Rail links to Changi Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rail links to Changi Airport

Thought we were going off topic, so I brought the discussion to a new thread.

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
    The extension of the EWL from T2 to T5 is out for tender, that's a fact.

The Cross Island Line Phase 1 Prequalification has also started. Tenders will be expected to be out in the 2nd half of 2019. The link from the CRL to T5 is currently not part of the contract CR102 works.

I agree that there are various sources suggesting that TEL as well as CRL may get connected to T5. But the actual URA masterplan draft 2019 is not showing these future connections. (Reference: https://www.ura.gov.sg/Corporate/Pla...ts/East-Region)
    Indeed, CR102 will not build the link through to T5. But if they build as what the Masterplan shows, CR102's work scope should end around the second "toast rack" satellite of T5. You can see this in the URA SPACE map of the draft Masterplan - the website is just pretty PR material. CAG may perhaps be entrusted with building the remainder of the MRT tunnel, to share a right of way with the Skytrain to T5 satellites.

As for TEL, they don't show projects with details that aren't publicly announced yet (or even the publicly announced TEL4/5 didn't show up until DMP2019), but what you can see is a spur line leading off the tunnels after Sungei Bedok. It would be a big loop to go up to T1/2/3 first, so...

What confuses me about T316, is this statement by LTA a while ago:

https://www.facebook.com/WeKeepYourW...40154889388077

LTA is also studying the possibility of transiting Tanah Merah to Changi Airport stations to operate as part of the TEL from 2025 onwards. We are looking at having an additional TEL station at the future Changi Airport Terminal 5, so commuters can enjoy a seamless ride from any Changi Airport terminal to downtown, without having to change trains.
    I'm going to take this to mean that the T2-T5 tunnel, along with the rest of the airport line, can be operated as EWL or TEL. If the latter, there will not be EWL service, the CRL will only serve T5, and that passengers from the CRL to T1/2/3 will have to change at T5 to a TEL train.

But at this point it's probably just arguing semantics. We should be able to find out definitely, later this year when the Land Transport masterplan is released.
    Last edited by yuuka_miya; 10 May 2019, 01:13 PM.
    an infrastructure geek

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
    Indeed, CR102 will not build the link through to T5. But if they build as what the Masterplan shows, CR102's work scope should end around the second "toast rack" satellite of T5. You can see this in the URA SPACE map of the draft Masterplan - the website is just pretty PR material.
    The Transportminister mentioned in 2016 that the government is studying the possiblity to connect the TEL to T5. Since than various government agencies are maintaining this status. To date no official decision has been published. The future will tell.
    In my opinion with the connection of the TEL to the DTL/EWL and the extension of the EWL from T2 to T5 the TEL will already get connected to the airport. For me it is questionable if a direct connection from Sungei Bedok with all above would adds any value and therfor whether it would make economical sense. It may help to connect future facilties and companies around T5 to the MRT network, but for travellers it may not add much value.

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
    As for TEL, they don't show projects with details that aren't publicly announced yet (or even the publicly announced TEL4/5 didn't show up until DMP2019), but what you can see is a spur line leading off the tunnels after Sungei Bedok. It would be a big loop to go up to T1/2/3 first, so...
    This strech is part of the DTL3 and is/will be built as an extension. LTA has announced on their website that it is expected to be opened by 2024

Comment

This is a map of the MRT tracks near Sungei Bedok:

(pardon my poor MSPaint work)

The DTL swerves west to enter Xilin station, while the TEL turns to the east. There's also an access point from the depot to this dead end, what for do that if the intention isn't to be able to send trains directly to Changi Airport?

You can cross reference this with the information boards at the TEL4/5 Project Information Centre in Marine Terrace.
      Last edited by yuuka_miya; 11 May 2019, 11:03 PM.
      an infrastructure geek

Comment

https://www.todayonline.com/singapor...2040-blueprint

TEL will extend to Changi Airport from Sungei Bedok.

Comment

Well I guess that works, but there may be a period of no MRT service while they make the necessary modifications.
          an infrastructure geek

Comment

Working...
          X