No announcement yet.

The Comedy Awards Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right folks. As people seem keen to post about the plethora of travel awards that seem to appear in some form or other on a weekly basis these days, we have created a Master Thread for them all to be added to when you see fit.

So, when your see that your favourite airline/airport/terminal/hotel/coach company/car park/bus stop/sweet shop/...etc.. is officially the bestest in the whole wide world because it has won a some super duper award, please add it to this thread then we can all share the joy.

Muchas Gracias.

Comment

I vote this thread for Best Comedy on the Internet Award 2009

Comment

Singapore Airlines Continues To Receive Accolades From Around The World

News Release

Singapore Airlines Continues To Receive Accolades From Around The World

08 January 2010

Singapore Airlines again emerged on top in 2009 as favourite airline among business and leisure travellers in numerous international rankings, highlighting its continued focus on product innovation and service excellence.

The repeat awards that Singapore Airlines has been winning over the years encompass categories such as in-flight entertainment, food and beverages, ground services, safety and company management. The awards reflect the Airline’s philosophy to constantly innovate and keep pace with the changing tastes and preferences of consumers.

The Airline was recently named favourite for frequent business travellers in the annual global poll conducted by the respected Official Airline Guide organisation based in London. In the OAG Airline Industry Awards 2009, Singapore Airlines was voted “OAG Airline of the Year” for the 7th time. In addition, the Airline earned top placing in the following categories: Best Airline based in Asia, Best Europe to Asia/Australasia Airline and Best Transpacific Airline.

Condé Nast Traveler (US), a leading travel publication, named Singapore Airlines “Best Global Airline” for the 21st consecutive year in its 2009 Readers’ Choice Awards.

The carrier also secured the “Best International Airline Award” in the World’s Best Awards survey conducted by the US-based travel magazine, Travel & Leisure, for the 14th consecutive year.

Singapore Airlines earned the “Most-Admired Singapore Company” accolade in the Wall Street Journal Asia, Asia’s 200 Most-Admired Companies survey in 2009, for the 17th consecutive year.

In the 2009 Zagat Airline Survey by the US-based Zagat organisation, Singapore Airlines was the Top-Rated International Airline for Premium and Economy Seating.

Readers of a leading regional travel magazine, Business Traveller Asia Pacific, voted Singapore Airlines the “Best Airline” for the 18th consecutive year. In addition, readers rated the Airline as the “Best Airline in the Asia Pacific” and the airline with the “Best Business Class”, “Best First Class” and “Best Economy Class”.

In the Swiss-based Bilanz Survey 2009, Singapore Airlines emerged as the winner in the following categories: Best Worldwide Business Airline (5th consecutive year), Best Airline for First Class and Business Class, Food, Service and In-flight Entertainment.

In AB Road magazine of Japan’s Airlines Top 10 Ranking 2009, Singapore Airlines won in the Best Overall Airline (2nd consecutive year), Best In-flight Service (2nd consecutive year), Best Aircraft Products and Best In-flight Meals categories.

In Fortune magazine’s The World’s Most Admired Companies 2009 survey, the carrier was ranked 33rd.

In the Business Traveller UK Reader’s Poll Awards 2009, readers rated Singapore Airlines as the Best Asian Airline. It was also voted the carrier with the “Best Cabin Staff”, “Best Economy Class”, “Best Business Class” and “Best Long Haul Airline”.

Readers of the Guardian and Observer newspapers voted the Company as the Best Long Haul Airline (for the 6th consecutive year) and with the Best Business Class.

In the Readers Choice Awards 2009 annual survey by another prestigious travel magazine, Jakarta-based DestinAsian, readers gave top marks to Singapore Airlines in the following categories: Best Overall Airline, Best Airline for Premium Class Travel, Best Airline for Economy Class Travel and Best In-flight Entertainment for the 5th consecutive year.

