An Unexpected Journey: Dubai and Kuwait on SQ J/Y and EK Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Unexpected Journey: Dubai and Kuwait on SQ J/Y and EK Y

“There is a client I would like you to meet in Kuwait. Would you like to go there?”

“Yes, sure” I replied, “but let me check the visa requirements first.”

I was about to head to Dubai on SQ. I had planned four days there for work from Monday to Thursday, and possibly Friday as a free day (They have their weekends on Fri/Sat in Dubai), but those plans went out the window, now that I had to fit in a side trip to Kuwait.

I had never been to Kuwait. In fact, Kuwait had been off the radar for me for a while, since the Iraqi invasion in 1990, and Desert Shield/Desert Storm in 1991.

While Iraq, Syria and Lebanon have been in the news recently, Kuwait has stayed out of the “limelight” in recent years, which is probably not a bad thing. Work aside, I was interested in visiting just to get a sense of what this country was about, and to see if there were any trace at all of the Iraqi invasion 24 years ago, if only in the memories and recollections of the people I would meet.

As it turned out, there was a need for a business visa for Kuwait, but this was sorted out quickly.

But first, I would head to Dubai on SQ, This would be a perfect opportunity for a Business Saver Upgrade to J.

I was booked on SQ494 SIN-DXB, a 3.10pm departure out of Singapore, arriving at 6.25pm local time in Dubai. Equipment was a refitted 777-300.

I had just done a TR on SIN-PEK on SQ J on the same type of equipment (TR here). Any point in doing another TR on a 773A? It turned out that there were a few differences in experience and service format in SQ J on this flight, compared to my recent SIN-PEK trip, that were worth highlighting.

For a start, I had a bulkhead seat this time, 12C – first row of Business Class. Also the business class meal service formats were quite different in SIN-DXB from SIN-PEK despite both flights departing in the mid-late afternoon. Singapore to Dubai is 7 hours 30 minutes. The flight to Beijing is 6 hours 20 minutes. Just an hour’s difference, but enough to change the inflight meal service format significantly.

In Dubai, I stayed at the Sheraton Dubai Mall of the Emirates. In Kuwait I stayed at the Sheraton Kuwait.

For my Emirates flights, my DXB-KWI sector, flight time 1 hour 20 minutes, was operated by a Beong 777-300ER in configured 3-4-3 in Y, whereas KWI-DXB was on an Airbus A330-200 configured 2-4-2. When we get to that part of the TR I’ll share my wildly different inflight experiences on these two aircraft types on exactly the same route: and why one of these is a config I try to avoid if at all possible.

As my Kuwait side trip on EK was planned and ticketed separately from my Dubai trip via SQ, this would be on an entirely separate airline ticket DXB-KWI-DXB on Emirates, which meant a connection to SQ on my return leg for my DXB-SIN.

My reservations on SQ and EK were not linked. On my return leg, I would need to get from Dubai Airport Concourse B, where my Emirates flight arrived from Kuwait, to Concourse C where SQ flights depart from Dubai. Shouldn’t this be straightforward for a megahub like DXB? Surprisingly, this simple connection turns out to be not quite so simple. Possible, yes, but far from seamless!

Interested? Read on!
    Last edited by yflyer; 20 September 2014, 05:48 PM.

My trip started at Changi Airport T2 on a slightly hazy afternoon.

I headed straight to the T2 SilverKris Lounge.

This was not as large as the T3 SilverKris Lounge, but it was comfortable enough.

F&B offerings were fairly similar to the T3 SilverKris Lounge -- a decent selection of cold and hot Asian and International starters and mains, including several vegetarian selections.

Here is just one of the many dishes on offer...

Smallish work area near the entrance. In the background you can see some lanterns hung on the wall...token decor to celebrate the Mid Autumn Festival...

After a quick snack in the lounge I headed to the gate, where 9V-SYK was being readied for departure.

I settled into my seat in the first row of J.

Post-take off drink orders were taken...

