Connecting at SFO from Domestic to SQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting at SFO from Domestic to SQ

This is probably the wierdest transit experience I ever had (prob not for US based ppl).

I was disembarking at t3 (united terminal) from an AC flight from YVR (yes, a crisis victim ) with preclearance. The bag is able to be check through to SIN but the agent is not able to issue bp for SQ1.

confused, the info agent suggest me to go out and check in again (they doesn't seem to understand the term 'transit' or 'transit desk') with my bag inside the system (this loophole can be exploited ).

later i found out that without a bp, the 'correct' procedure is to go directly to the intl terminal (there's a passageway inside post-security) and simply wait as per normal until boarding is announced and obtain the bp at the desk there (5 mins prior to boarding) .

Originally posted by albert View Post
    later i found out that without a bp, the 'correct' procedure is to go directly to the intl terminal (there's a passageway inside post-security) and simply wait as per normal until boarding is announced and obtain the bp at the desk there (5 mins prior to boarding) .
    That is common in many airports which do not have a transit desk, or where there is a transit desk but some airlines do not use it (eg SQ at AKL). In those cases you have a choice of going landside to check in, or checking in at the gate.

Still, it could be worse. There are many airports where you cannot even check in at the gate. If your visa situation does not allow you to go through immigration (or if you want to avoid the stamp) then you need to find someone to take your passport (and paper ticket if applicable) and check you in landside while you wait airside. I've had this in several countries. Not recommended for those who are not trusting.

Comment

....confused, the info agent suggest me to go out and check in again (they doesn't seem to understand the term 'transit' or 'transit desk') with my bag inside the system (this loophole can be exploited )....
      There is no such thing as transit desk in any USA airports.

USA airports don't have landside/airside separation as in most other countries. There is no loophole that I can see. You have been precleared into USA. As Kiwi stated, you can obtain your BP at the gate, or at the lounge (if you have access).

....later i found out that without a bp, the 'correct' procedure is to go directly to the intl terminal (there's a passageway inside post-security) and simply wait as per normal until boarding is announced and obtain the bp at the desk there (5 mins prior to boarding) .
      The departure gate is usually staffed one hour prior flight time, not 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
        USA airports don't have landside/airside separation as in most other countries. There is no loophole that I can see..
        The loophole i'm trying to mention is having your bag inside the system (airport) for transit while having the person free to roam (aka blow up sections of the airport etc). i'd guess u can always do similar stuff without needing the baggage inside the system but it can use more 'sophisticated' (creative) approach.

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
        The departure gate is usually staffed one hour prior flight time, not 5 minutes.
        Yes, but they havent start calling the ppl without bp till quite near boarding. There was even this couple who still chill and hold no bp when the rows are being called for boarding.

Comment

The loophole i'm trying to mention is having your bag inside the system (airport) for transit while having the person free to roam....
          This is the case with most interline connections anywhere.

For example, I connected through CDG last month, SQ->AF. My luggage was checked through, but I needed to go to AF desk to get my new boarding pass. I was free to roam around CDG for a few hours.

...Yes, but they havent start calling the ppl without bp till quite near boarding. There was even this couple who still chill and hold no bp when the rows are being called for boarding.
          You can get your BP one hour prior. If some choose not too and wait until the last minute.... well, it is their call.

I am not disputing anything you said. I am just saying all those are pretty standard procedures for interline connections. Nothing weird.
          Last edited by TerryK; 13 January 2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=TerryK;113784]This is the case with most interline connections anywhere.

For example, I connected through CDG last month, SQ->AF. My luggage was checked through, but I needed to go to AF desk to get my new boarding pass. I was free to roam around CDG for a few hours.
            [QUOTE]

yea, i was thinking of the same thing after i posted the post but i couldn't find the delete/edit button.

Comment

I did a transit through SFO last month, flying into SFO from Savannah, with a transit stop at Chicago.... at checking in Savannah, I specifically requested that I retrieve luggage at SFO for re-checking into SQ, 1, because I want to make sure that my luggage had actually arrived at SFO, 2, I have plenty of time to kill and 3, I need to get out of secure area to smoke my life away...
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I've been told that SQ boarding passes are "special" (we knew that) so that even if another airline prints one for you, SQ will want to reprint it before boarding. This is the way it has worked for me. I'm not sure whether SQ considers one to have been technically checked in with the first non-official boarding pass; the time has never been an issue for me yet.

Comment

Working...
                X