For the 8th consecutive year, Singapore Airlines was inducted into the Travel Hall of Fame in the TTG Travel Awards 2009. In the Skytrax World Airline Survey Awards 2009, it was named the airline with the “Best First and Business Class”. In Aviation Week’s Top Performing Companies 2009, it was ranked 1st in the Mainline Carriers category.

In the Readers Digest Trusted Brands (Singapore) survey, the Airline was awarded the “Platinum Award - Airline Category in Singapore” and the “Gold Award - Airline Category in Asia”. In the 2009 Global Reputation Pulse Survey, the Airline was ranked 10th in the “The World’s Most Reputable Companies” category.

At the Securities Investors Association of Singapore 10th Investors’ Choice Awards 2009, Singapore Airlines received the “Most Transparent Company Award 2009” for the 5th consecutive year, in the Transport/Storage/ Communications Category.

Singapore Airlines is grateful to its customers who have supported the Airline through the years and consistently accorded it high ratings in the various surveys. In the midst of these challenging times, the Airline has upheld its commitment to invest in product and service development. The numerous awards therefore attest to the dedication of the Airline’s staff, and serve as an encouragement to them to build upon their outstanding work.

Comment

Airports Council International announced the top performing airports 2009.

“Thus it is my pleasure to announce the top awards in the worldwide category go to Seoul Incheon International Airport, Singapore Changi Airport, Hong Kong International Airport, Beijing Capital International Airport, and Hyderabad Rajiv Ghandi International Airport. All hail from ACI’s Asia-Pacific Region, a reflection of the region’s strong customer service culture, airport management commitment to service delivery and the high quality of modern passenger facilities at each of these airports.
          Source:
          www.airports.org

Comment

SIA Tops Fortune magazines most admired airline list

Forturne magazine just released a list of its most admired companies. Being US centric the list is headed by Apple, Google and Berkshire Hathaway. SIA is ranked no. 27 overall and tops the airline industry list.

The full story can be found in Fortune Mazaines March 22 Issue. Below is a summary of the industry airline list with 2009 and 2010 scores.

Rank Airline 2010 2009
            1 Singapore Airlines 6.68 6.85
            2 Continental Airlines 6.52 7.71
            3 Delta Air Lines 6.31 6.18
            4 Southwest Airlines 6.26 6.89
            5 Lufthansa Group 6.15 6.57
            6 Cathay Pacific Airways 5.68 NA
            7 Air France-KLM Group 5.60 7.15
            8 British Airways 5.09 5.77
            9 All Nippon Airways 4.85 5.21
            10 Qantas Airways 4.72 NA
            11 AMR 4.06 4.57
            12 US Airways Group 3.75 3.09
            13 UAL 3.70 3.92
            14 Japan Airlines 2.96 NA

Not sure how they completed the survery but SIA done well to top an US centric list.

Gunners

Comment

Changi named World's Best Airport in Skytrax Survey 2010

Changi named World's Best Airport in Skytrax Survey 2010

Posted: 24 March 2010

SINGAPORE: Changi Airport has bounced back from third placing in 2009 to become the "World's Best Airport" this year in Skytrax World Airport survey.

In the annual survey of travellers worldwide last year, Changi was placed third, trailing behind Seoul's Incheon and Hong Kong. But this year, Changi overtook Incheon and Hong Kong to top the ranking. Changi also won the Skytrax award for Best Leisure Amenities.

This is the third Best Airport award Changi has received this year. Last month, the airport won the Top Worldwide Airport by Wanderlust and Best Airport in Asia Pacific by DestinAsian.

Changi has won the awards by Wanderlust and DestinAsian eight and five times
              respectively.

Since its opening in 1981, Changi Airport has won more than 340 airport awards.

Changi Airport Group's CEO, Mr Lee Seow Hiang, expressed appreciation to Changi Airport's many stakeholders for their support.

He said: "Changi's success would not be possible without the affirmation, encouragement and feedback that we have received from our stakeholders, including the millions of passengers and visitors we serve every year.

