Trip Report: SIN - ICN - SFO ; SQ16 New C Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report: SIN - ICN - SFO ; SQ16 New C Class

OK, my first trip report ever. So, please please please be nice to me and I hope you will enjoy.

I started out at 08:20 am Sydney time on SQ 220 to SIN. My schedule called for 2 hour meeting in Singapore with a client of mine and then overnight at the hotel somewhere in town before I fly out the next day on SQ 16. So, I checked in my luggage only to SIN.

Through some coincidences, I ended up rechecked my luggage in SIN right away and decided to overnight at SKL F after my meeting in SIN.

Sorry, that I don't know how to resize this picture. Can someone help? Thanks.

SIN - ICN SQ16 on SWH
    May 16, 2007

I woke up at around 6am to find that I am 2nd in line to use the 4 shower rooms availabe. One was closed for repair (that's what the sign on the door said). After shower, I had a bowl of the Wonton Noodle with Gravy from the noodle station. Time flew and it was about 40 mins. to departure so I headed to Gate E4 which was a new gate since there was a change of aircraft from SWJ to SWH.

So, here it is SWH that later flew me to ICN and SIN.

Boarding was done in time and I was impressed the first time my eyes laid upon the entrance to the F section. It was very spacious and the wood color was very pleasing to my eyes. The F seats look very wide and cozy but I had to keep walking because I travelled on C. Walking past the mini cabin of row 11 and 12, I was amazed at how wide the C seats were as well. I knew I was going to have a good flight when I arrived at 14A.

This was my large 30 inch C class seat:

I asked for Apple Juice instead of Champagne as welcome drink.

I tried on the seat with my legs up diagonally on the side cushion that later connected to the bed as well as on the leg rest. I found them to be comfortable and long enough despite my 6'3" height.

One of the major advantage of 14A is that SQ girls are always at a close distance like what I saw here.

Last edited by UMD; 22 May 2007, 08:06 PM.

I started to explore the functions of the seats and here are several functions that I liked:

The mirror is a nice touch but I don't think I will ever need it. However, the light decor is nice and you can certainly see how private this C cabin is with these new seats. The flight was full in C but I could not see anyone while I sat in my seat. I found the seat also very comfortable, not too wide and the smart placement of the seat belt was designed for passengers to be able to lay their arms on the armrests. The leater was exclusive and a nice touch.

Table is big and can swivel to dine sideway or facing the huge monitor. It is also height adjustable.

snap..snap...snap...

At this point, one of the SQ girls came to me and asked that if I would like to have my pictures taken. She also offered to take my picture in a sleeping position. Knowing that my look would damage the beauty of this trip report , I politely refused the offer.

The reading lights can be set as calm and as spotlight:

I also like the DND button. I guess we will say good bye to one of those sticker soon. I was told that if DND button was pressed, then they would not wake us up for meal unless we have informed the cabin crew prior to our rest.

Satay....delicious as it was out of SIN. The later Satay ex-ICN were not as good.

While lunch was being prepared, I had a chance to take some more pictures of the C cabin:

Magazine racks on both sides of the galley

Comment

The headset can now rest properly on the seats.

I liked the warmth of the new reading lights that are now located on the left and the right side of the seat each with its own switch. Headphone jacks are now also on both sides of the seat.

By the way, this is how far back the seat reclines. I actually found this to be quite comfortable with the leg rest up and that was why I did not bother to flip my seat to bed on SIN - ICN sector.

And the cheese buffet table being set up in the galley:

Meal was then served. I ordered Beef Bulgogi which was delicious despite it was pre-plated (all meals served in round dishes are pre-plated and those in square curvey disches are not). Notice that there is no more tray and table setting is similar to those of F class. Also, the red wine glass are of the right size but it doesn't have any stem.

I will post the menu on the menu gallery.

The starter:

The main:

Sinfully delicious Ben & Jerry's ice cream:

Cheese and Fruit Selection:

Comment

After lunch, I ventured into the toilet to take several shots of the toilets which had been redesigned as well.

The hidden cup holder. Dissapointingly, I noticed that the soap was filled in the scripted E logo bottle.

Towards the end of the flight to ICN, I actually found that I had 2 pillows and 2 blanket (1 is the regular blanket for sitting and 1 is the comforter for sleeping). I would definitely use them on the way to SFO. Now, it is time to explore ICN SKL where I also took several pictures (to be posted later in the Lounge section)

To be continued with ICN - SFO when I find more time.
        Last edited by UMD; 24 May 2007, 02:56 AM.

Comment

UMD: fab fab fab trip report. Thanks!

(Now looking forward to more! See what you get when you raise expectations? )
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Great report, UMD.

That's a very cool toilet.

