Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JNB-GBE on SAA Express

Background
    This is a write-up on my flight from JNB to GBE (Gaborone, Botswana). Having flown into JNB on SQ478, which i have slept thru with the 2.30am flight-time and hence have nothing to say, and sitting off 2 hrs of layover in the SAA Baobab lounge [see separate thread], i proceeded towards Gate A19 for my flight to GBE (Gaborone, Botswana).

The holding area for the remote standing gates resembles more like a bus terminal for passengers to be transported to the remote standings.

At 09:00, 20 min ahead of scheduled flight time, the 'gate' was opened:

Though most of the passengers boarded the bus, the driver and ticketing agent took quite a while before dispatching us to the plane, resulting in this scene:

In the meantime, i had the opportunity to witness a pallet of luggage [is there a proper term for this?] fallen off a tractor-wagon to block a service road. Took abt 5 mins before a forklift was summoned. I had fished out my camera by now, hoping to capture the drama, alas mine was no SLR and the scene was beyond my point and shoot. My fears that the forklift was the wrong machine was confirmed when the pallet tipped over to spill out the luggage therein, including one brown box with red FRAGILE labels all over it. At this juncture, the driver and agent decided we have waited enough and i was only able to capture this shot. Looks like some pple will be missing their luggage:

After a slow tour of JNB from the airside [the bus had to stop at every junction to check if any aircraft wld jump on us] we finally caught sight of the South African Express ramp.

JNB-GBE
    Flight: SA1783
    Aircraft: de Havilland DASH 8
    Class: Economy
    Seat: 5B

SA1783 was to be a DASH-8; cabin trolleys went to the trunk (aft of plane).

As we were boarding, this sight of engineers hurriedly fixing [whatever] to the nose-wheel was most re-assuring.

Customary leg-shot (5 Botswana Pula (SGD1) royalty to Madam SQFG )

View of towards cockpit from Seat 5B

The props started turning 5 mins before flight time, and at 09:20am sharp the plane rolled off from its standing. 5 mins later, it started down the runway.

Snack bag: 1 x short-cake, 1 x choc bar, 1 x cheezels. and juice and water

Glad they are still turning...

We landed at 09:55am, 15 mins ahead of schedule, at GBE – Sir Seretse Khama Airport. A new terminal building is underway, supposedly to be completed by June in time to ride on tourism fever arising from South Africa’s World Cup, but now probably only to be completed next year.

The new terminal is being built on the turf in front of the old single-story terminal building, a better perspective can be gleaned from this 2005 pic when i last visited.

A SAA A321 - a much smoother and faster ride, i'm sure - pulling away to return to JNB

The arrival hall, and the rest of the public area.

Last edited by jammed; 30 March 2010, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Now that's a TR we don't often read.
      Originally posted by jammed View Post
      After a slow tour of JNB from the airside [the bus had to stop at every junction to check if any aircraft wld jump on us] ...

Customary leg-shot (5 Botswana Pula (SGD1) royalty to Madam SQFG )
      SQFG, when are you cashing in those royalties to fund a Seat Pitch Do?
      Last edited by jjpb3; 23 March 2010, 02:02 AM.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks for the report - brought that chill I have experienced before when you are flying in countries where you question the airworthiness of some of the planes . All good!

Comment

Originally posted by whatsthequestionnow View Post
          Thanks for the report - brought that chill I have experienced before when you are flying in countries where you question the airworthiness of some of the planes . All good!
          tell me abt it, hate that sudden sinking feeling whenever plane descends, that is so characteristic of such props.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            yes yes, SGFG, how much royalties have you collected so far, or is that too personal?

Comment

yes yes, SGFG, how much royalties have you collected so far, or is that too personal?
              I'm guessing SQFG would not be too happy if SGFG got her royalties
              God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                It's the bloody tax man I tell you..... it's so hard to earn an honest living off someone else's legs these days

Do you want that quoted in Dutch Guilders, Greek Drachmas, Italian Lira or Brazilian Cruzeiros?

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                ?

BTW - great TR though, one of those we hardly ever get to see

Comment

wait till you see the return trip, hint - rather than on SQ479 en route to SIN, i'm now in JNB EK lounge

Comment

Thanks for the report jammed

I've been wanting to take that flight for a while but so far my schedule hasn't permitted it.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                      ?
                      These Jedi mind-control tricks, I tell ya... they never work!

Gotta give Pinkfloyd credit for trying, though!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                        Thanks for the report jammed

I've been wanting to take that flight for a while but so far my schedule hasn't permitted it.
                        avoid SA Express at all costs, see my GBE-JNB return adventure. Best choice is SA-nn, as in double digit flight nos which means they are genuinely SA and not SA Express which SA disavowed of responsibility. Where possible also book earliest flight out, with lots of buffer flights and time prior to your JNB connection

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          These Jedi mind-control tricks, I tell ya... they never work!

Gotta give Pinkfloyd credit for trying, though!
                          I blame it on the lack of alcohol and having to work 2 weekends in a row...
                          God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Working...
                          X