"This has motivated us to continue to improve and innovate. We are honoured to receive these awards and thank everyone for their vote of confidence."

Mr Lee added: "In an ever-competitive operating landscape, these awards are also a testament to the hard work and tireless efforts of all airport staff and partners in the Changi community to deliver the Changi Experience. I want to thank them too for their contributions."

Mr Edward Plaisted, chairman of Skytrax, said: "This is the largest ever Skytrax airport survey with 9.8 million travellers from over 100 nationalities taking part, and underlines the unrivalled, global coverage of this study.

"Taking pride of place in being named World's Best Airport for 2010 is Singapore Changi Airport.

"Changi has always been one of the world's best performing airports during the 10 years of the World Airport Survey, and I congratulate them on achieving this number one position in 2010.... in what was an extremely competitive survey environment".

World's top 10 rankings in the World Airport Awards for 2010:

1 Singapore

2 Seoul Incheon

3 Hong Kong

4 Munich

5 Kuala Lumpur

6 Zurich

7 Amsterdam

8 Beijing

9 Auckland

10 Bangkok

- CNA/ir

Comment

Congratulations once again! SIN has really great facilities

Comment

Singapore has World's 3rd Greatest Skyline (according to Emporis.com)

Calculated according to the formula (loosely based on the density/spread of skyscrapers as well as the height of skyscrapers) set out annually by Emporis.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNSgc3qXvEU

Comment

AKL being in top 10 is a joke. 40 minutes for outbound immigration the other day at off peak time because only 3 desks were manned

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                      AKL being in top 10 is a joke.
                      As are all travel awards....

Never known AKL to be that bad though, what's gone wrong there ?!

Comment

The usual which applies in this part of the world (SYD, BNE, PER, etc). Airport cost-cutting and forcing pax past more shops means more pax going through narrower space.

Passenger volumes are holding up in the recession (thanks to fierce competition on trans-tasman) but airport took the recession excuse to cut back on things. Result is predictable - more queues, longer walks, more inconvenience to passengers.

Immigration waits can be much longer at peak hours. But ridiculous only having 3 out of about 20 desks manned when there are hundreds of people waiting in the queue. Reminds me of my last arrival into LHR (a day after the underpants bomber so they decided every foreigner needed in depth questioning - just my luck to arrive after a PIA flight).

Comment

I found the list laughable. Seoul, Shanghai.. and Hong Kong at no. 1!

And he/she/they never made clear what the criteria was exactly.

If it is skyscrapers that is key, NYC should be no 1. Singapore and Hong Kong dont have many.. these cities have high-rise buildings, not so much skyscrapers

Comment

Hong Kong has plenty of them. They do happen to be residential as well. Try looking at the New Territories and Lantau Island.

Comment

Two flaws I found with this list's methodology were (1) trying to quantify 'greatest' when that is ultimately about emotional impact on the viewer (thus inherently subjective), and (2) making the list stretch to 10, when it isn't necessarily true that there are ten or more contenders. I mean, really, Bangkok?

For me, 'Greatest Skyline' connotes a group of skyscrapers that, in combination with each other and set against the backdrop of their setting, locks my gaze and causes me to hold my breath in admiration / wonder. Two places clearly make my list: Manhattan and Hong Kong (on some days, depending on my mood, HK might surpass NYC because of the mountains in the background; but NYC does hold a special place in my heart). Chicago is a strong third. (Note: I haven't been to many of the ones on the list given by OP. Shanghai intrigues me.)

I'm not convinced of the need to include more cities in my 'Greatest Skylines' list at the moment.

P.S. A number of cities make my Top Cities list but not for their skyline. Singapore's one of them.
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

^^

I actually question Bangkok, Dubai and Seoul's entries there. Sure you have the tallest building in the world but I don't see as many skyscrapers in Dubai as I do in say LA or even KL.

Comment

Working...
                                X