No announcement yet.

End of the nonstops to LAX & EWR on the A345

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My money is on an A359 sub fleet with a J and Y+ cabin.

Restore SIN-EWR and SIN-LAX. Add SIN-SFO.

I'll definitely go back to taking SQ to NYC then!

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
      They shouldn't limit it to just 5 planes again - and to convince Airbus to come up with a new plane, they can't. Looking forward to additions to YVR/SEA, SFO, IAH ... GRU!? And they can get away with F, J and maybe just PY on these flights.
      Maybe even "exotic" destinations like ANC or MSP... Ahh just my wistful thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
        Maybe even "exotic" destinations like ANC or MSP... Ahh just my wistful thinking.
        You can already go to ANC with SIA...

SIA Cargo that is.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
          You can already go to ANC with SIA...

SIA Cargo that is.
          No windows for 20 hours? Nah, I'm claustrophobic!

Comment

• Here's another bird that can do it

a Gulfstream G650ER supported by Universal Weather flight planners flew nonstop between SIN (Changi, Singapore) and LAS (Las Vegas NV) with 3 crew members and 4 passengers. The flight, airborne 14 hours and 32 minutes at an average speed of Mach .85, landed with enough remaining fuel to comply with NBAA-specified IFR reserves.
            http://www.propilotmag.com/archives/...2_Intl_p1.html

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
              Add SIN-SFO.
              I seriously doubt SFO would be added to the mix.
              HUGE AL

Comment

• The aviation press is talking about it seriously.

http://leehamnews.com/2015/07/14/air...-900lr-likely/

Comment

• Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
                  The aviation press is talking about it seriously.

http://leehamnews.com/2015/07/14/air...-900lr-likely/
                  Let it be true! But it always sound easy on paper.

Comment

• We could see the beginning of non-stop NYC services by the end of 2018, powered by A350-900R aircrafts - perhaps:

Airbus Plans Long-Range A350 to Fly Singapore-NYC Direct by 2018

Airbus Group SE’s airliner unit is working on a new variant of its A350-900 wide-body that would allow Singapore Airlines Ltd. to restore nonstop U.S. flights and regain the record for the world’s longest airline sector.

Airbus, which began deliveries of the twin-engine model last year, is working on changes to the cabin layout that would reduce its weight and allow Singapore Airlines to reach New York economically by 2018, said Kiran Rao, the planemaker’s executive vice president for strategy and marketing.

Singapore Air halted near 19-hour direct flights from its home hub to New York in 2013, adding about five hours to the journey with stopovers. Chief Executive Officer Goh Choon Phong said in June there was no commercially viable jet available and that he was pushing both Airbus and Boeing Co. for proposals.

Rao said the A350 should be able to make the trip with 25 percent less fuel burn than older models, at the expense of a less dense layout than the usual 325-seat, three-class A350-900, which could be available “an awful lot quicker than Boeing.”
                    Several other airlines have expressed an interest in such a variant, Rao said, while declining to identify them.

“I can’t go into details on the type of layouts they’re looking at but it would be a premium service,” he said. When Singapore Air last flew to the New York area directly it did so with just 100 business-only seats on a four-engine Airbus A340-500, an arrangement that ultimately proved non-viable.

The route, to Newark in New Jersey, was the longest non-stop commercial air service ever offered at 15,344 kilometers (9,536 miles).

Boeing’s older 777-200LR -- the longest-range jetliner available today -- can span about 17,000 km, according to the U.S. company, and will be used by Emirates to fly the 13,821 km between Dubai and Panama from February. That flight will become the longest single sector currently flown, beating Qantas Airways Ltd.’s Sydney-Dallas Fort Worth route by about 20 km.
                    The 777-200LR entered service in 2006 and the last delivery to an airline was more than a year ago in April 2014.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...direct-by-2018

Comment

• Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
                      We could see the beginning of non-stop NYC services by the end of 2018, powered by A350-900R aircrafts - perhaps:
                      The news is now being carried by more agencies. Looks like it's really serious.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...direct-by-2018

Comment

• Also reported on AusBT.

Comment

• SQ and Airbus reduced the Airbus A350-900 order, makes you wonder if that was to exchange them for A350-900R.

Comment

• Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                            Also reported on AusBT.
                            Nice picture of a 747 tail in that AusBT article. Must drive Airbus PR crazy when this sort of thing happens.

Comment

• Pardon my ignorance, but what's the reason that B777-200LR is not suitable for SIA's ULH flights?
                              Last edited by SQ22; 19 August 2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
                                Pardon my ignorance, but what's the reason that B777-200LR is not suitable for SIA's URL flights?
                                My impression has always been that while they were technically possible, it wasn't profitable to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X