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 04:59 PM.

Comment

A short taxi to runway 20C and quite long wait as a string of aircraft landed, including this SIA Cargo 747-400F...

...a long take-off run followed by a slow left turn, with good views of the ships along the coast of Singapore from the left side...

Not long after, seatbelt signs went off and cabin service began.

J on this aircraft was the new regional J product, configured 2-2-2.

The bulkhead row had ample legroom...even when fully reclined (This is an inclined lie-flat seat) it would be possible for the window seat passenger to get across to the aisle without any difficulty.

Eyeshades and sockettes were distributed.

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Inflight service began with Champagne and a bowl of nuts...

Was there a choice of champagne to Dubai? Nope, only Taittinger, whereas SIN-PEK, a flight an hour shorter, offered both Taittinger and Bollinger.

A view of the row 11 center bulkhead seats...

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I had ordered BTC selections for both dinner and refreshment, but browsed the menu anyway to see what I was missing...

A refreshment before landing...

As mentioned, only one choice of champagne...

White wine...

And red...

Apart from that, a very nice selection of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails and beverages, and a great coffee and tea selection.
          Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

My choice of pre-dinner drink was Golden Spice non-alcoholic cocktail..."a refreshing zesty mix of lime cordial spiced up with ginger ale and fresh pineapple juice"...

With my starter, I had a glass of Brocard Chablis Premier Cru...

The starter that day was marinated prawn, with bocconcini and grilled vegetables and basil pesto...

This was quite delicious, with plump prawns, which went well with the bocconcini (Small balls of cheese similar to mozzarella, a semi-soft white cheese) and pesto...

A nice bread selection was on offer, including that old favourite garlic bread, served warm...

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

The gentleman across the aisle ordered the beef fillet for his main...

I had pre-ordered the BTC (Book The Cook) Lobster Thermidor...

This was delicious -- large tender chunks of lobster in a creamy sauce.

Dessert was panna cotta...

Cheese was served after dessert...

Along with a selection of fruit...

A cup of decaf espresso...

And a very nice selection of pralines...

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

It was time for a few hours of rest...

Krisworld IFE was full AVOD. As this was an older refitted 777-300, the programme selection was smaller than the latest Krisworld, but still contained a wide selection. Screens were in 4:3 aspect ratio. Compared to the regular J seats, the screen at the bulkhead was a little further from the seat, but still fine. I guess between the legroom and the further screen, most folks would choose the legroom, but it just goes to show that you can't have everything.

Headphones supplied were superb sounding Phitek noise-cancelling headphones.

This is the seat in fully reclined position...ample space between the seat and the bulkhead for the window-side pax to get in and out.

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

An hour and a half before landing, a refreshment was served.

I began with a Tropical Fizz..."An invigorating concoction of pineapple juice and bitter lemon"...

Selections from the menu were Indonesian Fried Noodles, or a Ciabatta, but I had pre-ordered a BTC Angus Beef Burger...

It came attractively presented with a large mushroom and mild salsa.

The bun was a little on the hard side...

But the burger itself, done medium/well, was juicy and tender...

On its own, some might find the burger a bit bland, but I asked for some ketchup and mustard on the side, and this was served in small ceramic bowls.

There was a whole pickled roasted green pepper served on the side, which I sliced and added to the burger.

When garnished in this way, the burger was absolutely delicious...a very nice pre-landing meal...

There was also a small bowl of fresh fruit...

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

A couple more pictures of the bulkhead seat pair...

The J cabin was almost completely full that day...

With the four hour difference between Dubai and Singapore, we began descent at around 5pm Dubai time, when it was still bright and sunny outside...

From the window at row 12, you could see the large Rolls Royce Engines slowing down as thrust was reduced for descent...

...and a smooth landing in Dubai. We parked in Concourse C and could see the shopping below as we headed to the arrivals area. The shopping area was bustling as usual.

