No announcement yet.

London and Toronto on BA's 77W and 787 Dreamliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered the parsnip soup, which was delicious....

And the hot and sour chicken, which was fine, but a little sweet, and a little tweaked towards western tastebuds, and not wholly authentic Chinese, I felt.

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

There was also a work area...

and a small kid's room.
      Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I headed for a shower before my flight.

This was functional and spacious, rather than luxurious.

The shower was impressive though, with more spouts and water jets than anyone could possibly need.

Comment

It was soon time to head for my flight. This was in satellite C, which involved a long escalator down to the people mover...

...and onto my newish BA 77W.

This was in a conventional 3-3-3 layout (Thankfully not that hell-with-wings 3-4-3...) and the seat was a very comfortable one, with a very well designed winged headrest which I found very comfortable.

This headrest could move up and down, however the wings were fixed within a curved cushion. I had no trouble finding a comfortable resting/sleeping position on this headrest.

IFE was the same state-of-the-art Thales system in 77W J, and also on the 787.

I was seated at Emergency row 37, where the door did protrude. That said, I still found it a very comfortable seat.

Comment

The Y meal for that evening was either vegetarian pasta, or an "Asian" selection with chicken and Pad Thai.

I put "Asian" in inverted commas, because, although this tasted reasonably good, this was also a little too sweet, and represented a Western idea of what an Asian meal was, rather than a truly authentic Asian or Thai meal.

But as I said, this tasted fairly good, and I polished it off, although I had also eaten in the lounge not long ago.

My meal was accompanied by wine, served by the bottle, in a plastic cup. No real glassware to be seen in BA Y...

Many hours later, we were served breakfast. There were two choices...I was opted for the full English.

This didn't look all that impressive, however the sausage was the best in-flight sausage I had ever eaten (despite looking a little wrinkled). This was a real English Breakfast sausage, and tasted fantastic. Much better than those insipid chipolatas that I have had on almost all other flights...for that alone I give this breakfast full marks!

On the down side, coffee was served in paper cups...

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

My flight arrived on time in Changi on a cool evening.

Overall a very comfortable flight on BA from LHR to SIN in Y. A fairly basic Y meal service, but the Y hard product on their new 77W's was superb, with a great seat and IFE. Service was friendly and efficient as well.

And for frequent flyers, the BA F lounge in T5 is a pretty comfortable place to spend time and/or dine before the flight too...

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Very nice lounge, YFlyer, and the food makes up for what they serve in Y! Thanks for the update.

Comment

Enjoyed taking the trip with you! Thanks.

BA have great products in their 77W/787s.

Are Y seats softer than on SQ?

Did you get the chance to see what legroom was like in normal ( non emex ) Y seats?

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                    Very nice lounge, YFlyer, and the food makes up for what they serve in Y! Thanks for the update.
                    Thanks, CarbonMan! Next time I am in the F lounge, I am going to try the BA Burger!
                    Last edited by yflyer; 14 November 2013, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                      Enjoyed taking the trip with you! Thanks.

BA have great products in their 77W/787s.

Are Y seats softer than on SQ?

Did you get the chance to see what legroom was like in normal ( non emex ) Y seats?
                      Thanks for reading, 9V-SIA! Yes, the Y seats are a little softer than SQ and are quite comfortable. I was in an emex row, so didn't get to try the non emex Y. When I walked around the cabin, it didn't strike me as being more or less cramped, so any difference in pitch with SQ must be small. I'll check it the next time...

Comment

BA16 SIN-LHR in Premium Economy (World Traveller Plus)

Back in London for a few days. Snagged a good fare on British Airways in Premium Y (i.e. World Traveller Plus), and flew here on the daily 77W service, BA16.

My seat today would be 22A, the first row of Premium Y, an emergency row.

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Premium Y is laid out 2-4-2. This makes for fairly comfortable seating.

Seats are very comfortable, covered in dark blue fabric, with moderately soft cushioning.

The armest between the two window seats is wide enough to give each passenger his/her own personal space on the armrest, and also wide enough to have a small drink table at the front of the armrest.

There is no window at the emergency row on this 77W. (But this should be no surprise, as every 77W is the same at this emergency row.) There is a small window in the door, which I could look out of if I loosened my seatbelt slightly, and leaned forward.

The headrest slides up and down, and has curved wings. I found this design quite comfortable to rest my head on, and preferred this to the movable wings on SQ's Y headrest.

Comment

The IFE controller is mounted on the side of the armests. There are two buttons: one to recline the seat, and the other to extend the small footrest.

There was inseat power mounted near the foot of the seats.

The cushioned part of the footrest is quite small, and almost useless. The metal part of the footrest could be raised to different heights, and I did use it to prop up my legs when I slept during the flight. The metal/plastic bar on the footrest was quite hard and narrow, but wrapping a blanket around the footrest helped make i more comfortable.

Other reports mentioned a stream of cold air flowing under the seat. Quite true! But it didn't bother me as my feet were raised on the footrest (and I wore sockettes.). Temperature in the cabin was just right, though.

Comment

Large headphones (Note: the audio socket for headphones is the single 3.5mm plug type.)

Each seat has a smallish pillow (more like a cushion), and a thick blanket.

Each passenger gets an amenity kit:

With am impressive selection of contents (for Premium Y, that is...)

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

IFE is folded out from the armrest. This is a large hi-res widescreen.

The Thales IFE is very impressive, and has been covered in the earlier segments of this TR.

They had a video of the Rolling Stones in concert in this month's selection. Come to think of it, the cost of the top price Rolling Stones concert tickets for their upcoming Singapore performance comes quite close to half of the return airfare to LHR in Y. For those ticket prices, you might as well take a vacation to London, and watch their concert video enroute...

Another one of their selections this month was Ilo Ilo...

Last edited by yflyer; 28 June 2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X