More, more, more please!

edited to add - Just saw ** question RE resizing. No idea how to resize I'm afraid but you can choose to put up only thumbnails if you're using photobucket. Hopefully someone with significantly more expertise on these things can come along soon to advise you better.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 22 May 2007, 08:56 PM.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Great pics UMD. It certainly looked spacious from the toilet. BTW, how come you were not back at your seat when the 'return to seat' sign was illuminated?

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                Try Fastone Photoresizer, it's very user friendly and it's 100% free for homeusers. Available for download at http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

If you have any problems using it, just pm me, ok.

Comment

Thanks UMD for the great pictures. I was on the same flight SIN-ICN, then had to switch to the good old Spacebed from ICN - YVR, what a letdown , in C a few weeks ago and it brings back nice memories.
                  I took a few pictures, but only those where no-one could see me taking pictures, I guess a little shy but also didn't want to look to excited to be on the new aircraft, though I really, really was.

Comment

Great, great photos! Looking fwd to the photos from the ICN-SFO leg

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                      What I normally do is to resize the picture manually before uploading them. No need for special, complicated photo editors. Microsoft Paint (look in the Accessories folder on your Windows OS) can do the job equally well. Just go to Image -> Strech/Skew and type in 25% or 50%. Voila!

And thanks for the nice pics, UMB!
                      My Cafe Adventures
                      Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                      http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Great trip report, UMD!
                        Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Comment

ICN - SFO; SQ16 New C Class

Double Posting.... Please continue to the next post.
                          Last edited by UMD; 28 May 2007, 11:29 PM. Reason: Double Post

Comment

ICN - SFO; SQ16 New C Class

After managing to snap several photos of the ICN SKL, I decided to head off to the boarding gate as SQ had called for boarding. The weather outside was horrible with winds and heavy rain. Boarding had been quick and smooth and I was back on my 14A again.

We took off in a heavy rain but on time. However, due to the weather conditoin, we all stayed strapped for at least 1 hour before the pilot turn off the "fasten the seat belt" sign.

These pictures shows how the weather was like then.

Since we could not leave our seat, I decided to turn on KrisWorld and went for one of the fine Bahasa CD collections in the new system.

Having listened to 3 songs, I changed from Audio to Games and I picked SUDOKU to challenge myself.

2 hours after take off, we were finally served our satay. With all the shakings from the turbulence and the bad weather, I decided I was hungry enough to go for more satay. So, I asked for 4 chicken satays instead of 3. However, the satays on this sector was a bit too dry and did not fare well with the satays served on the previous sector. My taste bud told me that even the peanut sauce was a bit dry.

Because of the delay in serving, dinner was served immediately after satays. I went for the lamb and it was a big dissapointment because it is too liquidy and tasteless - I could say that this lamb dish was the worst dish that I have ever had on SQ. There were 4 main course selections and 2 (the lamb and the beef) were pre-plated in a new round dish and the other 2 (Noodles and Korean Spicy Fish - look very nice) were not. Someone actually ordered instant noodles instead of the menu selection and SQ actually served the noodle now in a nice big bowl with special lid on top.

The starter, however, is wonderful as you can see here:

After the dinner service, cabin was then dimmed down to the purplish color which was very pleasing to the eyes. SQ was trying to get us to sleep quick....as we only had 6 hours left in our flying time and 4 1/2 hours before our breakfast service.

Last edited by UMD; 28 May 2007, 08:51 AM.

Comment

4 and 1/2 hours later, I was woken up by a gently nudge by one of the SQ girls. It was time for breakfast. I was given an Oshiburi to freshen my face. This had been the best sleep I had on a plane. The new C class seat was a wonderful bed with a special padding, a wide area, a duvet, and 2 pillows. I found myself able to sleep in all the positions that I am used to when I am at home in my bed.

A flip to the route map showed that we had almost reached the coast of Nothern California. The new route map was nice but the time to destination was only updated once every 30 - 60 minutes and not every minute like what we found in the old KrisWorld system. I was told that SQ engineer were still working on this.

The weather here was just the opposite of the weather we experienced when we took off from Seoul.

Breakfast was then served in a clear blue Northern California sky starting with fruit plate and rolls

Followed by my choice of Waffles, Sausages, and Egg Fritata....

Happy with another SQ flight (despite my dissapointment with the main course during my dinner 5 - 6 hours before), I decided to present to the crew a white towel SQ bird that I made from the face towel at the end of the breakfast service.

The coast of Northern California was visible right after the breakfast was over. This is the picture I took after I had a chance to freshen up.

I took the next 2 pictures sitting on this side foot rest of my seat.

SFO was now getting closer and closer.

Last edited by UMD; 28 May 2007, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X