The arrivals experience at Concourse C and Terminal 1, which SQ uses, pales compared to the Emirates arrival experience at Concourses A/B and Terminal 3. There is a long distance to walk and parts of the landside arrival area are quite old. However there are renovations in progress and hopefully once complete the experience at Terminal 1 will be updated to match DXB Terminal 3.

There was a bit of a bottleneck at the taxi line at Terminal 1 (Possibly due to the renovations) but I eventually got to a taxi (There are multiple queues and multiple taxi types/rates, none of which is really made clear from the signage).

Less than 30 minutes later, I was at the Sheraton Dubai, a new hotel close to the Mall of the Emirates.

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

The Sheraton Dubai Mall of the Emirates is a very new hotel. It first opened its doors in March 2013.

This hotel is directly connected to the Mall of the Emirates, a very large mall that is a few kilometers inland from Jumeirah Beach and the Burj Al Arab. Both the Burj Al Arab and the Burj Khalifa (in the far distance) are visible from the hotel.

A picture of the Mall interior...

The Mall of the Emirates is a huge, impressive, mall which, apart from the massive number of shops, also houses Ski Dubai, the first indoor ski slope in the Middle East.

There is already a very nice Kempinski Hotel attached to the Mall, and several other hotels a short walk away (Including an Ibis hotel which is great value for money).

The Kempinski is close to Ski Dubai and the restaurant area, whereas the Sheraton is at the opposite end of the mall, close to Carrefour and a large food court.

A very large Carrefour supermarket...

A Middle Eastern set meal from the food court...apart from that, Thai, Chinese, Indian and Western selections were also available.

There is also a Shake Shack in the Mall, which I did not try this time round.

Unlike the US outlets of Shake Shack, no wine or beer was available in Shake Shack (or Carrefour, for that matter), but wine and other alcoholic beverages were available in the hotel restaurants, and the hotel minibar.
                      Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

The hotel was surprisingly intimate.

Arabic coffee and dates...

There weren't many large public areas, just an outdoor balcony and lounge where snacks and beverages (including wine and liquor) were served, and a single full service restaurant serving ala carte and buffet breakfast/lunch/dinner.

There was also an ice cream bar...

There was a decent breakfast spread. Lunch and dinner selections were more limited, with several Western, Indian and Middle Eastern selections. With only one full service restaurant, the Sheraton Dubai did not have a wide range of eating options, but there were a wide range of eating options in the Mall and close by (For example at the nearby Souk Madinat Jumeirah) so I did not see this as a big issue.
                        Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

There was a rooftop swimming pool and lounge area, with great views of the Burj Al Arab and surrounding area.

There was also a large, well-equipped gym.

Comment

My room was very comfortable. A large, room with modern, understated decor in dark brown wood and cream fabric.

The bathroom had glass walls (with blinds). Some people like the glass walls, others prefer solid walls. I find them fine as a single traveller, as it makes the room feel more roomy.

No separate shower stall, but there was a rain shower above the tub.

There was a choice of complimentary internet service, or a paid high-speed option.

Comment

Location-wise, the Sheraton was about 20-30 minutes away from the airport, and close to Dubai Internet City / Dubai Media City, and also fairly close to Jumeirah Beach, the Souk Madinat Jumeirah and the Burj Al Arab.

The direct connection to the Mall of the Emirates was a big plus, as was the convenience of the Carrefour supermarket and Food Court.

I would be very happy staying at the Sheraton for both work trips and holidays.

On a previous trip to Dubai, I stayed at the Kempinski Mall of the Emirates, which is a more luxurious hotel, with larger rooms and suites (some with windows overlooking Ski Dubai), but rates there are usually slightly higher.

The Kempinski would also make a good choice of hotel in Dubai, although in my case the SPG affiliation of the Sheraton would be a big factor in my choice of accomodation.

Overall, I really liked the Sheraton. Comfortable, modern and new rooms, in a very convenient location, with a supermarket, food court and mall close by. Just about all I need, really.
                              Last edited by yflyer; 16 September 2014, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X