Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetstar to Europe from SIN

From Pprune

"It seems the Jetstar brand keeps getting stronger and stronger with the long awaited news of the airlines entry into the lucrative European market, set to be formally announced next week. LONDON, FRANKFURT, PARIS

The "kangaroo route" linking London and Sydney has been seen as the prestigious route operated by Qantas, for just about eternity. What initially seems like a strategic deal however, between Jetstar and Qantas, may turn out to be all out commercial war. Qantas is committed to continuing its own operations to London in principle, a higher emphasis being placed on catering to premium product passengers by increasing business/first class cabins.

The 3 daily flights to London currently operated by Qantas will reduce to 2, both operated by A380's with Jetstar operating a daily A330 via Singapore from November 2011. Qantas will also trim its operation and reduce frequency to a single daily A380 on selected days during off peak season (May-Nov) with Jetstar taking up the slack by operating additional services on Thurs, Sat, Mon)

Frankfurt flights begin December 2011 initially replacing Qantas on 3 flights per week (Friday, Mon, Tue ) again via Singapore.

Paris flights begin early January with 2 flights a week, increasing to 3 flights by February. (Thurs, Sat, Tue)

With Jetstar operating at significantly lower cost per seat mile than Qantas, I reckon we will see a significant switch in favour of Jetstar for European operations in years to come. The Qantas branded aircraft being used on increasing high business class routes to north America.

Jetstar European Flights will operate via Delhi - However, the proposed operating licence is currently a matter of debate with the DGAC authorities and only allows for tech stop/crew change/cargo ops only. As with everything in India, bureaucracy is rife and the DGAC are basically holding out for a bigger fee, before granting the pax operations licence Jetstar will need to sell seats to/from Delhi alone. Once granted, (presumably after the DGAC officials are driving their shiny new Mercedes) Jetstar can tap into both the lucrative Indian sub continent pax traffic demand and benefit from the huge India-Australasian cargo market. Until the licence issue is sorted (which I highly suspect will be before operations commence), flights will only be programmed to tech stop."

Any truth in the news?

So we will see SIN-DEL-LHR/CDG/FRA on A332s?
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Do you have the original link please?

Comment

GOD NO!!!!I know these a332 planes don't have the range to go nonstop but this is a throwback to the days of 707's and early 747 services of the seventies to Europe.Anyone here remember the days when we all had to wake up in the middle of the night for a stopover between Singapore and Europe somewhere in either Bahrain,Muscat or Dubai and for a while what was then Bombay?let's not forget Singapore Airlines Milk Run's which ran up to the time the 747-300 came on the scene around 1983-84 to London.What is Jetstar thinking?I for one will be sticking with SQ for any subsequent trips to Europe/Britain in light of this

Comment

Doesn't seem to hold much ground based on the responses at PPRuNe which can be seen here:
        http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting...continues.html

My favourite comment
        Rumour is that they are going to buy NASA's old Space Shuttles and do the following ;
        Paint them in the "orange cancer livery'.
        Hire some International Galaxy Crew and base them at Woomera and fly direct services to the following locations on the Moon - Mare Tranquillitatis (The Sea Of Tranquiity), The Clavius Crater and Hadley Rille, weekly.
        Fit them out with a 13 inch seat pitch (nothing new really)
        Provide 'deluxe meals' including MARS Bars and Miky Way's (sorry).
        I.T systems will be run by Solaris Unix
        Onboard music will be tunes by David Bowie 'Space Oddity', Steppenwolf's 'Magic Carpet Ride', Pink Floyd's 'Intersteller Overdrive', The Police 'Walking On The Moon' plus some Irish folk songs sung by The Qantas Choir.
        Fares start at $49.00 p/p one way (conditions apply such as no Star Jumps allowed and no Leprechaun jokes permitted).
        The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Originally posted by SQADL333 View Post
          GOD NO!!!!I know these a332 planes don't have the range to go nonstop but this is a throwback to the days of 707's and early 747 services of the seventies to Europe.Anyone here remember the days when we all had to wake up in the middle of the night for a stopover between Singapore and Europe somewhere in either Bahrain,Muscat or Dubai and for a while what was then Bombay?let's not forget Singapore Airlines Milk Run's which ran up to the time the 747-300 came on the scene around 1983-84 to London.What is Jetstar thinking?I for one will be sticking with SQ for any subsequent trips to Europe/Britain in light of this
          Sorry but your wrong, the A330-200 can go SIN > LHR nonstop. The distance between the 2 airports is about 10,800km and the A330-200 has a range of about 13,400km.
          See here: http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamili...0/performance/
          Last edited by FN-GM; 12 June 2011, 06:32 AM.

Comment

This is rubbish - dont believe it.
            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Is this for real? Any official link?

Comment

Does jetstar have enough A332 currently? Do they have anymore order's arriving anytime soon? Will they be based in SIN?

Comment

Originally posted by sealalula View Post
                  Does jetstar have enough A332 currently? Do they have anymore order's arriving anytime soon? Will they be based in SIN?
                  They have another 5ish to come yet. Also when QF get some 787's JetStar should get some one the A330's that QF have been leasing from them.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                    They have another 5ish to come yet. Also when QF get some 787's JetStar should get some one the A330's that QF have been leasing from them.
                    Wasn't JQ the first to get the 787s rather than QF ? And shouldn't JQ lease the aircrafts from QF rather than vice versa as QF is the parent company of JQ ?

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                      Wasn't JQ the first to get the 787s rather than QF ? And shouldn't JQ lease the aircrafts from QF rather than vice versa as QF is the parent company of JQ ?
                      pass. Although i do know QF is using some of the JQ A330's

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                        pass. Although i do know QF is using some of the JQ A330's
                        Are they the -200 or -300 series ?
                        Last edited by sealalula; 14 June 2011, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sealalula View Post
                          Are they the -200 or -300 series ?
                          -200s.

Comment

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...621-1gdlx.html

Hmm, lets see what would be the announcements by Qantas later today.
                            My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                              http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...621-1gdlx.html

Hmm, lets see what would be the announcements by Qantas later today.
                              I thought this link is about Jetstar confirming the route to Europe from SIN, not yet...

But it's surprising that Qantas is not doing well, I believe is primarily due to high labour cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X