions(never disturb the one behind, more legroom) and bad sides (you slide down). CX's new A350 Y seats are very comfortable, almost premium quality but I don't think that SQ will take the risk of experimenting seats the way CX does (CX always changes seats and IFE's).

As for the 787 economy cabin, I don't know much about it but I am sure that SQ will not compromise comfort.

I do not know whether Premium Economy will be kept on the long run. Usually, Premium Economy has a short lasting effect and many airlines get rid of it, even those with which it proofs successful. TK's Comfort Class was one of the most appreciated but ceased operation due to a lower demand. Businessmans will fly business and premium economy is a huge constraint to airlines since it takes space and make them lose what they could earn having a few business seats. I think this is a question of time until SQ stops premium economy.

As for your response regarding the camera, I still think that having the full set of options is a plus.

What would be great is if SQ could have headphones instead of headsets in Y class. Another good improvement would be to "democratize" the Wifi and make either free or low priced (like EK does).

Always wondered how earphone provided on SQ are changed when a next passenger comes. It looks like a one use only thing but I am sure that they are re-used. How do they actually change it for the next passenger? I guess they must have a special machine which sticks the two sides back together and disinfects the whole thing (those flying only Business might not understand what I talk about)

Comment

Originally posted by r123 View Post
          Always wondered how earphone provided on SQ are changed when a next passenger comes. It looks like a one use only thing but I am sure that they are re-used. How do they actually change it for the next passenger? I guess they must have a special machine which sticks the two sides back together and disinfects the whole thing (those flying only Business might not understand what I talk about)
          The new bud style headsets in Y are certainly single use. For that basic quality of product, cleaning and repackaging is completely uneconomical, especially given plane turnaround times.

Comment

One month before the A380 debuts on the SYD route and no press release yet of the new products.....this is driving me crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger777 View Post
              One month before the A380 debuts on the SYD route and no press release yet of the new products.....this is driving me crazy!
              Actually they are having a release on Nov 2 on the new products so will get to know more then. https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...s-launch-nov-2

But I think the first flight isn't going to happen until 2018 and while chances are high for SYD it may be other routes like LHR

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger777 View Post
                Patience, young Jedi!

SQ plays its cards very close to its chest in matters such as these - the launch of the current 'next-gen' F and J had pretty much zero leakage if I recall, although there was also quite some time between the reveal and their first appearance in the air.

The current deal is that the media launch will take place mid-morning of Thursday Nov 2 – and there may be an embargo in place for a coupla hours, as this was the case for the previous 'next gen' launch. I'll share more info as and when I can.

Comment

Anyone else see this website for Pierre Jean Design Studio? Under commercial aircraft and clicking on SIA, these images come up of a aircraft lobby with what looks like a standing bar area, a small dining room and possible cabin/seat spaces behind the dining room?

The shape of the ceiling and curvature of the fuselage walls suggest it could be from an A380 upper deck fuselage. The orchids and colour scheme do seem to fit with SIA's overall aesthetic. What do we think? do you think it might be a hint of what to expect for November 2nd?

Comment

They definitely look like the upper deck of an A380, no doubt about it.

I feel these might be "concept designs" where the interior designers have done much the same as car designers do for auto shows. A lot of the features could be adapted for an actual aircraft to achieve a similar feel, but these designs are taking up a lot of real estate. The red leather chairs have no seatbelts and some of the surfaces and cupboards appear impractical, especially during turbulence. There's a lot of weight here it would seem.

How cool would it be, if these were built into a first class lounge though? The sign saying "welcome on board" could be the exit to head to the aircraft!

Comment

Originally posted by pulvardon View Post
                      Anyone else see this website for Pierre Jean Design Studio? Under commercial aircraft and clicking on SIA, these images come up of a aircraft lobby with what looks like a standing bar area, a small dining room and possible cabin/seat spaces behind the dining room?

The shape of the ceiling and curvature of the fuselage walls suggest it could be from an A380 upper deck fuselage. The orchids and colour scheme do seem to fit with SIA's overall aesthetic. What do we think? do you think it might be a hint of what to expect for November 2nd?

Wow, this looks awesome! Really interesting, though I can't see a door haha!

By the way, who designed the Suites?
                      Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

What a beautiful cabin concept! I would be very surprised however if a lounge space of this size appears on SQ aircraft. At most some nonusable extra space could be adapted into a lounge corner, methinks.

Comment

Looks very nice, but appears quite impractical for inflight operations. Any turbulence and everything will start flying around. The corners on the table look too sharp. Looks like an initial design concept/vision rather than anything that has gone through all the required engineering and testing. And those heavy books on the shelf!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                            Looks very nice, but appears quite impractical for inflight operations. Any turbulence and everything will start flying around. The corners on the table look too sharp. Looks like an initial design concept/vision rather than anything that has gone through all the required engineering and testing. And those heavy books on the shelf!!!
                            Yes I saw those too! As someone who regularly brings home books like that in my luggage, I know all too well how much they weigh...

Comment

Pierrejean Design Studio seems from reliable sources to be the studio that designed the new suites to be presented on November 3rd.

But those images cannot possibly be related to the new A380 - SIA would sue them and cut their contract with no hesitation.

Maybe they are part of a tender from previous times.

Comment

Or it could have been part of the several designs presented to SIA for consideration but were eliminated for the reasons mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                                X