Noise cancelling headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise cancelling headphones

Is it possible to buy the noise cancelling headphones you get on the plane in J,F or R class (I do know they only work on the planes.) and would it be cheaper than the ones you buy in the shops with the adaptors? The reason I want to know is I have a flight in Y class flight next year and don`t want to use the non noise cancelling ones you are given, but don`t want to send to much on a set of headphones.

Finally, a real question unlike the others.

What's your budget ? You're looking at around S$600+ for noise cancellation (e.g. Bose QuietComfort phones) or half that for noise isolation (e.g. Etymotics ER-4). YMMV but I prefer noise isolation (once you get used to the things stuffed deep in your ears) as noise cancellation won't ever cancel out the noise perfectly.

Comment

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7237

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283
      HUGE AL

Comment

I can't stand with the passive noise cancelling headphones, they are way to big and bulky to cary around.

I spot this http://panasonic.com.au/products/det...?objectID=4827 on the way out from SYD few years ago, and so far I'm loving it, it come with adaptor and nice cary pouch. The only thing is... you need to buy the battery, since it didn't include in package, and buying battery at the airport... is quite a rip off

Comment

They are a teensy bit bulky, but you should look for the Creative Aurvana X-FI. Creative Singapore drastically dropped their price just last month and it's only $199 on special (and quite a few reviews actually commend it as sounding better than the Bose QC3s...). They used to cost $399, so I decided to instead splurge on the QC3s, but I don't mind (they're less bulky). I do think they are the best alternative for someone on a budget and have been considering purchasing a set of these for one of my friends who has also started travelling very frequently.

Comment

I have owned several Bose headphones, from the original QC to the new QC3(didn't buy the QC15). If I were you, I would not buy or recommend anything else other than a Bose nc headphone. You can pick a QC3 in the US for approx $299-$349.

cheers.

Comment

I've had to bring in my QC3s once for some servicing on the left headphone, I'd be rather stuck if I'd bought from the States, so at least local warranty does count for something.

My neighbours have had their QC3s for quite awhile now and after 2 years they reckon they've had to replace the pads on either side because they wear out and become to soft after awhile (he's a heavy daily user and I just use mine when flying, however)... and it wasn't cheap, something like $85 for each side iirc (without guarantee)

Comment

if you are in Singapore, there is a place called Jaben at 1 Coleman Street
                04-11 The Adelphi.

They let u try the headphones before purchase. Just bring some wet tissue along.

Personally, I prefer those In ear headphones that come with ear plugs like tips. They isolate sound very well, small to carry around and gives good audio quality. A decent pair would set you back around S$200.

Comment

Missed this one, but is a bit out off date and covers all headphones not just noise cancelling headphones.

Could merge the two threads together.

Thank you for all the replies. I don`t like the in ear ones, as my ears are both different sizes and don`t like having things going inside my ears anyway. I prefer over the ear headphones, I have tried some Bose which where nice, can not remember model. (did come with plane adaptor.)

Not too worried about perfectly canceling out all noise, as long as I don`t hear the Airbus 330-300 engines.

So here is my list off requirements:
                  1. Over the ear headphones.
                  2. If battery power it must last five hours.
                  3. Not too big or heavy.
                  4. Good sound. (does not have to be great, just better than the ones you get with ipod.)
                  5. Under £300
                  6. For sell in UK,Singapore or Oz. (Easy to take back if anything goes wrong.)

You don`t think Singapore Airlines will let me have a pair for theirs? (they do Bose in R class don`t they?)

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
                    Missed this one, but is a bit out off date and covers all headphones not just noise cancelling headphones.

Could merge the two threads together.

Thank you for all the replies. I don`t like the in ear ones, as my ears are both different sizes and don`t like having things going inside my ears anyway. I prefer over the ear headphones, I have tried some Bose which where nice, can not remember model. (did come with plane adaptor.)

Not too worried about perfectly canceling out all noise, as long as I don`t hear the Airbus 330-300 engines.

So here is my list off requirements:
                    1. Over the ear headphones.
                    2. If battery power it must last five hours.
                    3. Not too big or heavy.
                    4. Good sound. (does not have to be great, just better than the ones you get with ipod.)
                    5. Under £300
                    6. For sell in UK,Singapore or Oz. (Easy to take back if anything goes wrong.)

You don`t think Singapore Airlines will let me have a pair for theirs? (they do Bose in R class don`t they?)
                    Just because you're flying in R doesn't entitle anyone to a free pair of Bose headphones. It's not going to happen unless you hijack a pair from the flight (and you'll need lots of luck to get away with that I assure you)...

For your budget, I don't think you can get past the Aurvana X-Fis.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      I've had to bring in my QC3s once for some servicing on the left headphone, I'd be rather stuck if I'd bought from the States, so at least local warranty does count for something.

My neighbours have had their QC3s for quite awhile now and after 2 years they reckon they've had to replace the pads on either side because they wear out and become to soft after awhile (he's a heavy daily user and I just use mine when flying, however)... and it wasn't cheap, something like $85 for each side iirc (without guarantee)
                      Oh no, I got to spend another $170...both side are a little torn....

Comment

Just because you're flying in R doesn't entitle anyone to a free pair of Bose headphones. It's not going to happen unless you hijack a pair from the flight (and you'll need lots of luck to get away with that I assure you)...
                        Sounds like someone has tried it, your secret is safe with me.

No I was not going to steal them, (that`s as bad as people running of with the magazines.) was going to make a offfer, they could not refuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
                          Sounds like someone has tried it, your secret is safe with me.

No I was not going to steal them, (that`s as bad as people running of with the magazines.) was going to make a offfer, they could not refuse.
                          As far as I'm aware, Kyo+ has yet to try R, let alone Blueberry Class!

Very happy to receive donations to try R... will you be the first to contribute?

Comment

As far as I'm aware, Kyo+ has yet to try R, let alone Blueberry Class!

Very happy to receive donations to try R... will you be the first to contribute?
                            I pledge 1Krisflyer mile

Comment

Too bad redemptions aren't allowed for R!

Comment

Working...
                              X